Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So my buddy is installing my 4:56 ring and pinion into a locked m226 out if a 2010 xterra. Everything is fine except when we go to tighten down the carrier bearing cap the whole differential locks up. We follows this step by step and my buddy is a master mechanic but were stuck any help is needed
Posted via Mobile Device

solved page 3

·
on line
22,508 Posts
So my buddy is installing my 4:56 ring and pinion into a locked m226 out if a 2010 xterra. Everything is fine except when we go to tighten down the carrier bearing cap the whole differential locks up. We follows this step by step and my buddy is a master mechanic but were stuck any help is needed
Posted via Mobile Device
That sounds like the carrier bearing preload is too tight. Try this, loosen the adjusters considerably (just temporary, not to assemble, just as a test), and then tighten the bearing caps. Does it still seize then? I know quite a bit about rebuilding diffs, and I dont mind helping you guys figure it out.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
And what if after doing that it doesn't seize? Do you keep tighting them until?
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
22,508 Posts
And what if after doing that it doesn't seize? Do you keep tighting them until?
Posted via Mobile Device
If after doing that it doesn't seize, then we know that the problem is that you either have too much carrier bearing preload, or that you are too deep in the contact pattern (meaning the carrier is too far sideways in the passenger side direction and needs to be more to the driver side).

Remember, setting up a diff is almost never a one-and-done. It's many iterations to get it right. We need to first get it to be able to rotate at all, then after that we need to deal with both setting the correct pattern (contact depth for side to side carrier adjustment) and then finally the carrier bearing preload.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay will try this and let you know the results I'm not sure if he'll do it today or tomorrow thanks jay
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just talked with him after i left and he had this to say " ill add another shim under the pinion bearing . but an eight of inch is an awful lot for a pinion shim".

I dont know if that applys for aftermarket gears but i wont be able to see it till tomorrow

·
on line
22,508 Posts
just talked with him after i left and he had this to say " ill add another shim under the pinion bearing . but an eight of inch is an awful lot for a pinion shim".

I dont know if that applys for aftermarket gears but i wont be able to see it till tomorrow
That makes no sense. Adding another shim to the pinion bearing will only make this WORSE! This will only ram the pinion gear further into the ring gear causing it to be even tighter. Is their a communication issue, or was that his actual suggestion? If so you have the wrong guy rebuilding your diff. And yes, 1/8" is a lot of shim, but he shouldn't be adding, so.... How much actual diff experience does he have? I'm not trying to sound rude, but most techs I've worked with cannot rebuild a diff. It's a bit of a challenge and a rather sensitive delicate job.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
193 Posts
I have ran into this problem before, basically what I find is the carrier bearings caps are not going down evenly and it binds itself up, IE wont move at all. Sometimes I tighten down the caps 5 or 6 times before it feels good. Pinion depth also can effect this. The torque on the carrier bearing caps is super critical, an inch pound will bind your carrier up

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That makes no sense. Adding another shim to the pinion bearing will only make this WORSE! This will only ram the pinion gear further into the ring gear causing it to be even tighter. Is their a communication issue, or was that his actual suggestion? If so you have the wrong guy rebuilding your diff. And yes, 1/8" is a lot of shim, but he shouldn't be adding, so.... How much actual diff experience does he have? I'm not trying to sound rude, but most techs I've worked with cannot rebuild a diff. It's a bit of a challenge and a rather sensitive delicate job.
Posted via Mobile Device
Idk his level of experience in this category most likely ill be taking it somewhere else today when I pick it up and yes that was his actual word for word txt to me

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well doesn't matter what the issue is now the ratio which should've been checked by me, was incorrect these are 5:13 gears not 4:56. Idk if that's what's creating the issue but it's an issue non the less
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Ehhh? You got these from Rugged rocks, right? That makes no sense ... unless somehow the wrong box went out to you or something ...

Sucks you're having these issues. Sorry to hear it ... hopefully they can be resolved with a minimum of hassle.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ehhh? You got these from Rugged rocks, right? That makes no sense ... unless somehow the wrong box went out to you or something ...

Sucks you're having these issues. Sorry to hear it ... hopefully they can be resolved with a minimum of hassle.
ya there for the rear m226 and it was sierra gears fault Im assuming, but its definitely the wrong gears and thats whats cause the fitment issues as well. Hopefully monday i can get ahold of steven and get this taken care off. The front is finished though and went together perfect no issues.

·
on line
5,042 Posts
Pull out the spline stretcher and make it work!! Good luck to ya buddy lol

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So after being on the phone for the past few days with steven at rugged rocks I think we determined the problem. I was sent the wrong spacer. There are 2, one for an arb rear end and one for an e locker. the spacer is the 1/8th bigger which is what i need in order to fix my backlash and move the carrier so it lines up and doesn't touch the carrier bearing. Hopefully this is the fix. Sierra had the gears sent out monday so hopefully should have them tomorrow or thursday and steven is 2nd day airing my spacer and longer bolts no charge ( i offered) but great guy to deal with im very happy its him and not someone else I had to deal with this through.

·
Veteran - AKA Truffle's
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Dang man. Wrong gears AND wrong spacer. You have my kind of luck!
Posted via Mobile Device
ya its lovely and i have camping trips and a family moab trip coming up. Thats the only reason i dropped this money i really should've saved but i was so excited lol

1 - 20 of 30 Posts