Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

61 - 80 of 113 Posts

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
Going to post this to the FS forum, but will give this group a shot first. Crux 5' bridges. Brand new. $250 and delivered at the CH run. I bought two sets of these a few years back, with the expectation a buddy (a Jeeper) would be picking up the second set from me. Never did. They have been sitting in the rafters, forgotten. Unearthed them today as I was packing. Two photos show the all new components. The third photo shows the assembled set that I have. Used them once and they got a Yukon over some rocks nicely.

Website
Extended Length Bridging Ladders

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,169 Posts
FYI

For those of you planning on the "optional Friday," here is a photo of the river crossing on the Sourgrass trail taken 6/22 and posted on a jeep forum.

The poster wrote, "I have to say the river crossing was a bit of a bitch. This trail has gotten a little harder over the last few years. . . ."

Also, "The river crossing gave a lot of people fits when I was there as well saw carnage on more then one Jeep . The by pass was heavily used."

·
Desert Explorer
332 Posts
FYI

For those of you planning on the "optional Friday," here is a photo of the river crossing on the Sourgrass trail taken 6/22 and posted on a jeep forum.

The poster wrote, "I have to say the river crossing was a bit of a bitch. This trail has gotten a little harder over the last few years. . . ."

Also, "The river crossing gave a lot of people fits when I was there as well saw carnage on more then one Jeep . The by pass was heavily used."

Any pictures of the bypass?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Sorry but I'm out. Not only did I put in for wrong weekend off but worse we lost a very long time friend in automobile accident. Memorial for him has been set for next weekend.
Hope everyone has a safe run.

·
Same Country as Bucksnort
14,613 Posts
You will be missed. My condolences on a lost friend.

GeoXplorer and LNXPenguin say the trail appears to have too much snow on it.

I am sure they will post an alternative when discovered.

These were the mustard's I picked up in London.
These were purchased at the Burrough market in London.
German, French and English shops.
15 counting the one other French one in the fridge.

Brats should be tasty, no matter where eaten.

·
14,613 Posts

LNXPenguin says dome was camp-able for Dave and Bob.
but there were some trees in trail and some snow to go through.'

This snow shot on 7n09 was called impassible by the rangers.

he also says Corral Hollow trail is impassable

·
14,613 Posts

This is Lake Sterling.
This is Dan.
This is Dan at lake Sterling at 7000 feet, note the snow around the edges of the lake.
He is camping here tonight.
Lets be more like Dan.

See everyone on Friday.:grin::grin::grin:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hey everyone! Time to get on the forum and give you all an update following the pre-run with Walter and Bob last weekend. First things first: THANKS to those guys for taking one for the team and joining me on the pre-run. I couldn't have done it without them and they worked hard and stayed late to help check out the trails and open them up.

Ok, onto the report. The bad news as has been indicated already by LNXPenguin: the Corral Hollow trail won't be fully accessible this weekend due to too much snow. Absolutely amazing! When I rescheduled the trip for mid-July I never thought we would have to worry about snow. The snow doesn't carpet the area, but rather the deep drifts just aren't melting out of the forest. We were warned by rangers and a couple other folks that the trail was still impassible, but we still needed to see it for our own eyes. We were able to make it in from the eastern trailhead through most of the rough sections 1.6miles until we just couldn't go any further. Lucky we only had 3 rigs to get turned around and lucky we only met one jeep on the way out in a rather convenient spot.

We also tried the Mt. Reba trail (first). We didn't even make it up to the spot I got stuck last year before having to turn around!

Then--after talking to some nice folks at the entrance to 7N09 (Including bshieck on this forum), we headed into Bear Trap Basin (the other side of the Corral Hollow trail. We made it no problem, but there is still snow on that run in a few places. The camp area is nearly free of snow, except for a small patch where Dan will have his tailgate. Shortly thereafter we recovered a stranded "brodozer" out of a snow bank (worthy of a story around the fire...), turned around and headed back out.

The rangers had told us about an impassible snow bank on 7N09 that was cutting off traffic to places further out, so I decided we better find out exactly where it was. After talking to a nice (re: chatty) fellow along the way that told us we wouldn't make it, we found the spot in the photo a couple posts up. After walking it and talking about it, we went for it and made it unscathed. Yippee! That allowed us to head up one of the other feeder roads to the Mattley Ridge and Meadow complex. We got further than we expected, but still got turned around by several snow patches on the last steep up section to the ridge. Rats.

By the time we had cut the large log that shows in the other photo, it was at least 7:30 and more road ahead of us. Fortunately no more big obstacles, and Walter was able to head out to his friend's house, being able to report in after he made it back over the large 7N09 snow patch. Bob and I made it out to the top of Calaveras Dome without too many more obstacles exactly when the sun went behind the ridge at 8:30. Phew! What a day. Note: food and beer on the dome in the dark is still awesome!

The next morning he and I cleared a few hazards that we had driven around on the road to the dome and eventually made it over to what I have dubbed "Garden Ridge", which is a trail we did at least once. It took awhile due to sightseeing and clearing the road (we were the first ones on it this season). Ended with lunch on Blue Creek and drove on out.

Ok, ok. Stop writing Dave. Here's the scoop for this weekend. We're still ON! Just like 2 years ago, we'll make something work .

My plan:
Friday: The meeting place is still at the Liberty Vista Point 18 miles east of Arnold (see opening post); run all of Bailey Ridge, north to south (we ran about half of it 2 years ago); then back to Camp Cuneo area somehow; then run Garden Ridge uphill, and out to the Dome for night 1 and plenty of time for lounging and sharing your local brew with brats graciously offered by nworker and Ckayaks (and 132 mustards courtesy of Chris).
Saturday: run the east end of Mattley Ridge, Flagpole Pt, and Jelmini Basin before camping at our usual spot in Bear Trap Basin. Again, plenty of time to lounge, or, what I'm thinking, for those interested, is running further up Corral Hollow Trail until we have to turn around (I think in the woods near Corral Hollow proper. And, depending on the time, we can hike from there up the road to the great viewpoint overlooking the upper North Fork of the Mokelumne River. Then back to camp for a righteous tri-tip dinner courtesy of LNXPenguin.
Sunday: We didn't run Sourgrass last weekend, but Mr. Bills has already posted about the traffic and creek crossing (thanks Mr. Bills!). The turnoff from Hwy 4 is back in Dorrington, so I'm thinking that should be the Sunday morning option. I'm happy to lead folks over there. At the beginning of the trail is a nice picnic area along the river for those that don't want to rock crawl, or, folks can just head on out. One last option is if we didn't run up to the overlook the day before, some folks can do that in the morning.

WARNING: don't be late! Use Google Maps to find your destination and then add half an hour. There is still one-way road control happening between Arnold and Big Trees park, and you will be there on a Friday when they are working. Fortunately the paving delay from last year is gone. Plus, this Saturday is the Death Ride (famous bicycle event) that will have hoards of folks coming out and more planned road closures for Saturday out east of Alpine Lake.

Lastly, I noticed that Snowshoe Brewery is up for sale (still open for business). So, if you have a cool $850,000 burning a hole in your pocket, your next career may be ahead of you. https://www.bizbuysell.com/Business-Opportunity/Real-Estate-Included-The-Snowshoe-Brewery/1593037/

PS I spent half an hour trying to figure out why my photos are up-side-down....no wonder people send their pictures to CH for him to post.

Attachments

·
14,613 Posts

1. GeoXplorer
2. CKayaks
3. chrishaynesusa
4. Dwinel (Bob friend of GeoXplorer from BRD trip)...a made guy :wink:
5. Mr. Bills
6. XKNUT
7. BowHunterra
8. nworker
9. TurtleX
10. LNXPenguin
11. patoconnor61
12. Mistachael

Looks like 12 rig is going to be the final number.
This is a good number and our newest addition is Mr Pat Connor with HAM LICENSE whhhoooo HHHooooo!!!!!!

Road frequency is 146,520mhz
Trail frequency is 147.480 mhz

Looking foreward to the bro-dozer story :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
190 Posts
Can't wait... Love the new schedule of Sourgrass being on Sunday instead of Friday, so I'm not gonna miss it.

See you guys Friday evening at Granite Dome.

·
Registered
4,583 Posts
Jess ... Really going to miss you this trip.
So sorry for the reason ... my greatest condolences.

·
14,613 Posts
FYI for Googlers......

I show Hells Kitchen Overlook at exactly 18 miles from Arnold and 1/4 mile from the entrance to 7n09.
Perhaps the name has been changed?

I took the little golden google man for a walk there and the blue sign is there as well and it is our normal meet spot.

Leave around noonish today :grin:

Staying in Arnold tonight across from the brewery. :drink: :drink: :drink: :drink:

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Good catch, Chris. Google Maps has the name incorrect for the pull out. It's easy tho...it's the first vista point on the highway. And thanks for repeating the ham frequencies.

I'll second other folks comments, Jesse. We will miss you and condolences.

I'll be headed out around noon also today. Going to run Bailey Ridge this afternoon since we didn't have the time last weekend. If anyone wants to join, we're going to meet at the Big Trees market at 3pm. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

I have 2 growlers filled from Santa Clara Valley brewing. 1 porter and 1 imperial red. Mmmmmmm:eek:ccasion5::drink: I'll have appetizers for both meals. Always good to have munchies on the dome.

Lastly, who else is coming in "late" on Friday besides Norbert and Cass? Do you guys need directions? I'm sure Cass has a GPS track! Anyone showing up Saturday morning?

·
Premium Member
610 Posts
My plane lands at ~1030. Back from San Diego conference. Plan on rolling out of Mtn View by noon. Ping me if the track is needed.

One possible complication. X in shop currently. The slider bolts were tearing out of the frame, engine mounts broke, front brake rotors scored. (All them miles in Death Valley and the Mojave desert! ) Should be done today. Will know for sure this afternoon.
Cass

61 - 80 of 113 Posts