Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched but didn't find what I was looking for so here goes, if this has been addressed in another thread just point the way.

I took my '12 Pro-4x with 8.5K on the Backcountry Discovery Route in Arizona last week. The first time I put it in 4 low, I heard a groaning sound from the back end. I thought it might have something to do with the brake system but it occurred independently of brake operation. It seemed to occur with suspension articulation.

My friend that was with me on the trail suggested it was just my transfer case breaking in. However, throughout the trip (over 250 miles in 4x4) I would continue to hear the groan at low speed with suspension articulation. Any suggestions or things to look for to isolate the problem so I can start to address it?

My automotive expertise is limited to oil/tire/filter/brake changes and that is about it.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Are you sure it was related to being in 4x4? I am thinking it could just be bushings.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I couldn't replicate the groan on even ground. I guess it might not be related to the 4x4 system. Whenever the suspension was articulated the truck was in 4wd so it's possible.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Get a floor jack and try lifting the xterra at each corner and see if you can replicate it.

·
on line
2,233 Posts
What you are probably hearing is the low range gears in the transfer case. Which would be fairly normal. Especially if it is the first time you ever tried low range, and it went away when you took it out of low range.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts