Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I'm subcribed to the thread in the Project X section about the Titan suspension swap but I'm too intrigued about the topic to wait for a reply. I decided to start this thread to brainstorm ideas relating to swapping in Titan suspension to a 4x4 X.

From what I understand all Titan suspension components will swap directly into the X? If so, my idea so far (for the front):
(All from a 4x4 of course)
Titan Total Chaos UCAs
Titan LCAs
Titan Spindles (or lift spindles)
Titan hubs
Xterra Radflo coilovers
Titan rotors and calipers

That's all I've thought up so far, and all is in theory too. I haven't verified that any of this will actually work.

I haven't delved into the steering system changes yet.
Also the most important part of this swap is the front differential itself.
I think the swap could be done now minus the front diff, just remove the CV shafts and have a 2x4 until a Titan front diff swap is verified possible. Or just have RCV or similar company fabricate CV shafts of the proper length and use with the existing diff.

I'd like to thank lifeinthesouth, most all of the information I provided was glommed from his thread: http://www.thenewx.org/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=2496

Ideas and input!?

·
on line
204 Posts
all you would need are the uca's, lca's, and custom axles. you would keep your stock spindles, and also extend your tie rods. lift spindles won't work on a 4wd though.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good point. But lift and more importantly longer travel could be obtained by using the control arms alone, correct? This is of course with an adjustable coilover. How much would the Titan control arms increase the X's track width?

·
on line
204 Posts
the track width would widen 6 inches( 3 per side) which is around what most long travel kits widen track width. you probably could get more lift by using the control arms only, since the extra track width would help clearing the coil buckets, which( contact with the coil buckets) are the limiting factor with our stock length control arms.

·
on line
123 Posts
at some point though you will have problems iwth the CV angle.

·
on line
204 Posts
thats why you would need custom axles, also the longer length would lessen the angles ( as long as the coilovers are at a reasonable ride height)

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm assuming this longer length would cause wheel/tire fitament issues? Keeping the X spindles would be a plus as that would leave the X hub and bolt pattern intact.

·
on line
204 Posts
i think the only fitment issues would be finding some fiberglass fenders to stuff your tires, axle wise your axles would only be 3 inches longer to match the arms.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It would be a good excuse to buy stronger aftermarket axles. So for our theoretical long travel suspension so far:
TC Titan UCAs
Titan LCAs
Radflo (or similar) coilovers
Longer CV shafts to retain 4WD
Fiberglass fenders to allow wheels to stuff properly

Next: the steering system. How must it be modified to work along with the Titan control arms? Would custom extended tie rods do the trick?

·
on line
204 Posts
a cheap way would be to extend the stock tie rods. titan and xterra/frontier tie rods are the same. or you could check out http://www.ncdproducts.com/shop/ind...77&prevaction=category&previd=new&prevstart=0 for some heim steering. but i have heard that we might have an issue with mounting heims in single shear
like this. double shear would be the best way because the heim joint would be supported on both sides instead of one, like the picture i posted.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Could we replace the X tie rods with Titan tie rods? If not, just replace with custom tie rods. Once the tie rods are extended that would finish our steering system. Once fiberglass fenders are available for the new Xs they could probably be purchased for under $300.

Now on to the real tricky stuff: the differential swap. I wish I had a Titan to crawl under and compare to my X. Or at least detailed specs for each vehicle's front axle housings and frame dimensions. Time to start searching...

·
on line
204 Posts
the xterra and titan tie rods are the same. and you wouldn't need a differential swap, you would just use the xterra front diff. heres a list of what you would need to swap a titan suspension on your 4wd xterra: extended STOCK tie rods(or custom heim steering similar to ncd's kit), titan upper control arms( total chaos or stock), stock titan lower control arms, and custom extended axles for the front 4wd system, and the coilover of your choice. thats everything.

·
on line
735 Posts
2006fronty said:
the xterra and titan tie rods are the same. and you wouldn't need a differential swap, you would just use the xterra front diff. heres a list of what you would need to swap a titan suspension on your 4wd xterra: extended STOCK tie rods(or custom heim steering similar to ncd's kit), titan upper control arms( total chaos or stock), stock titan lower control arms, and custom extended axles for the front 4wd system, and the coilover of your choice. thats everything.
the whloe point of this excersize is to get a stronger front diff. The whole prerunner thing with the longer titan suspension is a necesary evil, but looks ***. if we have to keep the x diff, then why spend any money on it?

·
on line
204 Posts
im pretty sure the differentials are the same just wider, just like the steering rack. if you check out titantalk they have had front diff problems too. think of it this way we have fullsize hardware on our trucks( frame suspension, transmission;different bellhousing) i'd say that we're better off than titans. we have less hp and torque than them so i don't see our engines being as hard on our trucks. the whole prerunner thing is simply ifs guys wanting an all around truck, i wouldn't say its ***, it's function over form, if you want the strongest front diff possible do a sas like ponyboy, if you can't afford to or don't need to go that extreme, the titan swap would be a good option(especially for the money)

·
on line
1,320 Posts
I've actually seen the X with the Titan control arm swap and by no means looks ***! He did it on a 2wd and just swapped in the Titan control arms and a Tundra bilstein coilover... the track width difference is barely noticable deu to the increase angle from the adjustable coilover.

About the diffs for 4x4... i've been told that there's a good chance the Titan diff will bolt up to the X... you would have to swap the entire Titan suspension (this would have to include wheels) as the cv axles will only go into the titan hubs. So somebody go DO IT!!! It's only money!

Here's pics of the above mentioned X; it's Davey's from out in Thousand Oaks, cali.
Like i said, he's got the stock titan arms, stock X spindles, tundra bilstein c/o's, and heimed tie-rods... on the rear is just the AC shackles. He's a bit over 3" lift up front so it's lower in the rear... which IMO looks best anyway, hehe!

·
on line
807 Posts
Oh wow.. now I REALLY want to do this swap.
I do not want to run fiberglass fenders, so I had reservations about this swap because of how far the tires would stick out, that X looks great though, they dont stick out too far at all.
Do you know if the tires stuff, or do they hit the fenders from the extra width? I was planning on running 255/85R16s so hopfully the narrower tire will clear easier.

Got any other pics of that X, or perhaps a link to more info about it?

Also, any word on how this will effect handling (around town and highway) and turning radius? I assume we would now have the turning radius of the titan (an extra foot) but what does having a front track width wider than the rear do to the trucks handling? I would think corners would be effected oddly.

Ok, one more question. About how much lift would by 2.5" PRG lift provide after the titan swap? I assume a little over 3", but i'm not sure.

·
on line
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm glad to see so much attention to this topic, this is something I am really considering. If you compare the cost of this custom long-travel suspension to all other lifts available you may start considering it too.

The only reason I would swap the Titan diff in is if it is indeed stronger. I have heard the Titan guys having alot of rear diff problems, but not many front diff problems. I need to find a Titan service manual...

I agree that the setup looks really good, and the long travel suspension is even more appealing. I found an exploded view of the Titan front axle:

1 - 20 of 191 Posts