Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the truck has hit the four year old mark, and I'm wondering if I don't replace the coolant if Nissan might give me warranty problems? Say the SMOD happens at year 5-7 while it's under that extended radiator warranty and it still has the original coolant?

It doesn't even have 11k on it yet, and I just don't see the sense in changing it if i don't have to. Once that extended warranty runs out I'm replacing the radiator anyway... maybe even before it runs out.

Am I ok to let it go for a few more years since the mileage is so low anyway? Or would Nissan use that as grounds for not paying for a new transmission if the radiator does fail under warranty?

·
Registered
193 Posts
You have an 09, I haven't heard of anyone having SMOD on 09's myself included. also, if your truck only has 11k miles on it, it's fine and so is your rad. The blue coolant in your truck (it should be blue if it's an 09) is good for many miles.

·
on line
1,416 Posts
Factory recommended minimum service for the cooling system is at 60K miles or 48 months, whichever comes first. Some 09 Xterras came with the green Nissan coolant, mine did.

Additives in the coolant do not last forever, however, the freezing point depression will not change with time unless you dilute the mix with water.

Jeff

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must have the blue coolant too. Took the cap off the overflow tank and shining a flashlight straight down it almost looks black. Shining the light in from the side makes it look more blue than green.

It's not the same engine, but my uncles 07 frontier with the 4cyl has 275k on the original coolant.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Is there a proper way to dispose of coolant?

·
Registered
194 Posts
At the very least you should have your coolant tested. The reason I am having to buy an Xterra is because the coolant went bad in my Dakota and corroded the crap out of the aluminum manifolds to the point where the engine is a timebomb waiting to come apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts