Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
on line
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know what happens when you go above the maximum 63 MPH in 4WD mode? Do the computer kick it out or do the lithium crystals start to melt down and the X burns a hole through to China?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Hole in china sounds like the most reasonable answer.

Seriously, I don't know. It doesn't kick out of 4Lo if you go over 12mph, so my guess, it would stay engaged.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
this week my 4wd wouldnt engage back until 2wd untail i was on the highway going above 40. it was very stange. im a lil concerned too.
but i also find it interesting that the manual, and the dealership push the "shift on the fly 4wd" by saying you can switch going any speed up to 60 mph. but then it says you cant go above 63 in 4wd...
to its a lil strange
but my guess is ur fine. i had 65 in 4wd on a gravel road...

·
on line
3,218 Posts
Why strain a paper-tiger drivetrain? If you're going that fast, leave off the 4wd and rely on the VDC to keep you straight at those speeds.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
125inA30zone said:
this week my 4wd wouldnt engage back until 2wd untail i was on the highway going above 40. it was very stange. im a lil concerned too.
but i also find it interesting that the manual, and the dealership push the "shift on the fly 4wd" by saying you can switch going any speed up to 60 mph. but then it says you cant go above 63 in 4wd...
to its a lil strange
My guess, you did not stop from the time you took it out of 4wd and the time you got on the highway. In order for the TC to switch back into 2wd, you have to let up on the gears. Easiest way to do this is by stopping.

·
on line
82 Posts
My understanding is that you just can't switch in to 4HI at higher than 60. 4 Low would be for low speed stuff and it changes the throttle response.

·
on line
3,050 Posts
If I know I need to be in 4hi...I usually know before I hit 60. I engage it the 4 tires flash and bingo I am in 4 hi....same when I am going back into 2wd.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Because the X's part-time 4 works by locking the front and rear driveshafts together, you really should only use 4WD on surfaces with some slip: a dirt road is fine, but asphalt is not, since the front and rear wheels need to track at slightly different speeds. Drivetrain threatening bind (or "wind-up") will occur on pavement.

Most all wheel drive cars or SUVs have some kind of center differential that can be "open" in full-time 4, designed for highway use, thus allowing the wheels front and rear to turn at slightly different speeds. There is also usually a related different torque split (52/48 in a Jeep NP 249 full time t-case, for example).

To get back into 2WD after driving off road, I usually shift the t-case as I near the road, but before I get to pavement. The slipping surface seems to ease the shift. If it wont go, stopping, reversing, then driving forward gently seems to coax it into 2. Also, a t-case that's really reluctant to shift back into 2wd may need fluid. A number of new-xers have found there t-cases low on fluid.

·
on line
1,574 Posts
Muzikman said:
125inA30zone said:
to its a lil strange
My guess, you did not stop from the time you took it out of 4wd and the time you got on the highway. In order for the TC to switch back into 2wd, you have to let up on the gears. Easiest way to do this is by stopping.
ya, i stoped, drove to like 20, nstoped, shut it off, put it in neatrual, ect, but it just kept flashing.untail i took it on the highway thinking i had to nurse it back...

·
on line
1,574 Posts
im givin it one more chance. i did some pretty nasty muddin out duck hunting right before that so idk if that had anything to do with it...

·
on line
139 Posts
d-rap said:
Because the X's part-time 4 works by locking the front and rear driveshafts together, you really should only use 4WD on surfaces with some slip: a dirt road is fine, but asphalt is not, since the front and rear wheels need to track at slightly different speeds.
What about wet asphalt? I always read about how you shouldn't use 4WD on dry pavement, but it says nothing about wet. If it's pouring really hard and I want some extra traction can I go 4WD, or am I asking for trouble?

D-Rock

·
on line
3,050 Posts
When the pavement is wet...wether its rain or snow, i have alwaysed put it in 4wd, but only if I think I can use the extra traction.
I would like some insight on this also.

·
on line
1,792 Posts
Muzikman said:
Wet weather is not the condition you want to use 4wd in.
Elaborate a bit on this, Jason. I agree that the X (or other part-time systems) shouldn't be in 4 on a rainy highway because there really isn't enough slip most of the time. I've tried it in slower situations on pavement when it's wet, and I get too much bind to feel safe. Except for serious hydroplaning (obviously only occasional), traction is probably usually too good for the locked drivetrain in the rain.

But what about full-time systems, with a center diff, or some other controlled torque split mechanism? Aren't these systems better in rain, providing less chance of losing traction at all four tires?

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Oh, full time systems are fair game, even on dry roads.

You run ours on just wet pavement and you will bind up the driveline really quick.

Since we are specifically talking about our Xterra's, that's what I was referring to.

·
on line
616 Posts
It works fine over 63mph and it is fine to use it in wet weather. I used my 4wd the other day at high speed in 4wd on wet pavement. There were spots with a significant amount of standing water and it seemed to track a bit better in 4wd through the puddles. It also helps with the short, wet on-ramps that require full bore acceleration.

I did disengage it in parking lots etc. where binding was going to be an issue.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Binding will be an issue no matter what speed you are going. Ie. just as bad on dry/wet pavement on the highway as well as a parking lot. Also, there will most likely be no indication of binding. 4wd is for low traction situations, I don't think of wet pavement as low traction.

1 - 20 of 95 Posts