Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
on line
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you folks in the colder climates have issues shifting when the trans is at ambient temperature, i.e. below freezing. Mine just doesn't want to move first thing in the morning, just like its driver. Temps have been between 20* and 30* F and shifting from 1-2 and 2-3 requires a good shove. Once its up to temp, the shifts are very smooth.

--Matt

·
on line
237 Posts
In the cold, down to 2 is difficult....down to 1 is very difficult, even at a complete stop sometimes. But to be honest, its not too much different from other vehicles I've had.

·
on line
616 Posts
Not an issue on mine. Shifts fine even in the single digits. There is a bit more resistance, but its nothing like the Tremec in my old Jeep.

-Old Army

·
on line
81 Posts
Mine is a bit stiff on cold mornings, but so is my other manual car.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Mine is a little hard to get into 2nd going either way when it's cold, but it's 10 times better than my old Jeep was.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Mine is a little cranky in the morning cold. But no different then any other MT's I have owned.

Just requires a little patience.

·
on line
735 Posts
the only MT's that worked like butter down to zero degrees all ran atf in them.

my jeep has light gear lube, my old ranger with a 5 spd mazda trans had atf juice.

what do these nissans run? sounds like gear oil-which is good, you just have to get it down the road a mile or two to get some drivetrain temp.

·
on line
82 Posts
My AT shifted pretty abruptly the past two days. It's been -5 or better here in WI.

·
on line
2,077 Posts
my last car had a 6 speed....it didn't like 2nd much in the cold weather. it would be difficult to shift into that gear, and it liked to pop out. it only lasted for a few minutes thou until the car warmed up.

·
on line
169 Posts
I have found that my clutch likes to squeak when it is cold. Has anybody else noticed this? As far as shifting, mine is a bit difficult, but nothing compared to my '90 Subaru Legacy.

·
on line
155 Posts
Mine won't go into 2nd unless i'm almost stopped. So I have to lug 3rd in the morning. Even after i've warmed it up for a few.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
Mine has been annoying in the cold. 1st to 2nd is a real PITA.

Sucks because I only drive a mile to work so it never warms up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts