Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

Preferred offroad method

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Been to the local offroad park a few times and used both 4hi and 4lo and was told by a few to run around everywhere in 4lo(jeep guys). Well the 1st time at the park i did everthing from climbing walls to deep water to sand dunes and never got stuck once(in 4hi). The last time I went I did the entire park in 4lo and got stuck twice and didnt make it up some larger hills that i did in 4hi. I'm thinking the TSC was playing a larger role in my not getting stuck?

·
Registered
595 Posts
I use 4LO on the trails in N. Ga. The lower gear range just seems to work well for me. Takes care of mud, rocks, steep inclines, etc. I only use the rear locker on rare occassions. I used 4HI years ago in NY mainly for street driving in the snow and ice.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
This poll is kind of ridiculous man. Not trying to rain on your parade here, but they are each used for ENTIRELY different purposes.

EDIT: Definitely keep the poll up if you want, people should understand though that those aren't both there just for driver preference. Each has it's purpose. High gear is something that can be used in a variety of instances, simple on road snow and ice if you want or just higher speed offroad where traction may be limited, but you don't need that low gearing, torque, throttle control etc. Low gear on the other hand provides the driver with much more control in almost every situation. The lower gear allows you to maintain good throttle control, prevents excessive wheel spin (from either poor throttle control or just simply to high gear in slippery situations), it also helps you to minimize stress on the transmission and the drive line.
In short, they are just two VERY different functions. One should not be a favorite over another, they should both be "tools in a shed" per se.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I like both. I use both. 4HI for less aggressive offroad situations, 4 LO for steep grades, crawling, and mountain trail descents (4 LO and 1st or 2nd gear with an auto trans. is AWESOME for descending.) I'm not afraid to switch back and forth on different parts of the same trip.

If i *HAD* to choose, I'd go with 4LO, but it would slow me down a lot.

·
Registered
5,492 Posts
I had already edited the post to explain my original comment with more detail. I couldn't care less what your "favorite" is. My point though is that sometimes guys show up to wheel at events with no knowledge other than what they gained from the forum. I really don't want to be spotting someone that feels like 4HI is his "precious" on a rocky hill climb. It holds the entire group up and could result in a lengthy trail repair depending on the extent of the damage.

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
^ This. Each is good. But I usually reserve 4lo for climbs, long streches of rocks, or technical stuff. I feel like throttle control is better and get the lower ratio. I used to think 4hi till stuck, then 4lo, then locker if ya have one. But having gotten wiser I now know to switch between the 3 depending on situation.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
In my area, the terrain usually allows 4LO when you leave the pavement. I don't believe in switching back and forth all the time, the Xterra T-case is finicky enough without fiddling with it frequently. It's not a twin stick manual case that you can play like a slot machine. Put it in a gear and leave it until you get back on smooth road.

I believe if you can comfortably run in 4LO, and the trail is challenging at all, do it. It's so much easier on the drive train and you can practically idle around. That is why I have tranny gears, I can run fast enough on a trail in low to jostle my guts out without jumping into high range. If your bombing a rally track gavel road, by all means use high range.

I drive a manual, which may lend me to prefer low range for easier shifts and less stress on the clutch, but those of you with autos should consider this also takes stress off your torque converters, even if you don't have a direct feel on them to tell they are heating up the slush, they are.

·
Registered
1,755 Posts
In my area, the terrain usually allows 4LO when you leave the pavement. I don't believe in switching back and forth all the time, the Xterra T-case is finicky enough without fiddling with it frequently. It's not a twin stick manual case that you can play like a slot machine. Put it in a gear and leave it until you get back on smooth road.

I believe if you can comfortably run in 4LO, and the trail is challenging at all, do it. It's so much easier on the drive train and you can practically idle around. That is why I have tranny gears, I can run fast enough on a trail in low to jostle my guts out without jumping into high range. If your bombing a rally track gavel road, by all means use high range.

I drive a manual, which may lend me to prefer low range for easier shifts and less stress on the clutch, but those of you with autos should consider this also takes stress off your torque converters, even if you don't have a direct feel on them to tell they are heating up the slush, they are.
^This.

Of course I am 6 speed MT too...

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Wow, interesting answers and lots of "my pee pee is bigger than yours"
Jeez.
Around my part of the country we all stop at the beginning of the trail, air down and drop to 4LO. You have no business being in 4HI on trails rated medium to difficult here.
There must be some big differences in trail style and difficulty. We have steep ascents and descents with rock gardens. You just need the lower gearing to crawl through it. Granted, every once in a while one of us struggles (or fails) up something only to realize 4LO didn't engage. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
There must be some big differences in trail style and difficulty. We have steep ascents and descents with rock gardens. You just need the lower gearing to crawl through it. Granted, every once in a while one of us struggles (or fails) up something only to realize 4LO didn't engage. :rolleyes:
This is what I mean. Around me there are bunches of fire trails in between the hard stuff, no need for 4lo on them, but out there totally different.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts