Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am installing the add a leaf on my xterra along with adjustable shackles. I currently have Titan swapped the front and trying to match the rear. When installing the add a leaf do I just remove the flat overload leaf on the bottom and install the new add leafs? I disassembled one side and removed the overload and the 1st curved leaf, then added the new pack.. I tried this because that leaf was the same length as the 1st addleaf. I’m starting to think I should have left the original pack intact and only removed the overload.

·
Registered
285 Posts
,hat was exactly what I did when adding my 2 AAL from PRG, i.e. removed the overload straight bar, levels things out.

But question...now that I'm towing occasionally it still sags. Stock springs are still good. Has anyone added another single AAL, any experiences? Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
,hat was exactly what I did when adding my 2 AAL from PRG, i.e. removed the overload straight bar, levels things out.

But question...now that I'm towing occasionally it still sags. Stock springs are still good. Has anyone added another single AAL, any experiences? Thanks!
I’ve got the PRG dual AAL AND the OME extra HD leaf to my factory pack. Oh, and only removed the overload leaf. All I had to do was cut the HD leaf a little so it didn’t stick out past the loops. Currently sitting at 39” with “33’s” and not a harsh ride. I still have the stock leaves so there’s the possibility of sag over time but good for past 2 years. If you go that route, be aware. You’ll have a VERY high lift before things settle in. 41.5” in my case. Scared the crap out of me cuz I couldn’t get the rig out of the garage. Still have headroom with PRG shackles at lowest setting for WHEN (not if) I Titan swap. I know. TOO MANY CAPS. Hope this helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I guess I’ll pull the one side apart I finished and rebuild the leafs. The other thing I have to do is add shims. I didn’t originally because the centering pin was non existent with the shim. I bought shims that aren’t bolted to leafs, they fit over top the pin. To fix that I threaded a nut tight to the pinhead and turned it smooth on a lathe. Trial and error

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m using the one that came with the 3 pack. With the 4* shim on top, it’s all but flush. How’s the ride with this set up

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
998 Posts
OK, yeah yours isnt a bolt on shim, the heads not tall enough.
It's definitely more firm, but I have no complaints. Never touched the bumpstops since, even loaded full of gear and towing a trailer. I'm happy with it.
I've got a 2" lift shackle with it too, the 4 degree shim smoothed out the vibes. Without it, definitely had vibrations.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I’ve got the PRG dual AAL AND the OME extra HD leaf to my factory pack. Oh, and only removed the overload leaf. All I had to do was cut the HD leaf a little so it didn’t stick out past the loops. Currently sitting at 39” with “33’s” and not a harsh ride. I still have the stock leaves so there’s the possibility of sag over time but good for past 2 years. If you go that route, be aware. You’ll have a VERY high lift before things settle in. 41.5” in my case. Scared the crap out of me cuz I couldn’t get the rig out of the garage. Still have headroom with PRG shackles at lowest setting for WHEN (not if) I Titan swap. I know. TOO MANY CAPS. Hope this helps

Thanks for that input, actually I'm about to replace my dual AAL to a 3-leaf AAL so it looks like I'll be sitting much higher. I'm actually almost ready to do the TS up front (waiting for the forever delayed Radflos), but that will also add a bit of lift as well as width. So, a slight rake would be ok after all installed. I do tow my race 240Z on an flatbed trailer once a while and if that settles it even then it will be perfect. Ugh, all these variable, why we're spending all this $$ LOL.

·
Registered
441 Posts
You don’t like the rabbit hole? I just bit $1800 on the Heftyfab aluminum front bumper. Maxterra is next

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
It's definitely more firm, but I have no complaints. Never touched the bumpstops since, even loaded full of gear and towing a trailer. I'm happy with it.
I've got a 2" lift shackle with it too, the 4 degree shim smoothed out the vibes. Without it, definitely had vibrations.

That's the same setup I have except a 1.5" shackle and for some reason never had any vibrations, I don't even have any shims installed on mine.

·
Registered
441 Posts
That's the same setup I have except a 1.5" shackle and for some reason never had any vibrations, I don't even have any shims installed on mine.
Yeah. It’s weird how everyone’s setup is unique for vibes as stated numerous times over the years. Hell, I don’t feel anything from the rear end with my 3” lift, PRG shackles (on 1”), 3 degree shims, Oh, and a pair of 8” subs running 800 watts. Maybe that affects it. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
998 Posts
I would venture to say due to you being 2wd that you've got a lot longer driveshaft and therefore are not as susceptible to the increase in driveline angle.
Also I noticed you have your AAL installed reverse to mine. (mine is long side to the rear to match the way the main leaf pack is oriented) Could impact the angle too I suppose.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I would venture to say due to you being 2wd that you've got a lot longer driveshaft and therefore are not as susceptible to the increase in driveline angle.
Also I noticed you have your AAL installed reverse to mine. (mine is long side to the rear to match the way the main leaf pack is oriented) Could impact the angle too I suppose.
The really odd thing was that when I only had the AAL installed the rear vibrated like usual.

·
Registered
2006 Xterra SE
998 Posts
The really odd thing was that when I only had the AAL installed the rear vibrated like usual.
Lift shackles are supposed to ttweak the pinion back up, and with the shorter side of the pack at the back, maybe more so... who knows.
That cv joint is a joint of mystery....
Funny I found mine vibrated even more with my shackle installed, I tried a few days when installing it just in case... no dice.

·
Registered
285 Posts
With the 3 AAL I'm hoping won't lose any flex in rear, i.e. stiffer setup. This is my current 2 AAL with 3* shims, no vibrations at all. It looks like I can go a little higher with that diff angle in relation to the driveshaft. Planning on 35s but holding off since lots more trimming, gearing, and preps to do.

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts