Time to see who's got what.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
2wd 100% on pavement. :)

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Power to one wheel most of the time, 2 wheels when in 4X4 and 3 wheels if you are locked about one tenth of 1% of the time you are off road. At 2K for the OR option what's that figure out to per mile in a year?

I know I figured on my last 4X4 my miles in 4WD and then the difference in price between the 4X4 and the 4X2 and I had about $1000 per mile in my 4X4 and swore I'd get a 4X2 next time with a winch on it. But, I have never been without a 4X4 and could not bring myself to that point. Do I have you thinking?

And just off the top of my head, I drive about 50K miles each year in winter and I'd say 75% of the people who ran off the road had 4WD.
So be careful, it's not all it's cracked up to be. MC

·
on line
246 Posts
MidnightX said:
Why buy an UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle) with a 2wd? Not to insult anyone, but that's kinda missing the point.
Because a 4x2 was streaching the budget as it were. Besides, I would probibly only get to use the 4x4 once or twice a year if I was lucky.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
Terdar said:
MidnightX said:
Why buy an UAV (Urban Assault Vehicle) with a 2wd? Not to insult anyone, but that's kinda missing the point.
Because a 4x2 was streaching the budget as it were. Besides, I would probibly only get to use the 4x4 once or twice a year if I was lucky.
To me thats worth the 4x4, but that is why there are options, so you can get exactly what you want or need.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I have 4X4 just because I have a cabin and it comes in handy. However a 4X2 and a winch would do the trick, I just would get more use out of the winch. Had they had a 4X2 with a locker, (Even electric) I would have went for that and a winch in a heart beat!

Much better MPG I am sure but no wheeling for fun. MC

·
on line
332 Posts
i like to over compensate for things

·
on line
82 Posts
This is my second Xterra. Both have been 4wd. I didn't wheel with the first one, and I regret that. Took the new X wheeling (to an official state OHV park) 30 days after I bought it. Never thought I would use 4wd low, but it does come in handy.

I have used every feature the Offroad model came with (locker, hill descent, etc) in Moab Utah. I am damn glad to pay the 2k extra (as USMC suggested was not worth it) to get those features. I had more than one next Gen owner express remorse for not getting the locker. In Moab it would take them many tries to overcome obsticals (as many as seven attempts), and with the locker on, it was just one try for me. The Offroad model is not the end all to the Xterra, it was totally worth the extra cash in my book. Some will not agree with me, which is great.

I saw Ponyboy's rig in person and it made me jealous. I am glad there is always someone willing to go the extra mile to remind us that we are not nearly as tough or crazy as we think. I hope someday someone else can set the bar higher for him, probably take tank treads or something.

·
on line
168 Posts
When I got mine through the dealer, they gave me a 4X2 loaner Xterra. Mileage is the same as the 4X4 because the front wheels spin free when you are not in 4WD. There is a little extra weight but not that much.

I use the 4WD rarely but it is worth any price when you need it.

·
on line
384 Posts
This is the first 4x4 I have owned. Do I have visions of off-roading grandeur? Nope. Do I need it most of the time? Nope. But here is why I got it...
#1 - I have moved into a position at work where I need to be able to get to the office, no matter what the weather. And Tulsa gets just enough crap in the winter that 2wd just won't cut it 100% of the time. (And I sold my front wheel drive Saturn which ROCKED in the snow!) Maybe its just the Eagle Scout in me wanting to "Be Prepared."

#2 - The wife and I have been too many places where the road turned ugly and we had to turn around in our car, even though the adventure was on up ahead. The 4x4 Xterra means not having to compromise those opportunities again. It might have been cheaper to put a lift kit on the Intrepid, but then I don't think it would have been as nice on the highway!

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --Like I stated in an earlier post-My first 4wd drive/jeep was in 1954---

--I bought my first 4wd DODGE power wagon and along with corvettes/challengers/cudas I've ALLWAYS had a 4 wheel drive truck, can't break the habit--I"M HOOKED--

-- :drunken: :drunken: --JIMBO

·
on line
3 Posts
4WD here in MN

Between the snow and ice on top and the potholes of the disintegrating roads beneath, Minnesota winters make the 4wd well worth it.

·
on line
78 Posts
My first 4x4 was a jeep wrangler I've been hooked ever since Had an 05 4x4s but wasn't happy now I have my off-road x very very happy camper! :headbang:

·
on line
376 Posts
Raymond06 said:
My first 4x4 was a jeep wrangler I've been hooked ever since Had an 05 4x4s but wasn't happy now I have my off-road x very very happy camper! :headbang:
Congrads and welcome to X2

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: --I thought XTERRAS only came in---

---------------4wd-----------------

--otherwise-- ----------WHAT--------------

-- :drunken: :drunken: --JIMBO

1 - 20 of 41 Posts