Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had alot of snow this year and after the last storm, i switched outta 4wd and the indictor screen went blank. The 4wd light stayed on and as far as i can tell the X is in 2wd. The vdc and slip light are out.. any thoughts would be greatly appericated

·
on line
767 Posts
Whenever I have this issue its because my truck is stuck in 4wd. Try pulling your relays and putting them back in and check your fuses. I know on my truck the #2 transfer actuator relay is finicky and likes to cause problems. When my 4wd display goes blank I just turn the truck off, pull that relay, put it back in and bam problem solved.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i have a few option to check when i get home tonight. No the abs light is not on. only the 4wd light and the blank display. when i start the X, the lights all come on so its not a bulb or any thing simple like that. Thanks for the input so far fellas! Cheers! :eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
disconnected the battery, checked the fuses, swapped and tapped on the relays...still goes blank...but it seems like display stayed lit longer after start up than before...

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
If the "4WD" light is on then you should get a flash code from doing the self diagnostic sequence. If you are not, I would say that you are not doing it correctly. But it sounds like a bad transfer case motor to me. 3 bolts, a O-ring on the selector, breather tube and wiring harness connector and you're good to go. $600 new through Nissan, $75ish used through car-parts.com, takes about 5 minutes.

Also relay's will still "click/engage" even when they're broken at times. The only way to truly test a relay is with a meter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Mine does this same thing. I'm fairly certain it's a vacuum issue. Seems to only disengage if I'm stopped then switch to 2wd. Changing the t-case oil this weekend just to be safe. I've got 140k miles so it could be a few issues.

·
on line
848 Posts
Mine occasionally does the same thing. Turning the motor off for 3 - 5 minutes has cured it in the past. I now make sure when I switch to 4x4 that I pause before switching to Lo.

Seems to help but it might just be my imagination.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went to the dealership and they pulled the trans codes, i had 2 codes that my scanner couldnt read.. i dont have the code #s right in front of me but they were and open circuit fault and a 4wd motor code...replaced relays in the PDM (4qty) and a transfer case motor. now the indicator panel comes back on but its reading that the transfer case is in 4lo but the selector switch is in the 2wd position and the 4lo light is flashing. if i move the selector switch it shows that it wants to switch but doesnt engage, so again i say they the switch is good...even more confused now!!!!!:angry5: im thinking one of the sensors for the 2wd, 4h or 4lo is bad?????????????????????

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you ever seem to figure out your issue? My car just started doing the same thing and i was thinking maybe tcm because the fuse for the a/t ecm blew twice. what confuses me is the 4wd light is on but doesnt indicate hi or lo on dash and the shift indicator on dash isnt on either. i didnt use the 4wd for months so maybe mine its the sensor? would really like to hear what ur fix was and thank u in advance if u respond.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey man sorry, I don't get on here much anymore but i need to. It turn out to be the 4wd motor on the back of the T-case.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts