Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
on line
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally had a chance to really use 4WD during the snow storm this week here in Chicago & only really needed it to navigate my alley & the side streets. After I've cleared the snowed streets & got on cleared streets, I would put it back in 2WD & it seems to disengage the front axel but the indicator light on the dash (the one that shows your drive train) blinks for like 5-10 min. before it goes off. This happens while I am driving & stopped at stoplights. I've tried putting it back on 4WD & switching it back to 2WD in both the stopped position & while moving & it still takes up to 10 min. to go out. I've searched under "4wd indicator" & found nothing -- Checked the manual & there's nothing in there that says anything about it blinking for more that a couple of seconds. The "4x4" light never comes on either (indicating that there's a problem).

Has anyone ever had this issue?

btw, it's an 06 OR w/ MT.

Any insight would be great.

thanx,

Cipher

·
on line
618 Posts
Ive got the same setup: 06 OR MT. It does take a few seconds for my 4wd hi to change to 2wd on the indicator. You do have to drive in a strait line but otherwise it should be easy. Now if you are in 4lo, you'll have to come to a complete stop, and press in the clutch to go from lo to hi. It helps if this is done in a strait line as well.

-Old Army

·
on line
9 Posts
I've had the same problem. I found that if you are stopped and reverse a couple feet it disengages and the light stops blinking. It's kind of like unlocking the hubs on a locking differntial.

·
on line
81 Posts
I was doing a lot of switching back and forth between 2wd and 4hi today roads kept going from clear to covered in Ice and snow. What I noticed is that when driving in 4hi and switching back to 2wd it would keep blinking as long as I had the accelerator depressed. I could get it to change stop flashing real quick by leaving the clutch out and in gear and just taking my foot completely off the accelarator. As soon as it lifted off the lite would stop blinking and I would press down again. This became habit real quick when going back to 2wd. I think the system doesn't like to change while your still putting power to the wheels.

Someone else give this a try let me know if I'm just crazy or if this really works.

·
on line
1,479 Posts
I noticed that from the very first day i used 4HI I have AT but for me by just letting off the gas just a hair made the trick

·
on line
81 Posts
Great so I wasn't imagining it. This is the first time I've switched back from 4 hi while moving at speed.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Kind of same principal of floating gears. You can't get em to change unless you power up a bit and take the pressure off them. Once you get the teeth "Floating" it will switch, but as long as there is pressure on them, they stay where they are. So yea, switch lift off the gas a bit and put it back down. Just like they said. But 45 min? That is like way wrong, it should change at 1st time you change the pressure on the gears.

MC

·
on line
1,831 Posts
Cymon said:
I found that if you are stopped and reverse a couple feet it disengages and the light stops blinking. It's kind of like unlocking the hubs on a locking differntial.
X2

·
on line
631 Posts
i had that problem when i first purchased my X. after using 4wd a few times it quit. i have an AT also, but my light doesnt blink at all anymore. it lights up all four when i put it in 4hi. it blinks when i put it back to 2wd tho.
strange... but i had a problem with 4wd the first time i used it. the indicator in the RPM guage shut off and beeped really loud, and all the lights came on. i babied it to the dealer and they said nothing was wrong, but they had the car for several hours and to this day i still dont know what happened.

Well now that you mention it, same exact thing happened to me. Exact! They got some codes said must have been a bad ground and see ya! So maybe it's a 1st time in 4WD thing? Never happened since to me either.
Mine beeped like crazy too, like I did something seriously wrong. I turned it off and on re start it stopped it all.
MC

·
on line
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, I tried going in reverse for 10 ft. or so........it worked!!! thanx!! but it is still a problem. I think I'll take it into the dealer. I've only got 12k miles on it & it was the first that i ever used it. it's not normal. i'm sure its a sensor issue....thanx everyone.

cipher

·
on line
54 Posts
I was doing some experamenting on this the past couple of days. It seems the best thing to do is put the truck in neutral and tap the breaks. You don't have to break hard enough to slow down signifigantly, just hard enough to unload the axle shafts. I am fairly sure that when the indicator is blinking it is waiting for the hubs to lock/unlock rather than for the gears in the transfer case to mesh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts