Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Xterra X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I'm new to this site. Please forgive me if someone already posted about this, I looked and couldn't find anything with my same issue.

I bought my 2007 Xterra 8 months ago. I bought knowing it had a transmission problem. Replaced the valve body and it ran fine until this week. On Monday I went into town, I was driving on the highway, going 60 when the 4WD light and CEL came on and the 4WD display disappeared. I got off the highway and got to a stop sign and the Xterra just went limp. I was able to slowly accelerate to get off the road. I let it sit for 30 mins while I waited on my dad to come get it with his rollback. I then started it and I was able to accelerate fine but the dash was the same with the 4WD light and CEL on and 4WD display gone. We checked all the ground wires. Let it sit in the garage overnight in case something might be wet. We didn't know if the problem got fixed or not, so I drove it two days later. I was able to drive 30 minutes to somewhere just fine. It sat for 30 minutes while I was at an appointment. Then I went to leave and before I even made it on the highway, I was going maybe 30mph and it started revving real loud, RPMs were past 5. I pulled over and tried again, same thing. I put the Xterra into 3rd and was able to make it 3/4 of the way home. I was coasting down a mountain got up to 55mph and then the 4WD light and CEL on and 4WD display gone. I pulled over and tried to accelerate and it was limp so I let it sit for 15 mins. Started it again and was able to make it the rest of the way home. This morning I was able to drive it to work with just the CEL on, my drive is only 5 minutes. We have yet to hook it up to the computer diagnostic system because the system my dad uses is currently down.

Has this happened to anyone else? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Does the radiator fluid look like a strawberry milkshake?

·
Premium Member
1,498 Posts
Sounds like 2nd gear fail safe mode. It's in the AT section of the service manual. (Head over to nicoclub to get a copy if you haven't already.)

Probably lost contact with the abs module over the can bus gets no speed data so it drops into limp mode. Could be a really weak battery, old white IPDM needing upgrade to the black model, damaged wheel sensor etc wire, etc. Start with the simple/cheap stuff first, the FSM trouble shooting is a good read.

As noted in the screenshot, if you get U1000 code when you scan for codes, then solve the can bus comm errors before throwing money at any other parts.

20200104_000657.jpg

·
Registered
5,118 Posts
Where you doing any kind of extreme towing or long hill climbs where you could of overheated the transmission? Are the trans cooler lines connected to the radiator or are they bypassed?

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
In the first post you stated you bought knowing it had trans issues, that along with the fact that the PO replaced the rad indicate that it could have had smod, they caught it early and "fixed it". just a thought

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Xterra X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. Still not quite sure what it is but looks like it will need a new transmission.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Well, since you replaced the valve body originally, I would start with the TCM, since Its part of the valve body. Did you swap your TCM into the valve body when it was replaced, or just keep the one that came with the replacement valve body?

Anyway, it sounds like it might just be TCM / wiring / electrical, not necessarily a dead trans? This guy had a similar problem: TCM's are a Pain!

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Xterra X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, since you replaced the valve body originally, I would start with the TCM, since Its part of the valve body. Did you swap your TCM into the valve body when it was replaced, or just keep the one that came with the replacement valve body?

Anyway, it sounds like it might just be TCM / wiring / electrical, not necessarily a dead trans? This guy had a similar problem: TCM's are a Pain!
A new TCM was put in. The thread you shared said something about a connector being melted. I’ll have to check that out. Thanks!

·
Registered
2006 Nissan Xterra OR
102 Posts
This is unrelated to the OP's problem but just wanted to add a bit more general info on the 4wd warning light and loss of the 4wd display for those that encounter this type of problem.

This just happened to my 2006 OR I recently picked up. No CEL just the 4wd warning light when trying to engage 4Hi. Ran the self diagnose and got 13 flashes. Replaced a bad transfer shutoff relay and all is good again. My local Nissan service manager told me they on occasion see a front axle C clip slip out of the front diff and trigger the 4wd warning light. If the ABS CEL is on that can be causing the problem also.

·
Registered
2007 Nissan Xterra X
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks everyone for the advice. We’ve looked over the Xterra many times and tried different fixes. But today the transmission crapped out so it’s time for a new transmission.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts