Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I am still just a small fry, in this site.. If this was spoken about OOp's.

trying to find photo's on how the warn 9.5ti winch is mounted on a Shrock bumper. How it looks, fits, Is it easy to plug remote in.. engage lever etc.

any one have one? will mount to my white X.

It's the only bumper, I am told to buy. That is a good thing... means its a good product.

thought would ask.

thx

·
on line
15,651 Posts
I have the Warn 9000i winch. Everything is in a similar location.

The lower part of the front bumper had a large access hole to reach up and move the clutch. You can also reach the remote plug from the same hole with little trouble. Warn does make a remote extension and shock supplies two holes on top of the bumper to mount the extension (you obviously pick which hole you want to use).

Just so you know, the winch mounts feet first with the front of the winch pointing up. It's totally enclosed in the bumper which keeps prying eye away.

As for bumpers, there are only currently two available (Shrockworks and Calmini). IMO the Shrockworks is a nicer bumper, but that's just an opinion.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx, for the info.. based on what I seen of the bumper its real tight to get into the winch.

might have to do some cutting to add hole for bigger hand with gloves on.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I hope to locate one on a X in my travels in Oregon.. if I can locate one.. will see what it look like.

sound like a Die grinder to expand the hole, but to make sure the Structure is intact.

I did check with warn.. They will not being making any bumpers for Exterra anytime soon. dam.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Problem is, even cutting the hole larger isn't going to give you much more room. And as I said, unless you have king kong hands, you won't have a problem.

·
on line
641 Posts
Chug said:
trying to find photo's on how the warn 9.5ti winch is mounted on a Shrock bumper. How it looks, fits, Is it easy to plug remote in.. engage lever etc.
My first suggestion would be to call Jim at Shrockworks and ask if he knows for sure whether or not that winch will fit.

Secondly, it may make a difference if you have an automatic transmission, because then you may have a transmission cooler, which reduces the amount of clearance between the inside of the Shrock bumper and the front of 'the radiator'.

I have a Warn M8000 mounted in my Shrock front bumper:
http://thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=4114

As for your questions:

1)
How it looks.
Doesn't matter - it will be almost completely hidden by the bumper :)

2)
Is it easy to plug remote in.
I'd suggest mounting the connector for the remote on top of the bumper.
Open the winch, disconnect the wires that run to the existing connector, and connect wires that run to an extra connector (that you bought from Warn) mounted on the bumper. Or remove the connector that comes with the winch, and extend it's wires.

3)
Is it easy to engage the clutch lever.
It's not difficult with mine. You just reach up from underneath and move the lever. Yours wont be much different than mine.

4)
How it fits.
Well, that's the bigger question, isn't it ;-)
4-A)
We know the M8000 fits, and you can see it's dimensions on the Warn website:
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/M8000.shtml
You can also see the dimensions of the 9.5ti:
http://www.warn.com/truck/winches/src/9.5ti.shtml
4-B)
You can see that they have the same mounting locations.
4-C)
The 'drum + clutch end' for the M8000 is 14.67 inches, and is 14.7 inches for the 9.5ti. For the M8000 the clutch lever goes 7.61 inches back from the winch's mounting surface. For the 9.5ti, that dimension isn't shown, but it looks to be quite similar. These two factors are what led to my conclusion #3 above.
4-D)
With the longer length of the 9.5ti, the extra 2.1 inches will all be on the passenger side. Jim can tell you what the distance is from the winch mounting centerline to the internal bracket on the passenger side.
4-E)
If the 9.5ti's width isn't an issue, the next thing to consider is it's 'height'.
It is 10 inches 'high'. Of course the winch mounts 'feet first' into the Shrock bumper, so that means it will take up 10 inches towards the radiator. I don't know the exact 'height' of the housing of the M8000, but it's certainly less that that of the clutch lever, so my guess would be under 7 inches. For the 9.5ti, compared to the M8000, that "extra 3 inches" is likely going to be the biggest issue. You can see in this photo that my M8000's housing is almost touching the grille support brace, which, as per the Shrock install instructions, has been cut and bent back:

·
Read Only
656 Posts
Chug said:
I did check with warn.. They will not being making any bumpers for Exterra anytime soon. dam.
If Warn's bumpers for Jeeps are any indication of what they would make for our trucks, be thankful they don't make one. My son has both front and rear on his Wrangler and the quality control on these is awful. It took hours for us to get the rear one installed because the holes that were predrilled in the Warn did not line up at all w/ the Jeep frame. We had to re-drill and re-align all the bolt positions. Extra holes had to be drilled in the frame, one of which was extremely close to the gas tank (had to put a steel plate in between as a backstop). Finally, bolting the thing down thru those cute little "W's" on each corner was another pain in the ass. Over Christmas break I had to go help my son pick up his rear bumper out in the middle of the street where it fell off. The cheap hardware that came w/ the thing sheared off and it dropped while he was going up a hill. Thankfully it was in my neighborhood at night instead of on the Interstate during rush hour. I personally wouldn't buy another Warn bumper for any vehicle.

·
on line
3,592 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WOW, Just on that info alone... The shrocks bumpers are the Cat's Meow! to have. Sounds like the winch will fit nice.

time to save up my copper pennies, Will be buying that bumper.

Thx guy's for all your input. Learning so much more from this site then the user manual. :)

·
on line
1,792 Posts
I've got the 9000i in my Shrock bumper. But when I was considering the 9.5ti, Jim at Shrockworks told me it would fit no problem.

That 9.5's a nice looking winch. Supposed to be great for wet, muddy conditions, as people probably know. I decided to save the money, for the amount I'll probably use the winch. And most of my wheeling is in the desert.

I almost ordered the extension, but like muzikman, I've found that my hand fits in the opening no problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts