Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

So I LOVE :love4: my Raingler RN90 Upper Rear Half-Divider net. This thing is great! But.... I was not very keen on how it attaches (especially when used with my new rear cargo rack!). I don't like the way that it tilts way toward the back at an almost 45% angle. I also don't like the way it attaches to the seat belts. I decided that I wanted it to mount more vertically and be free of the seat belts as well. The solution was to take some footman mounts, which Raingler sells as well as most hardware stores, some long sheet metal screws, and some 1/2" PVC pipe for use as spacers between the headliner and the sheet metal. When not in use, the footman mounts blend in just fine, since they are both out of site by being behind the C-Pillar and there are already a bunch of factory steel hoops hanging all over back there. Anyway, heres pics:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Hooks blending in with all the other hooks:

Using PVC as spacers:

Update 8-21-2012: Since the original making of this thread, I got a puppy. Since she rides with me everywhere, I keep the seats folded down and have needed a pet divider to keep her out of the front seat area. I started with this total P.O.S. from Amazon and hated it, so I added mounts to the B-pillars to mount my RN-90 in the front for use as a pet divider. I like the look much better cosmetically, but beware, if your dog is a chewer this may not work for you. Also as a note, the RN-90 works, but if I were to do it over I'd get the full divider instead. Here's before and after pics:

Sadie doesn't seem to care either way:

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I used the footman mounts with metal spacer for the middle strap, it works good.
I like how yours looks on top, might have to do that too.
nicely done.
I will say that if I were to do it again, I would have mounted the top footman mounts so they point front to back rather than sideways. Still works either way, but would have had less bunching.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
This is awesome, I'm so glad this thread got bumped. Will definitely be doing this mod this weekend. Looks like those plastic panels just pull straight away from the pillar? Any suggestions on what screws to use? I'd like this to hold up in case of an accident where gear would get pushed against the net. Thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
Ok, I bought the footman loops and all of the supplies I thought I'd need to tackle this. However, while trying to remove the plastic from the c-pillar I couldn't get it apart. I'm assuming that the clip at the top of the pillar is something I could buy and replace fairly easily since it won't hold well anymore.

Right now I'm just a little gun shy because I'm apprehensive to drill into the c-pillars without being positive I'm doing it right. Does anyone have a slightly more detailed set of instructions?

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, I bought the footman loops and all of the supplies I thought I'd need to tackle this. However, while trying to remove the plastic from the c-pillar I couldn't get it apart. I'm assuming that the clip at the top of the pillar is something I could buy and replace fairly easily since it won't hold well anymore.

Right now I'm just a little gun shy because I'm apprehensive to drill into the c-pillars without being positive I'm doing it right. Does anyone have a slightly more detailed set of instructions?
You can see the clip in the bottom pic, but as a tip, lowering the seat belt all the way helps allow you to pull the cover back more. I just pulled it back, I did not completely remove the cover.

As a side note, I have also added footman loops to the B-pillar and am now using this as a dog barrier with the seats folded flat. I'll try to remember to post up pics sometime.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
As a side note, I have also added footman loops to the B-pillar and am now using this as a dog barrier with the seats folded flat. I'll try to remember to post up pics sometime.
Did you have any trouble getting screws into the B-pillar? I put a D-ring (same ones as you used right near the rear hatch) on the driver side B-pillar and couldn't for the life of me get the screws to go into the metal (at the top of the B-pillar). Not sure if it's harder steel or what but it just kept destroying my screws. Finally did it by drilling bigger holes but the screws barely have anything to grab into and I don't trust it to hold anything except a bungee for privacy curtains.

I had zero problems getting screws into the same spot on the C-pillars though.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did you have any trouble getting screws into the B-pillar? I put a D-ring (same ones as you used right near the rear hatch) on the driver side B-pillar and couldn't for the life of me get the screws to go into the metal (at the top of the B-pillar). Not sure if it's harder steel or what but it just kept destroying my screws. Finally did it by drilling bigger holes but the screws barely have anything to grab into and I don't trust it to hold anything except a bungee for privacy curtains.

I had zero problems getting screws into the same spot on the C-pillars though.
Make sure to use sheet-metal screws. If you use wood screws, that will happen. Using sheet metal screws it is solid anchor point.

·
Premium Member
22,508 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update 8-21-2012: Since the original making of this thread, I got a puppy. Since she rides with me everywhere, I keep the seats folded down and have needed a pet divider to keep her out of the front seat area. I started with this total P.O.S. from Amazon and hated it, so I added mounts to the B-pillars to mount my RN-90 in the front for use as a pet divider. I like the look much better cosmetically, but beware, if your dog is a chewer this may not work for you. Also as a note, the RN-90 works, but if I were to do it over I'd get the full divider instead. Here's before and after pics:

Sadie doesn't seem to care either way:

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Nice dude, did you have to use spacers upfront too or just screw them in?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts