Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I am a new member to the site and I have not yet figured out how to navigate things. I have a 2005 Xterra off road edition. We have had some snow here in the last few weeks and I noticed that my 4wd is not engaging. The 4wd light located in the upper left of my gauges is stuck on (no matter if I have it in 4wd or 2wd), however the light in the picture below disappeared? It does not appear at all. I got stuck in a little snow, and I tried to engage the 4wd and nothing helped. My truck didn't move. I thought it was my tires at first, but I should be able to move even with my highway tires. Does anyone have a suggestion as to what my problem could be?

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
That light (in the pic) should always be on. In 2wd it will only have the back wheel filled in (like in the pic) then when you switch to 4wd it wil flash until it engages then all four wheels with be filled in.

Where you tring to put it in 4hi or did you try to go straight to 4lo when the light went out? Are there any other warning lights on now?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
That 4WD light that you are referencing up in the upper left of the gauge cluster is a warning light. It is indicating a malfunction somewhere in the system and is probably why you can't get into 4WD. Did this continue to happen or just the one time?

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
That light should always be on. In 2wd it will only have the back wheel filled in (like in the pic) then when you switch to 4wd it wil flash until it engages then all four wheels with be filled in.

Where you tring to put it in 4hi or did you try to go straight to 4lo when the light went out? Are there any other warning lights on now?
The light he is referencing is the error indicator that just says "4WD" in orange. The light in the picture you are correct about.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried to 4hi. I only put it in 4low once to see if it would work, and it didnt seem to help. My indicator light has been on for about a week now, so it must be telling me there is something wrong. The illustration light that I posted is not there anymore. I know that it is usually indicating that the truck is in 2wd and then fills in when 4wd is engaged, but it literally is gone. The whole thing does not light up. It is there when I first start the truck, but it goes blank shortly after. I will try to do the self Diagnostic and see what I get. Thanks, I'll post my results.

·
on line
1,511 Posts
Often when this happens, if you do a hard reset by disconnecting the battery for a few minutes and then hooking it back up, all will be well and working again. Like the start of any good IT call, remove power and restart. :)
Posted via Mobile Device
^^This. always do a "Restore" first, this will resolve many issues. Like Surf said, remove positive battery post, and push on the brake to discharge any residual voltage, give it a couple min, the re-attach battery.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
^^This. always do a "Restore" first, this will resolve many issues. Like Surf said, remove positive battery post, and push on the brake to discharge any residual voltage, give it a couple min, the re-attach battery.
Yeah, I've had to do it to mine several times when out wheeling. Worked every time.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I did the self diagnostic test and got 11 flashes, so the problem is the actuator motor. I will try to undo the battery and hook it back up to see if it fixes the prob.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts