Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
on line
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about to purchase some BFG AT T/A KO 265/70R17 for my 2wd SE X. (i know, dont flame me)

BFG makes 2 different tires in the same size, one 6ply and one 10ply.

I dont off-road often enough to merit spending alot of extra money. Is the more expensive 10 ply tire worth an extra $22 + tax per tire?

It will add more weight as well, which of course is a negative.

What do you think? Thanks for your help and/or opinions - i know you have them.

·
on line
3,262 Posts
Since you barely ever wheel and since you only have 2wd with little or no modifications to help you go off road, I say that you definitely do not need to spend the extra $22 per tire for the 10 ply.

Im almost positive everyone will agree with me!!!

·
on line
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is what I wanted to hear. I just didnt want to make that choice without asking. I appreciate it.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Not worth it... especially if not hauling heavy loads or serious offroading.
Unfortunately, everyone's answer to this will be an opinion but still good to hear all the replies.
Consider this... the stock tires (i believe) are only 2ply so even 6 ply is a huge step up and some insurance for those nasty roads
Oh yeah... 2wds are very cool!

·
on line
2,077 Posts
agreed, extra ply is not necessary if you're not wheeling much...that thick sidewalls are great when rock climbing or anywhere near objects that can puncture the sidewalls, mild trail running will not merit the need for such thick sidewalls.

·
on line
163 Posts
The ply is the casing... which is from bead to bead... sidewall and the section the tread is mounted to.

since you just do roading... then 6ply. The 10ply will add A LOT of extra weight and stiffness... so comfort will decrease, noise and performance (acceleration) will all decrease w/ increased plys in the tire casing.

·
on line
163 Posts
Here is a picture to help understand the make up of a tire

10 ply tire, has 10 body plys... most likely different assortments of materials for each ply. Nylon, PET (polyethylene terephthalate) - polyester, or other. I know that PET is used more commonly now than nylon, but I don't know if tire manufactures use something else in high ply tires.

·
on line
1,208 Posts
S_e_X-Terra said:
Since you barely ever wheel and since you only have 2wd with little or no modifications to help you go off road, I say that you definitely do not need to spend the extra $22 per tire for the 10 ply.

Im almost positive everyone will agree with me!!!
X2

·
on line
975 Posts
Yep, I would agree with everyone on this. I have load range E and when I air down to 18 psi the tire is barely flexing.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts