Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
a thread recently popped up with everyone's methods of engaging/disengaging 4wd.

slowly roll in neutral and turn side to side. Or back up for a bit. Sometimes when rolling with my foot off the gas and in D i'll lightly tap the gas and that helps shake everything free.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
Is it 4LO that's flashing? My did that a couple of days ago. I tried switching through all the modes of 4WD and nothing worked. Someone suggested I put it in 4HI and drive it around awhile. After about 10 miles or so I stopped and switched it to 2WD and everything is fine now.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Mine got stuck in 4 wheel low about a year ago. I tested the actuator, fuses, etc and everything checked out ok. Last resort, I drained the transfer case, drove about 5 feet forward and about 10 feet in reverse (not exactly scientific, it just worked out that way) flipped the switch and the t-case functioned flawlessly. Filled it back up and haven't had any trouble with it since.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
The icon just continues to flash. I know it disengages when there isn't a load so I slowed down, stopped, put it in park, and nothing.

Thoughts?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
When you go around corners, there is a difference in speed between the front and rear differentials, just like there is with the right and left tires. When you are in 4hi or lo, the front and rear axles are locked together, so when you go around turns, a load is built up in the driveline between the two. in order to shift out of 4hi into 2wd mode again, you have to release the bind between the two axles. simply stopping and putting the truck in park doesn't release the load, usually if you've been driving forward, if you back up while turning a short distance it will release and shift out of 4x4.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts