Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's what 4 Wheel Parts quoted me. That's for the kit ($305), new rear shocks (about $150), and the install and alignment. $500 for labor and alignment on a spacer and shackle kit?? That seems high as hell to me. Is this anywhere near normal? Will I at least get a reach-around??

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Umm, yeah, a bit high. Most shops are $80-$100 per hour. With a lift and air tools, they should be able to have the lift on in 2-3 hours. An alignment shouldn't be more than $60-$80.

·
on line
13,466 Posts
dAMN DUDE...............I say if your going to spend that much cash on that lift, id just go buy someting better from prg. That seems like a whole lot of money for that lift. I get it the labor and all. But are you REALLY not able to put it on yourself with a friends help? Or better yet check around at other shops and see what they would charge to do it.

·
on line
2,573 Posts
Depending on where you are from there are a ton of people on this forum that would be willing to help out.

I've had Keith ( Kokopop ) swing on down to my Shop and lend a hand with my Shrock bumper install as well as my PRG Lift. Everyone here is up for a mod day given that it fits in their schedule.

Plus YOU can say that you installed it as well as be able to fix it if something happens down the road. It's nice to get your hands dirty once in a while.

Where are you from by the way?

DaveP

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, fellas. I would love to either do this myself or have a fellow member assist/have a regional mod day. I’m mechanically inclined, but with a caveat…I live in a condo, no garage, with a very limited tool set due to very limited space. So my options are to take it somewhere and have them install it, or as you mentioned call on a fellow forum member.

I thought that price sounded dam high…. For the record, I live in South Denver (DTC area). I know there are a bunch of other CO X owners around, but being a n00b, I’m not familiar with them….

·
on line
3,262 Posts
You can do this in a parking lot if you want, its that easy (but you will need someone who has done it before just to speed it along). It should only take a couple of hours, TOPS.

You wont really need any special tools for this job. Lets see, if i remember correctly I think its a 14mm socket for the three coil bucket screws. A big a$$ed breaker bar and two 19, 20, 21 or 22 mm sokets (dont remember what size) and extension for the lower controll arm mounting bolt. Thats all you need for the front (dont forget a back up socket or wrench). And honestly I think other than that all you will need is anothre 17mm socket for the rear shocks. I think this list would also cover what you need for the shackles. A floor jack works wonders but isnt necissary, and a couple of medium sized jack stands will be needed.

Do it yourself for sure.... let everyone in your condo complex think you are a hick... who cares!!! LOL!

·
on line
1,638 Posts
I live in a condo with parking out in the open- no garage, no covered spaces- I've done both my SL and BL with nothing more than a cheap bottle jack, some wrenches, and socket set from Walmart. Ohh and some scrap wood I picked up behind Home Depot. That's all you need.

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Nice...you've almost convinced me to do it....

Truthfully, I'd rather do it myself any damn way. I wouldn't be the only one...there is a modded-to-the-hilt Land Rover living in my parking lot as well.

·
on line
666 Posts
I live in Denver on East Arapaho... I'd be glad to do a little wrenchin! Maybe it'll help get me off of my ass and get mine lifted

·
on line
1,045 Posts
I live north of you guys and am going to do the Daystar lift at some point in the near future as well... I'd be willing to help so I can see how it all goes together!

Hell, we're supposed to do Caribou Saturday, maybe we can get some of the others to help do it after the run as well?

·
on line
279 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Schweet....I'm unable to do the run Saturday (as I indicated in another thread), but I'm all for planning a day to tackle the Daystar installs. My kit should be on the way shortly...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts