Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2006 6MT. 78k miles.

Lately, I've had to depress the clutch 100% to the floor for it to start. If I don't have it 100% down, it won't start, and I have to turn the key all the way to the "lock" position, fully depress the clutch, and do it again.

When I have the clutch 100% down, it starts just fine.

I wanted to see if

1. anyone else has this issue
2. if there is something in the clutch that I could tune to make it a little more forgiving.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hmm i will have to check if mine will start without it being fully depressed and let you know. I guess its just habbit for me to push it to the floor on first start up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Thanks for the help. I've always driven a manual, and I've never run into this. It's not the end of the world, it's just annoying. I'll check on that sensor.

EDIT -- Klainmeister: I'm reading through the Fronty clutch thread. Is there something in there about the sensor's location or adjustment, or are all 11 pages about adjusting the travel? I don't mind the travel, just trying to solve the full depress to start issue.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
The throw/travel and "sensor" are two different issues. It's actually not a sensor in the way that we usually think of it - as a more sophisticated device that can provide a range of values for the information sought, but rather a simple switch that's actuated by a rubber bumper on the clutch arm (has two states) ... that bumper has been known to fall apart or go missing entirely. Sounds like yours may be on its way out.

Easy fix: you can either try and replace the bumper - though I don't know if you can buy it by itself, fill in the hole where it mounts (some heavy tape has been known to work), or bypass the switch entirely (just be mindful that you'll then be able to start the car in gear). For a few more threads on the topic, search "clutch start switch" or "clutch interlock" or other things along those lines ... just FYI - there is a Nissan option "Clutch Start Cancel" switch that was available on some trims, so there's some cross pollination of info between the two. If you need further help, post back here and we'll get it sorted.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Perfect. Thank you.

The plastic piece that contacted the button had broken apart.

I just rubber banded a nickel where it used to be, and now It's good to go. That brings the repair cost to about $.06.

For the long term, do they sell those panel clips at auto parts stores?

·
Registered
159 Posts
FYI - My rubber bumper is hanging on by a thread. I'm working on a replacement, and my dealer wants $30 after taxes for the rubber bumper part. I haven't tried the auto parts store yet for an alternative.

·
Registered
159 Posts
That's a much better deal. I would have done a bit more research if I hadn't had to leave on a business trip.

I'd also have purchased a back up one of these at that price, lol.

·
Registered
5,402 Posts
Mine failed right at Christmas 2013 and had a few extra days wait due to the holidays. I just used the bypass switch for a few days. Also being that cheap of a part it wasn't worth claiming warranty on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts