Intake
Headers
Hookers

·
on line
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. That's a hell of a list.

I thought about powder coating the stock wheels, but being that they are 16x7 I'd think a 285 tire would have some balancing issues.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
With the armor, you're gonna need to beef up the leafs in the rear.

And trails deserve a winch, even if the headers have to wait (although they're on my wish list for sure).

·
on line
1,739 Posts
Take a trip with your local club and see what everybody is doing, why they did it, and how they like/dislike the modification. I'm a function over fashion guy so I'd vote on things like sliders, skid plates, tires, a mild suspension lift, and front bumper/winch.

·
on line
15 Posts
Delaware_X said:
Thanks man. That's a hell of a list.

I thought about powder coating the stock wheels, but being that they are 16x7 I'd think a 285 tire would have some balancing issues.
Those tires should be no problem. It won't be a balancing problem, if there is one. Might bulg a little, but I've done worse on smaller rims (12.50 or 315's on 6 inch rims :cheers: woohoo) .

I'd say tires, lift, and sliders first. Then bumpers. Then go from there.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
First of all, SLIDERS! I told myself I wouldn't hit the trail without em, and boy am I glad I stuck by that. I used em plenty when I was in Moab this past weekend. The X is just a tad low in factory form, and sliders are a must-have form of cheap insurance.

That being said, I also realized the benefit that a small suspension lift would provide. There are plenty of options for around 2" of lift in the less than $500 range, or you can easily spend a couple grand for a set-up with RadFlo's and TC UCA's. Throw in a set of new tires if ya want, and that is about another grand.

So there is at least $2K. If the X isn't paid off, take the other $3-4K and throw it at the loan! I am a firm believer in getting loans paid off early. Just think of the extra $300+ dollars a month you'd have for mods or whatever if you didn't have a car payment. But, this is assuming you haven't paid it off yet, which is probably a safe bet if you are like the majority of us on here. My wife and I are working our tails off to get the X paid for this year, and we spent all of last year saving for it.

A final word. Build the X to suit your needs. What works for one person on here may not work the best for someone else in their specific environment with their driving habits. I also strongly believe that the best way to build a rig is to wheel it and see what problems surface, then decide which mods would help those issues. As I said, sliders are a no brainer, and they should be first on the shopping list, but beyond that, build for your needs. I spent many, many thousands of dollars years ago building a Samurai with Toyota axles, 35" tires, deep gears, etc, etc, etc, because it was the thing to do, when it wheeled just fine with 33's and stock locked and geared axles that it had. Looking back, it was a giant waste of money, and the high majority of it was never recooped. So build for your needs, not necessarily what everybody else is doing. But, also listen to the wisdom of those who have been there, done that. There is a fine balance that should be made between what is popular and what is necessary.

But, that is just my 2 cents...

·
on line
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I owe 13 on it. My wife likes to send more then what the payment is.

I'm thinking of just the sliders, lift and wheels and tires to start with. I really like the look of the shrock bumpers, but I'm not sure I want to add all the weight to a daily driver.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
put 2k of mods on and send me the other 3k, of course this works better for me than you but its the best idea I had.

·
on line
612 Posts
I think
- Sliders
- 2-3" lift, whatever way you wanna go.

I can't really give any good advice about what to do with spare money lying around, but if I had some that's where I'd start.

·
on line
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well.....the impulse to sell the Mustang has past. I'm keeping it for now.

So back to the reality of my wallet and my wife not beating me over the head.

3 inch lift and 255/85's on the stock steel wheels, and sliders.

Looks like (and I'm sure you all know this) that the 255/85 is very limited in manufacturer choices. I'll probably just get the bfg mt's.

I didn't want a mt to use as a daily driver, but I figure if I rotate every 5k miles I should be ok.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts