Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When i disengage 4WD into 2WD the light on the dash just sits there and blinks. I let off the gas to allow it do disengage and it doesn't work. The only way i can stop in from blinking is either stopping completely and reversing or either making a sharp turn to the left or right. Shouldn't the system disengage just driving regularly like most shift on the fly 4WD vehicles?

·
on line
1,716 Posts
Re: 4WD Indicator blinking. (The one that shows the 4 wheels

bikemanj7 said:
...shit on the fly 4WD vehicles?

Sorry juvenile moment...

Is yours an auto or a manual transmission?
Mine is a manual and all I have to do is engage the clutch and then release and go it comes out of 4WD every time. If yours is an auto maybe try shifting into neutral and then back into gear.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
You have to release the pressure on the gears. Stopping, turning, backing up, or driving on loose traction surface (snow, ice, dirt, grave, etc) will all do this.

BTW, I think you mean "SHIFT" on the fly. ;)

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
WHOOPS... Did i say that? lol But back to the subject. Mine is an auto. When i used to come out of 4WD all i would do is let off the gas completely and turn the knob and it would stop blinking and disengage fine. Now i do that same Procedure let off the gas and shift out and it just sits there and blinks. ??? I have to now stop completely and reverse to get it to stop blinking.

·
on line
1,695 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Sometimes pumping the brakes helps, but other times it takes a couple minutes to stop. The bad thing is it is still in 4wd when blinking.

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm very weird. I think i might need to take it to the dealer for this issue. Because i'll need it to pull out to the main road the shift back to 2WD and then it will stay engaged for my whole drive. Kinda funky.

·
on line
25 Posts
I get same thing, but when you listen carefully you can actually hear the solenoid disengage the 4WD while electronics still blink for a few seconds/minutes.

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah I've tested that when i'm stopped i can hear it disengage but when i'm driving on a hwy i think it stays in.

·
on line
210 Posts
Topic covered many times.

To disengage the 4WD while driving you have to release the pressure on the transfer case. To do so, drive at a steady speed (not accelerating, not decelerating - just coasting). Sometime, shifting to neutral helps... This should be done when you're still on loose surface, dry pavement is not very good to release pressure...

Regards

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm... ok ill try some of these. I wouldn't think it would be so hard for it to disengage 4WD.

·
on line
210 Posts
bikemanj7 said:
hmm... ok ill try some of these. I wouldn't think it would be so hard for it to disengage 4WD.
You have to remember that you're driving a real 4x4. It's a small price to pay to have a very solid gear box...

My usual sequence is: steady speed, shift to neutral, flip the switch to 2WD, shift to Drive... 97% success...

·
on line
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Cool thanks for the info.

·
on line
79 Posts
ive never had much of a problem with this. i usually just stop put it in neutral, turn the knob to 2wd and put it in either drive or reverse.

·
on line
1,165 Posts
i also would like to thank for the advice, because it was doing this to me earlier this week...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts