Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, any info much appreciated! I don't know about you all but in long Island ny everyone has a damn jeep w/35s. If I can get 37s on my X would be a win for everyone here!! Ha
Did a 3" suspension lift couple years ago with 2 sets of 1.5 hub spacers for mud 33s.
Truck sits good and handles good on parkway,
Just ordered rear airbags and 2" body lift. My closest interference is the front well pinchweld.
I've grinded down to barley still call it a weld. Ha
I don't want to but don't mind deleting spacers till the wheels turn but guess what I'm asking is with 5" of lift in a stock offset do you guys think 37s would fit?

Any advice much appreciated.. thanks!

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
384 Posts
From what I have read on here even with that much lift you have to trim fenders to even fit 35's. Out here in the California desert it is the same everyone and their uncle has Jeeps on 35's and 37's. I am running 265/75r16 A/T tires with 1.5" of lift and run most of the same trails around here that the big Jeeps do. In fact most of the people wheel with have Jeeps and are blown away at what I follow them through without taking damage or getting stuck. I do however get my money's worth out of my skid plates and rock sliders.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha awsome dude.. love hearing storys like that. .
Jeeps are so spoiled with avaliable parts. But our trucks are so under estimated i never regretted my X..
I trimmed the bumpers and fenders about 3 1/2 inches so wont be the first point of contact and even if I have to ill fold and reinforce that pinch but idd much rather not. Thanks dude

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
From what I have read on here even with that much lift you have to trim fenders to even fit 35's. Out here in the California desert it is the same everyone and their uncle has Jeeps on 35's and 37's. I am running 265/75r16 A/T tires with 1.5" of lift and run most of the same trails around here that the big Jeeps do. In fact most of the people wheel with have Jeeps and are blown away at what I follow them through without taking damage or getting stuck. I do however get my money's worth out of my skid plates and rock sliders.

Im surprised ca allows people to put 35-37's on a "on hwy" vehicle. seems counter to the whole purpose of CARB.

·
Registered
619 Posts
He means you will need to trim the metal fender. Top and back.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did, I welded the fender edges back on back on with the hopes of reforming the liners but never did. That pinchweld is the closest contact and about 3/4 inch grinded off. Thanks

·
Registered
2,231 Posts
Go over to clubfrontier.org and search around. A couple guys did it - or at least tried it. IIRC they had to go SAS and move the front diff forward a bit somehow?? to avoid the pinch welds on the cab.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Go over to clubfrontier.org and search around. A couple guys did it - or at least tried it. IIRC they had to go SAS and move the front diff forward a bit somehow?? to avoid the pinch welds on the cab.
Thanks, holy crap.. my biggest fear is ordering a wheel and tire combo and I can't turn my steering wheel. This is my daily driver, I can't get that far into it yet but I'm not against mig welding that pinch and folding in? Haha

·
Registered
259 Posts
Honestly 37s are a waste of time and money. 35 is plenty big. And apart from having to cut all kinds of shit you'll run into parts breaking under the weight of the tire. Even 35s are pushing the IFS to the limit on what it can handle safely. If you realllly want 37s expect to replace parts regularly. Also your truck will be significantly slower than it does stock. So you might even be putting strain on the main drivetrain. especially if you go wheeling with them.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Honestly 37s are a waste of time and money. 35 is plenty big. And apart from having to cut all kinds of shit you'll run into parts breaking under the weight of the tire. Even 35s are pushing the IFS to the limit on what it can handle safely. If you realllly want 37s expect to replace parts regularly. Also your truck will be significantly slower than it does stock. So you might even be putting strain on the main drivetrain. especially if you go wheeling with them.

would that almost be getting into like SAS territory, or maybe titan swapped, both suspension and drivetrain!?

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
384 Posts

This right here is part of the reason so many Jeeps break when they go out wheeling they are so much easier to lift and clear the bigger tires that many do that without upgrading other drivetrain parts. If I was building a big crawler rig I wouldn't go 37's unless I was using at least 3/4 ton preferably one ton truck axles like a dana 60

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
California is a running contradiction. Such a beautiful place, with lots of great people, run by absolute morons.

This is so true the land is beautiful and such a diverse collection of terrain types and climates in one state. I am literally within 100 miles of the highest and lowest points in the lower 48. Well Death Valley's Badwater Basin is less than 100 miles if you take the 4x4 route a little over 100 by paved road. Mt. Whitney is about 60 miles north of me.

·
TNX Veteran
4,347 Posts
37's do not work on the Xterra, unless you SAS. And unless you are going to drop bracket lift, T swap it, and are willing to dump 6-10k into a real lift, a 5" lift will just ruin your ride.

35's with a 2" body lift, front fender trimming, and a decent 2-3" suspension lift will get you about the max this vehicle is capable of running. Don't forget though.... 35's mean you have to re gear... (2k Plus)

·
TNX Veteran
4,347 Posts
Titan swap + drop bracket.
As stated above.... even that does not work....

Does it fit? Yes. Does it work? No. The rig ends up way to top heavy, drives like dog poop, wheels even worse.

35's or SAS for 37's.... But then you have a trailer queen, not a DD

·
Premium Member
384 Posts
IMO unless you are trying to crawl over boulders like 2 feet tall or more with a solid axle rig fully locked 37's would be a waste of money. I make it over rocks 12 - 18 inches with my setup and the Jeep guys see me do it and are like what the hell how did that make it.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts