Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

4 x Different 265/75/16's w/ Pics!

6K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  chevy42083 
#1 ·
As some of you may know from this thread Are 33s a bad idea on a stock 2008 S 4x4 automatic , I've been back and forth on which tires to get for my X (33's or 32's).

I've decided that 32's (265/75/16) were the best choice for my needs, but I wanted to choose one of the "bigger" 265/75/16's out there - ones that measured out to be at least 31.9 or higher according to their published specs.

I narrowed it down to the following:

Falken MT01
Yokohama Geolandar G003 M/T
Cooper ST MAXX
Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3

Specs can be misleading once you see these in person, so I had my buddy who works at a tire shop get one of each so I could compare side by side.

Although the pics are from a side view, the width of these tires can be very deceiving, as different tread patterns can create the illusion of width, and the tires that have stepped shoulders like the Yokohama can look like pizza cutters.

In addition, the sidewalls can have that same sorta effect on how tall the tires look, because of how your eye is drawn to them.

Anyhoo, here are some side shots. Hope you guys find this somewhat useful, haha.

Falken MT01

Yokohama Geolandar G003 M/T

Cooper ST MAXX

- Paul

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks! I like the Yokohama's, but in bigger sizes. For me, in this size, they don't quite work for the Xterra body style on the front... that, and they look the narrowest because of the stepped shoulder. They look half an inch narrower than the other 3 tires :(

What wheels are those?
Just the stock 5 spokes. To be clear, these tires aren't mounted. I just rolled them in front of the stockers and took the pics :)

#6 ·
I have the Mickey ATZ and I am happy with it.
I think I paid less than $700 for all 4 installed on Amazon.
For an AT tires they are pretty aggressive (I think they call them hybrids AT/MT).
I am in Florida so I need more of a mud/sand tires and not so much side bite on the tires.

#7 ·
. . .
Cooper ST MAXX

Cooper ST MAXX
View attachment 127454

View attachment 127455
The Cooper Discoverer ST/Maxx and Cooper Discoverer STT Pro both have Cooper's Armor-Tec3 3-ply sidewall tire carcass. Cooper acquired Mickey Thompson in 2003. Prior to 2003, Cooper manufactured tires for Mickey Thompson. The Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3 and Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ P3 have always been based on Cooper's Armor-Tec3 3-ply sidewall tire carcass.

#8 ·
Yes Sir, very true. For those of you looking at either of these two tires, I can tell you that the Mickey Thomson's look taller and wider in person, and more aggressive tread pattern as well.

Not sure if it really comes across in the pics, but ST MAXX has some deep embossing in their sidewall tread pattern about halfway down on the sidewall. The Mickey's have something similar but it's much closer to the outside of the tire, and they way it draws your eye when looking in person, makes the Mickey's look slightly taller.

The actual tread pattern makes the Mickey's look wider and more aggressive also (and possibly more road noise), because they have two distinct "blocks" in the center of the tread that alternate, where the ST MAXX alternates between 2 and 3 blocks on every other row.

And remember when I said the Yokohama's looks skinnier even though technically they aren't? This pic shows it fairly well:

That's the MIckey Thompson ATZ P3 in the front, with the Yohohama Geolandar G003 M/T in the rear. You can see on the Yokohama that yes it's wide, but where your eye is drawn toward the tread of the tire, the tread starts inward about a 1/4" on each side, so it basically looks a full 1/2 skinnier than the Mickey Thompson ATZ P3

:)

- Paul

#13 · (Edited)
Decided on the Mickey Thompson ATZ p3's in 265/75/16 on some brand new steelies, powder coated Matte Black, with custom painted centers by yours truly. Got the exact look I was after. Goes great with the Desert Stone.

Sneak peek before the lift install this weekend:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.