Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
on line
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
** New pics from this past Memorial Weekend trip!**

Some friends came up from Charleston SC to celebrate my buddy's 27th birthday. He wanted me to take them on an excursion so we went to Fontana Lake for some kayak camping. Here's a few pics my wife took while I was loading the four boats. (14ft Peception with rudder, 12ft Perception with drop skeg, 11ft Perception tandem, and a 13ft Riot with drop skeg.)

The Yakima load bars don't stick out past the fenders and allow 4 yaks to squeeeeeze on top. Used Yakima stackers for the middle 2 boats and J-cradles for the sides.

This side shot shows how the PRG shackles keep the rear from bottoming out with all the weight on top, plus my 195 pounds on the back bumper...just put them on the day before!

The rack is holding up great. The four boats totaled around 210 pounds on the roof along with some floation vest in the loadwarrior. Even at sustained speeds of 65mph and up to 75mph at times the WAV felt very solid with NO movement of the boats up top.

ORIGINAL POST
This is my fifth Nissan and second Xterra and I gotta say... I love this WAV! (Woodland Attack Vehicle)

I like being able to carry a lot of things on the roof: mt. bikes, kayaks, coolers, camping gear, etc. I've had my yakima loadwarrior for several years now, but sometimes it's just not wide enough for what I need to carry.

After buying a set of yakima crossbars I had to "ghetto rig" a way have them on the roof WITH the loadwarrior. (You can see that old setup in my sig picture) That way worked but again was kinda ghetto as it involved clamping the round crossbars with the tabs made for attaching accessories like a wind fairing. I didn't want to spend over $200 on the towers, plus that would jack the whole up too high.

So I bought a 1 1/4" wholesaw to cut through the oem xterra bars to mount the yakima crossbars straight through. I drilled the center of the front holes 3" behind the mounts (this gives enough room for the wet storage handle to still open). The rears drilled 1.5" in front of the mounts. I used a speed saw with a grinding drum to finish the edges of the holes a bit.

To line the holes I used automotive door edge trim. This is fairly heavy duty stuff and has an adhesive strip down the center. It protects the yakima bars and provides friction and well as a nearly waterproof seal. Yakima crossbars are 1 1/8" in diameter so the edge trim takes up the remaining space of the 1 1/4" hole. Black automotive silicone finishes off the waterproofing.

After installing the edge trim I passed the bars through and measured them to equal on both sides. To keep the bars from sliding sideways I installed the clamp on accessory mounts seen here. This front bar will make a great place to mount some offroad lights.

Finished product! I can mount 2 bikes, 2 kayaks with hullraisers, or a bike and a kayak on the sides. This keeps the basket open for coolers, camping and 4wheelin gear. Or I could fit 2 more bikes/kayaks on top of the loadwarrior!

This setup makes it easy to load big things like kayaks on the sides rather than toward the center. I can also take the loadwarrior off and just use the crossbars for carrying things (wide stuff like sheets of lumber).

** Went to Lake Fontana in Western North Carolina with a buddy for an overnight paddle trip. Drove an hour and a half to get there, max speed 75mph...rack has held up great. No signs of wear on trim around holes. **

·
on line
1,504 Posts
that's a pretty sweet way to rig them, i have xtra wide bars for mine just so i can mount stuff on the outside like you are needing to...i'm not sure if someone will try to gig you on here because in "structual integrity" (however you spell it!) but i don't think it will bother anything...did you put any silicone around the holes to keep the water out?

looks good though, i like it!

·
on line
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for replies! It looks like the oem xterra rails are thick enough to hold up. I used black automotive silicone around the holes. Time to rhino line the loadwarrior :compress:

·
on line
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for comments guys! So far it's held up really well. I'll be going camping later this week with a couple 12 foot recreation kayaks on top and a basket full of gear. Will post how everything's doin after the trip.

Hopefully y'all won't read a post titled ''My rack fell apart and the boats suffered death by 18 wheeler!''

·
on line
564 Posts
By the way, do you have any wind noise from the rack?

Rob

·
on line
264 Posts
nice job. looks great. i did a similar thing to mount my hilift. i put a bolt through just one side to mount it and it doesnt move with jerking on the trail and everyday driving so your bars will be plenty strong enough

·
on line
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
robnfl said:
By the way, do you have any wind noise from the rack?

Rob

Very little wind noise even at 60 - 70mph...I thought it would be worse without using the fairing. No noise at all without the loadwarrior on top since only 10.5inches of round bars stick out from the sides.

I plan on mounting 4 Hella 500's to the front bar just ahead of the basket. Those should break up the wind a bit a quiet it down some more.

Goin camping tomorrow! Will post pics with it loaded up...

·
on line
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Bump for pics of rack loaded. Doin another trip this weekend with 4 boats on roof, so I'll post how the rack holds up after that too.

·
on line
2,505 Posts
When you're looking at your truck head-on with the 'yaks attached up top, how much wider are you? If an 18 wheeler comes close (like they tend to do) are they gonna brush up against the yak?...or take it clean off because you're hanging over his lane?

·
on line
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
**Bump for new pics at top**

SquibleeArmorX said:
When you're looking at your truck head-on with the 'yaks attached up top, how much wider are you? If an 18 wheeler comes close (like they tend to do) are they gonna brush up against the yak?...or take it clean off because you're hanging over his lane?
The round bars don't stick out past the fenders of the Xterra. So although everything is wider than the roof, it's still not wider than the tire footprint.

·
on line
835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thank ya thank ya thank ya...

Creek said:
that's alot of friggin boats. and a very small tandem at that
Yeah the tandem is only 11ft but my buddy and his girlfriend paddled it full of gear with their dog riding in the middle! The pup was loving it :beagle:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.