Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys wondering if anyone has had this issue, through the many threads it seems like there is only one other guy who had this combination of lights and it ended up being a battery issue but his 4x4 and ABS still worked fine where as mine don't.

About 2 months ago I ripped out my passenger side rear ABS speed sensor and immediately the ABS, VDC, and SLIP lights came on. So no biggie I just splice it up and it keeps the lights off until our first very cold snap. While this was going on my speedo started acting funny (needle jumping around on start-up) and my 4x4 screen went blank with the 4x4 light coming on along with the parking brake.

For the next week I would start it up to have my normal SLIP,VDC, ABS lights on, but now the 4x4 indicator screen went blank and light on along with the parking brake light would be on at start-up, then after driving a few miles warming the truck up the parking brake light and 4x4 warnings would go away with what seemed to be a temperature increase.

So thinking it was my splice which had came loose I disconnected it, and for the last month its been a steady ABS,SLIP,VDC, then 30 seconds after start-up the parking brake and 4x4 light come on with the indicator screen blank. I have also been able to switch in and out of 4x4 within the first 30 seconds on start-up before the indicator screen goes away.

Yesterday I finally got my new speed sensor in from the dealership and threw it in thinking it would solve all of these issues but it didn't, same lights on and now I can't even switch into 4x4 during those first 30 seconds anymore.

Does this sound like a bad ABS module unit? I can see it bringing up every light except the 4x4 one.

For reference the brake fluid is topped up, new pads and rotors, all drivetrain fluids are fresh and within 10000 kms.

Hopefully someone has experienced something similar.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The other thing I was thinking of was a bad ground somewhere, fuses look good although I'm gonna go over each one with my ohmmeter. I just realized I did ground my light bar to the existing ground that was right beside the intake, anyone know if that is the ground for the ABS module?

Unfortunately we're swamped with snow and ice and the moment and my truck is stuck near another member's house so I can't go and properly check anything at the moment.

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
It sounds like it could be the ABS module. I think there was recently some discussion about this. There could be a few different reasons that "pictogram" disappeared, i.e. bad TC motor, relays, etc. You can do a self diagnosis to see what errors appear to help trouble shoot the 4x4. Let me see if I can find the info...

EDIT: Ok here's the flash code self diagnosis part.
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63537

All lights on thread:
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=41877
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37366

I can't find the recent ABS module one, but try the troubleshooting in the above threads and that she help eliminate some potential causes.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had it diagnosed at the Dealership, Codes that came up were front right speed sensor and rear right speed sensor, the Tech re-spliced my front right into a new weatherproof connection and then after I explained that the rear right sensor was brand new he cleaned out the connector and a good connection was made.

Was all good when I picked it up (no dashlights on), switched into 4hi and low with no issues, then as I left the parking lot at the dealership my Speedo needle jumped a bit as I drove up the road then a minute later my ABS, Slip, and VDC lights all came back on the whole way home.

Back she goes:cussing:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
This happened to me today, lights came up for no reason. Then I parked, turn the key off for a minute, restart the truck then lights were gone. A couple of minutes later they showed up again...

I think one of the wheel sensors may be dirty or salt or snow may be the culprit. I am hoping that I don't need to buy new sensors.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
22,508 Posts

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Just to add to the pot:

Mine went in with issues for 4x4 the other day.

4x4 indicator screen went blank 4wd light on brake light on.

Would not switch into 4HI or 4LO

Low transfer case fluid due to a faulty 4wd switch (sensor on transferase) being cracked allowing fluid to leak out and was not able to tell computer it was in 4wd.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I was able to switch into 4 wheel yesterday when I got it back from the dealership and even with my abs, slip, vdc lights on the indicator screen stayed on and there was no 4wd code so I think I'm good there.

On the way to work though I did a u turn and through the duraction of the turn the lights went off for a few seconds so I'm thinking it has to be a bad connection.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
That sounds like a bad/loose connection or something isn't calibrated right.

Do you need to calibrate the sensors for wheel size or anything? I'm just wondering if the new sensor is set for stock tires and because of your larger tires it's giving mixed readings? (total guess as I don't know how they really work, lol).

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update: They said the new rear wheel sensor I installed was not reading properly and replaced it with a new one under warranty and it fixed the issue last friday.

Until this morning.......driving straight doing 100km/h my vdc, slip, and abs lights are back on.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah unfortunately without a code reader which reads ABS codes it makes it impossible to start trouble shooting when there is no visible damage to any of the wires.

On the way home after work as soon as I got in my truck I was able to switch into 4 hi with the lights out (which is weird) then while I was still in the parking lot I slammed on the brakes to see if the ABS brakes worked and they did, then almost instantaneously after that my 3 lights went off.

They stay off for the whole way home, and a couple times my speedometer needle jumped which in the past would cut out the ABS, slip, and VDC, only this time the system didn't cut out and it stayed good until I got home.

I was supposed to drop it off tonight at the dealership but I think I will wait now that there is no ABS light on. Given how much trouble there having diagnosing this I don't think bringing it in with no codes to read is going to help.

Starting to drive me crazy though:mad:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts