Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If anyone is looking for the hard to find 8 gal Action Packers, Lowes has them in a four pack for 80 bucks. They will not sell them separate though. I tried 2 Lowes and they wouldn't do it.

If you have an Orchard Supply (California only I think), they are selling them separately for 25 bucks a piece.

Amazon Prime has them for 35 bucks.

Just thought I would let everyone know.

Al

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Damn, I'm getting old thinking that it wasn't all that long ago these little boxes were like $12 at WalMart, lol. Do like them (have one from the olden dayz), but couldn't justify that sort of cash for one :)

·
West North Central Regional Moderator
9,790 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
8 gal. Action Packers may be back at Walmart! I saw them today in my local Wally for $14.98, after I paid $60 for two from REI when I first got my X three months ago :facepalm:

Checking Wally online shows they're listed as in stock at my store and one other nearby, other close stores still listed as out of stock.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yep, those would work well as gear totes for a good price.

The reason one just HAS to have two 8 gal. Action Packers is they're key to the easy method of making the back of the Xterra sleepable. Passenger seat bottoms and headrests removed, seat backs folded down, front seats moved all the way forward. Action Packers then placed in passenger foot wells, they have the almost perfect height and footprint to complete a level sleeping area that's over six ft. long. Lids are strong enough to be climbed over.

One of the great Xterra hacks.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
8 gal. Action Packers may be back at Walmart! I saw them today in my local Wally for $14.98, after I paid $60 for two from REI when I first got my X three months ago :facepalm:

Checking Wally online shows they're listed as in stock at my store and one other nearby, other close stores still listed as out of stock.
Thanks for the heads up. Just checked their website and noticed they also sell a 35gal one as well.. didn't know that! Will be getting one to complete the collection of 8, 24 and 35gal. Awesome!

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
The reason one just HAS to have two 8 gal. Action Packers is they're key to the easy method of making the back of the Xterra sleepable.
I wouldn't say they're key... I don't have any and have slept in mine numerous times. Threw my air compressor under there once to hold it up. flipped the lower portion around and made it work before too, just wasn't perfectly flat.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I wouldn't say they're key... I don't have any and have slept in mine numerous times. Threw my air compressor under there once to hold it up. flipped the lower portion around and made it work before too, just wasn't perfectly flat.
OK, maybe "one just HAS to have" isn't strictly true, there are other more cash preserving ways to fill the space. But for me the kit perfection/price ratio, even at $30, was a good choice. And yes, I feel like I've spent more time obsessing about my camping gear than actually camping :wink:

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Besides filling the space behind the seats, not really seeing the need for small 8 gal totes when 24 and 32 gal exist . Maybe they ride on tbe roof better? someone got a setup that these really benefit?
Small totes, whether Action Packers or the Commanders or "Joe Blow" brand, can hold seldom used items such as (in my case) air compressor, tools, or recovery straps and yet be easily accessed. Also the GF and I keep binoculars, cameras, and other items in one to keep those items from flying around in the back. Naturally, we don't sleep in the back, but we do like things to be organized.

To each their own, some will want them, others will find a work around, and still others see no need for them. :wink:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. Saw these prices at local stores as well, amazing deal given the amount these have gone for in the past. FYI, the 24- and 35-gallon sizes are also very cheap at Walmart ($24.xx and $39.xx, respectively).

·
TNX Veteran
3,985 Posts
Besides filling the space behind the seats, not really seeing the need for small 8 gal totes when 24 and 32 gal exist . Maybe they ride on tbe roof better? someone got a setup that these really benefit?
I do. Using the MaxGear Rear cargo rack. Built specifically to hold 3 of them up top, while still being able to utilize the lower area for whatever you like.... like sleeping, or gear or nothing. I on the hand can still 4 more of them down below. Yes I know that 7 8 gal action packers seems like a lot, but I actually have six of them full of tools, spares, fluids, rescue gear and the like. The 7th one has a survival kit.

The advantage of the 8 gal is even when full, they aren't too heavy. YMMV

1 - 20 of 29 Posts