Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I looked down the other day to find my 4wd selector switch missing. It apparently detached from the bezel and fell back into the dash panel. I'm heading to the Adirondacks soon for a 10 day vacation and might actually need 4wd in some spots. I took it to the dealer and even though I have an extended warranty, I'd be in for $109 labor for them to diagnose and possibly more if this is just an "adjustment" and not a break fix. I walked out and want to fix it myself. I've searched here for some instruction on how to get the dash panel off. One of the more promising looking threads gives me a "404" error and must have been moved. But from what I've found, it seems like the most promising path for me (2012 Pro 4X) is through the glove box? Going top down from the coin tray sounds like it's better for older models than mine.

Before I go deep into it, any chance the bezel with the 2wd/4H/4L can just be removed, then pull the switch back through/attach to bezel/reinstall bezel?

Any insight would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Never mind - got it myself. For anyone else that ever has this problem; gently pull in the sides of the lower glove box so the stops that keep it from coming open beyond normal can pass through the opening. It's plastic so you can flex the sides in without breaking the glove box. This lets the glove box hang way down and opens up access to the center panel where the radio/4wd switch, etc. are. I was able to reach back behind the dash, find the 4wd selector and just snap it back in place. Then just pop the glove box back into place. Easy as pie and less than 5 min. :thumbup:

·
on line
951 Posts
And no huge bill from the stealership either. Any idea on how it happened? If the tabs are broken on the switch, the dealer should replace it under warranty.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No idea. I have to think something (a knee?) must have hit it to knock it out. Just goes to show what a great resources this forum is when it comes to helping with things like this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
LOL! I figured that was coming. And I've had a few opportunities to cause damage to the more delicate interior gizmos in the manner you are implying. But not this time. :dontknow:

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
sooo..... what were you doing in your x that would cause a knee "or something" to hit the 4wd selector hard enough to pop it back into the dash and you didn't even notice :wave:

:love7:
Ha that reminded me of a fun drunken time I had in my car once. The next day I found so much broken ****. I somehow kicked the stereo, broke the glovebox latch and broke the sunroof shade. I also was a minor and had permanent marker on my hands from the club, that damn marker stains were all over the interior.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Never mind - got it myself. For anyone else that ever has this problem; gently pull in the sides of the lower glove box so the stops that keep it from coming open beyond normal can pass through the opening. It's plastic so you can flex the sides in without breaking the glove box. This lets the glove box hang way down and opens up access to the center panel where the radio/4wd switch, etc. are. I was able to reach back behind the dash, find the 4wd selector and just snap it back in place. Then just pop the glove box back into place. Easy as pie and less than 5 min. 👍
This just happened to me with my 2012 Nissan Pathfinder and I tried your truck with the glovebox but I can't get my hand in or over far enough to reach the knob. Did you run into this also and if so, how'd you reach the knob? There doesn't seem to be enough room to work.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts