Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My A/C is blowing hot air. I took the X to the dealer and the invoice reads:

"INSPECTED: Found High Side A/C House leaking and compressor clutch failing.

Recommend: Replace High Pressure Hose and Compressor."

I was told by the service tech to replace the entire compressor. I have come to find out I can buy the clutch separately. Is it worth it or should I just replace the compressor, hose, and clutch? What do you guys recommend? Any aftermarket recommendations for any of those? I have found they vary from $300-$600 for compressor with clutch. Thanks!!

2005 Nissan Xterra SE

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
If its the factory compressor just replace it . Check ebay for remaned compressors cheap. I hate to see you put a clutch on and the internals fail . What exactly was wrong with the old one ?

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
They also rec. to replace the entire compressor for more reasons. Less liability if it fails again( parts warranty vs. technician error), ease of repair, and sometimes the labor it takes to replace just the clutch is similar to part cost and replacement time of the whole compressor.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
951 Posts
Cost wise with labor you are usually within $20 or so between replacing the entire compressor or just the clutch. You need special tools to change the clutch as well. Every time I have had the problem I replace the compressor, much much faster.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts