Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the wiring harness zip tied to the bumper for a short term solution to tow a trailer. I would like to make a permenant mounting location, possibly into the bumper like was done HERE or here

What are our bumpers made of (what type of metal) and what type of 'bit' do I use to drill this type of hole?

I know I need a 2 1/8" hole...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
I am doing this mod as well, Mine is ziptied to the hitch its self, but I was already thinking of having it located exactly like the first idea you reffered to, clean and out of the way.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AZ-Ted said:
You'll need a hole saw. These can be found really cheap at Harbor Freight. They also have them at Lowe's or Home Depot, but they cost more there.
I have a 2 1/8" Hole Saw LIKE THIS ONE. will that work?
 

·
on line
Joined
·
564 Posts
GISX said:
AZ-Ted said:
You'll need a hole saw. These can be found really cheap at Harbor Freight. They also have them at Lowe's or Home Depot, but they cost more there.
I have a 2 1/8" Hole Saw LIKE THIS ONE. will that work?
I used a "BI-METAL" 2 1/8 hole saw....not "carbon steel"...dunno if that matters or not.

I mounted mine like this...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
254 Posts
No that one will not work. Those AV carbon steel blades should read “extremely mild steel� they will not cut a blow hole in your computer case let alone a hole in your bumper. I have verified that on both accounts. They do work for wood door locksets though, as long as you don’t use them on metal first.

Rob is right get the metal or bimetal one. Just make sure it fits your existing mandrel but they usually sell them with a mandrel included too.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cold Iron said:
No that one will not work. Those AV carbon steel blades should read “extremely mild steel� they will not cut a blow hole in your computer case let alone a hole in your bumper. I have verified that on both accounts. They do work for wood door locksets though, as long as you don’t use them on metal first.

Rob is right get the metal or bimetal one. Just make sure it fits your existing mandrel but they usually sell them with a mandrel included too.

Thanks for all the information. I'm glad I did a temporary mount rather than try to drill the hole with what I have.



Sorry for the flurry of questions but I have a few more:
How much does a 'Metal' or 'bimetal' one cost?
Just get it at a home depot or lowes?
Anyone know what our bumpers are made out of?
Why did eXTra fORt tape the bumper in THIS POST prior to drilling, does it do a better job?

Thanks all, your awsome!
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,695 Posts
GISX said:
Sorry for the flurry of questions but I have a few more:
How much does a 'Metal' or 'bimetal' one cost?
Just get it at a home depot or lowes?
Anyone know what our bumpers are made out of?
Why did eXTra fORt tape the bumper in THIS POST prior to drilling, does it do a better job?

Thanks all, your awsome!
1. $10-15
2. Yes, I've seen them at Lowes
3. Bumpers are made out of some type of light gauge steel
4. Taping reduces the chance of paint crazing in the surrounding area of where the hole is drilled (though the plastic mount itself would be big enough to cover the area where any paint crazing may occur).
 

·
on line
Joined
·
3,050 Posts
I went to my dealership to order the wiring harness...and he asked which one I wanted 4 pin or 7? so I said well I dont know....which one would you guys reccommend? I want a universal one.....I am not towing a huge boat...but I do want one I could tow my tent trailer with...
 

·
on line
Joined
·
331 Posts
get the 7-pin, you can then get an adapter to make 7 4 but i have never seen 4 to 7.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
294 Posts

·
on line
Joined
·
1,864 Posts
7-pin

:clown: I put this Nissan 7-pin RECEIVER in my Calmini "swing away bumper" It took a SAWZALL and Courtesy parts to complete and it works perfectly---


--


--The bumper (fucked up as it is ) is 1/4 mild steel, but it just takes time--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Re: 7-pin

JIMBO said:
Man, thats a mighty shiny ball you got there. :D
 

·
on line
Joined
·
113 Posts
Just a helpful note for any drilling/cutting operations. If you are drilling steel, no matter what grade, keep the drill speed slow and your pressure even and firm. If you go full bore you will burn out your drill bit or cutting device fast. If the metal is smoking, you are going too fast. Also use some sort of coolant/lubricant when you are drilling. WD40 or some clean motor oil poured on the area will help cool the bit and carry away any shavings. Slow and steady wins the race. Also remember to wear some type of eye protection. A tiny shard or piece of shaving can blind you for good. This message brought to you by an aircraft mechanic who does alot of drilling and cutting for a living.
 

·
on line
Joined
·
1,208 Posts
Thanks for the hints, I am going to do this tommorow so thats nice to have those right now. :D
 

·
on line
Joined
·
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
brutus_skx said:
Thanks for the hints, I am going to do this tommorow so thats nice to have those right now. :D
Do I hear a detailed write-up on the mount for those of us who require step-by-step instructions? :bounce:

That would be awsome!
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top