1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
550 Posts
2.8 L cummins Xterra! the unstoppable machine! but yeah, need some pics or drawings!

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think when the words come from Andy Palmer's mouth that its as good as done. The only higher source in the company would be Ghosn himself.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Seems like he would have just said xterra if that's what it is. May be something new or they haven't decided yet whether to give an xterra body or something completely different.

Someone's gonna wrap their x in plastic and drive around to see how many times it ends up on internet. Might be a good grass roots advertising stunt to nudge Nissan along.

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Looks like the next gen Frontier/Navara will begin production later this year even--at least in terms of the global, Navara version as the Nissan plant in Thailand will begin producing it in under 8 months...

http://www.motoring.com.au/news/com...-york-motor-show-new-nissan-navara-near-43098
the new Navara-based SUV will be a seven-seat off-road wagon
Nooooo! The bloat is creeping into the line. The Gen1 was significantly smaller than the Gen2. Now the Gen3 will be big enough for three rows of seats? While I love the idea of a diesel, I'm worried that the Gen3 will be the size of the last-gen Pathfinder. That will put it into a different class with very different competition and make it harder to navigate off road. One think I love about the X now is the size.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
I would see some around the Smyrna plant when they get to testing.. Even though they are not building them here any longer they still test the trucks here as well as canton..

Still 2 years away from anything at dealers..

I have been told by a insider that Titan will launch next summer.. So it wouldn't be till six months after that launch before Frontier would be launched..

Still reports like this only put pressure on Nissan that the normal people want a true SUV

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
Highlanders have a third fold down seat, seems around same size as X.
The Highlander is longer than the X and has a terrible departure angle, horrible breakover, and pathetic approach angle. They moved the wheels towards the center of the vehicle to maximize in-town maneuverability. Compare it side-by-side to the X and look at the wheel base and the front and rear overhangs.

·
on line
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
3L turbo diesel engine confirmed (at least for the overseas version), also a body on frame 7 seater SUV version now confirmed. Reveal of truck version at least within the next month...and it is closer than two years out to be seen in dealerships as it goes into production later this year...

Update link at bottom:

http://nismostuff.blogspot.com/2014/04/2015-2016-next-generation-frontier.html

·
Registered
321 Posts
Wow, that thing called the IDX is certainly ugly (in the update link). It reminds me of a car from long ago (all I can think of is Studebaker, but that's not right) that was similarly ugly. HPH

·
on line
10,980 Posts
I have a hard time taking anything reported for Australia as gospel for the US market ... but it does give clues as to direction.

That article was the first I had heard about IDx being confirmed for production ... everything I've seen so far, especially from the US press, has talked about it as a concept exercise. Though from what I understand the concept cars were built as runners; albeit on chassis that would have nothing to do with production versions, were those to come about.

... and I think there may have been some mis-reading of the bits about the 3L motor for the Navara, from the update link:
Carsguide also has been told that the current Navara's high-powered 3.0-litre turbo diesel V6, sourced from parent company Renault, will be dropped because the new 2.0-litre engine will get close to the Renault's 550Nm. Other areas of improvement are payload and towing capacity, where the current model falls behind the newer competition.
The 3L motor they're talking about sounds like the current Navara's V9X ... which is an international motor sourced from Renault, something we've never and will never see here in the US.

I'm with all those expressing reservations about the 7-seat SUV comments ... hope we don't see any more growth on the US Xterra. IMO, it's a great size and situated well to be a sole competitor to the 4-door Wrangler.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Highlanders have a third fold down seat, seems around same size as X.
my xterra is just as long (give or take 2 or 3 inches) and taller than my parent's 2004 mercury mountaineer (ford explorer basically) that has 3 rows. just because it has three rows doesn't make it big. the new rogue has three rows and it's not big. so I agree with you, seats don't dictate size.

look at the suburban, its a boat and that third row has NO room. I cant even sit in the third row.

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Okay ... so you fold them flat, into their footwells, and you have a typical cargo area. But now you have folded up seats that are taking up room, in the F-Alpha platform (2nd Gen Xterra and Pathfinder) the way the Pathy got that room was through IRS and a fixed rear diff.

Move the suspension back and go to coils instead of leaves (look at the rear arm layout on the Armada/Pathfinder) ... Bob's your uncle. Not that IRS or coils are strictly a bad thing ... just that there's more to it than simply trading cargo room for seating area.

Personally, I like the high-clearance and rear solid-axle of the current-gen Xterra ... and would only sign up for a 3rd row if I didn't have to give those things up.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts