Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, I did search but I feel like such a dope for even asking this. I've never towed anything with the X or otherwise so I need to ask. When I installed the hitch there was a harness that I plugged in under the X and it has 4 wires. Is this all I needed for towing a basic trailer? Why would I want/need the 7 wire setup? Thanks guys.

·
on line
127 Posts
That should be all you need to pull most boats/Uhauls/etc.. The 7 pin setup is typically for trailers with brakes as the extra wires can control the electric braking unit on the trailer with a signal sent from an additional controller box in the cabin of the X

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
don't worry, you're not a dope. i have been wondering this same thing since i am about to order a trailer hitch for mine.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
BuckeyeNavy said:
That should be all you need to pull most boats/Uhauls/etc.. The 7 pin setup is typically for trailers with brakes as the extra wires can control the electric braking unit on the trailer with a signal sent from an additional controller box in the cabin of the X
He is right on with the description. What I liked about the Nissan one is it came with the brake assist stuff as well instead of having to buy a bunch of extra crap.

·
on line
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Thanks guys. My wife and I are relocating to Portland, OR and I may need some additional space in the form of a U-Haul trailer.

·
on line
92 Posts
mfenske said:
Awesome! Thanks guys. My wife and I are relocating to Portland, OR and I may need some additional space in the form of a U-Haul trailer.
I towed a 6x12 U-Haul trailer earlier this year and it was a 4-pin setup. Had to buy a 7-to-4-pin converter. Blar.

·
on line
127 Posts
that 6x12 trailer was terrible. I pulled that thing filled with my worldly possesions after I graduated and headed off to flight school.. Thing was fishtailing and blah. I hate uhaul. Guess thats why it says max speed 45...

·
on line
145 Posts
BuckeyeNavy said:
that 6x12 trailer was terrible. I pulled that thing filled with my worldly possesions after I graduated and headed off to flight school.. Thing was fishtailing and blah. I hate uhaul. Guess thats why it says max speed 45...
U-Haul trailers usually tow pretty well. I would suspect that the weight distribution of your belongings could have been better.

The four wire setup will work for most smaller trailers but it must have that little dohickey that allows the turn signals and brakes work on the same bulbs. The factory (dealer) sets the Xterras up with the seven pin plug which is handy for future just in case situations. I had to buy a 7 to 4 adapter which has the dohickey (can't remember the proper name) thing in it.

·
on line
92 Posts
BuckeyeNavy said:
I had no problems at all while towing the uhaul trailer. I drove it about 400 miles and went about 65 mph max

·
on line
127 Posts
Strange.. I was so meticulous about loading that thing 60% forward of the axle... The thing itself looked ancient.. I pulled a Uhaul car carrier with my 75 camaro with no problem. I think this was just a poorly maintained trailer I couldn't get much above 55 without it bouncing and fishtailing. Oh well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts