Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have considered jumping to 35's and I may have found a set of 315 75 16 duratracs for cheap. I have over 3" of suspension lift and plan to run 1.5 wheel spacers. I understand though, that there is some difficulty running 315's on our stock 7" wide wheels. If I was able to find someone to mount those behemoths on my stockers, outside of fender trimming, would this be an acceptable setup? Do I need or is a BL recommended? Will these tires be a danger to my differentials?

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have considered jumping to 35's and I may have found a set of 315 75 16 duratracs for cheap. I have over 3" of suspension lift and plan to run 1.5 wheel spacers. I understand though, that there is some difficulty running 315's on our stock 7" wide wheels. If I was able to find someone to mount those behemoths on my stockers, outside of fender trimming, would this be an acceptable setup? Do I need or is a BL recommended? Will these tires be a danger to my differentials?
315/75r16 will not fit on 7" wheels. You'll need new wheels. You'll also need a body lift and, even with a 2" body lift and 3" of suspension lift, you'll likely find yourself having to trim your fenders as well.

Lastly, on your diffs, I personally would not run 35's on the stock r180 diff. It's simply not strong enough and you'd very likely end up blowing it to bits.

Look around this thread: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113905, you'll see that most of the folks running 35's have done a full Titan Swap.

Much work needs to be done on our rigs to squeeze in 35's successfully.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I disagree with most of the above. Many people have ran 315's on stock wheels with no problems. Also, the diff issues are overblown! If you're not a nut with the gas pedal, it will be fine if the diff is in good health to begin with! Could it still break? Sure, but it can certainly break with 33's too! A body lift would certainly make things easier as far as fitment goes but it really depends on how much fender you don't mind trimming.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
on line
1,922 Posts
I ran that size on stock wheels for a while. Never had issues.

There's been a few people to run 35s on an R180 without problems too. Just understand the risk and have a plan to mitigate it.

·
on line
14,613 Posts
315/75r16 will not fit on 7" wheels. You'll need new wheels. You'll also need a body lift and, even with a 2" body lift and 3" of suspension lift, you'll likely find yourself having to trim your fenders as well.

Lastly, on your diffs, I personally would not run 35's on the stock r180 diff. It's simply not strong enough and you'd very likely end up blowing it to bits.

Look around this thread: http://www.thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=113905, you'll see that most of the folks running 35's have done a full Titan Swap.

Much work needs to be done on our rigs to squeeze in 35's successfully.
I would listen to this advice.
except I run 35's on stock steelies currently.
but plan to go to deadlocks.

you'll need lockers if you want to strengthen the R180 and the rear.

My .02

unless its a mall crawler then it dont matter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could regearing give me some temporary or partial relief? It seems the stock is 3.13, with r180 and 200(k?) on the back, what is the max I could regear that to? Is that worth it?

I understand there is some risk running that on a 7incher, but what is the worst that could happen?

·
Registered
575 Posts
Think you'll find those monster tires are not good in the snow around Helena. Guessing best size would be 235/85-16 - 32". Firm believer in 'tall and skinny'. Also believe gears are too high stock and 35" will make it worse. Re-gearing will not make diff. stronger.

Could lose a bead in higher speed cornering and kill yourself!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Think you'll find those monster tires are not good in the snow around Helena. Guessing best size would be 235/85-16 - 32". Firm believer in 'tall and skinny'. Also believe gears are too high stock and 35" will make it worse. Re-gearing will not make diff. stronger.

Could lose a bead in higher speed cornering and kill yourself!
Lose a bead why?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
on line
3,285 Posts
People have done it (35s on stock wheels, stock gears, and no BL) successfully, with major fender trimming. If you do a BL, there will be less fender trimming.

Some of the big tire shops will not mount the 315s on the stock wheels, but I'm sure you could find some shops that are willing to do it.

Yes, adding extra weight on the corners will stress the suspension and the differentials.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I disagree with most of the above. Many people have ran 315's on stock wheels with no problems.
Posted via Mobile Device
I should have specified that the 315 Duratracs that the OP was referencing will not fit on 7" wheels - spec on that tire calls for a minimum 8" width. I'm sure there are some 315 that'll sit into a 7" wheel, but the Duratracs aren't built for that. Can they be squeezed on there? Probably. Safely? Probably not.

Some of the big tire shops will not mount the 315s on the stock wheels, but I'm sure you could find some shops that are willing to do it.
Agreed - but when it comes to my tires, I've never been keen to rest my safety and well-being on the idea that a shop was 'willing to do it'. I think the big shops avoid it for a reason.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Hell, even my 285/75/16 AT2's want to see a minimum 7.5" wide wheel. When I ran them on my stock wheels I had to keep them right around 32psi just to get them to have a flat contact patch, this is vs the 50-55psi I can now run them at with my 8" wide wheel. Handles way better on the highway now and I picked up 2 mpg.

I never lost a tire aired up or down but I think it was due to the very rough bead seat that I ended up with after powder coating the wheels. The tire shop had to turn up the pressure on the tire machine to get them back off the wheels:laughing3:

My .02 would be grab some beater 8" wide wheels. Might not be able to tell the difference on the trail but getting there you will. Plus, no hassle with the tire shops:eek:ccasion5:

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
I should have specified that the 315 Duratracs that the OP was referencing will not fit on 7" wheels - spec on that tire calls for a minimum 8" width. I'm sure there are some 315 that'll sit into a 7" wheel, but the Duratracs aren't built for that. Can they be squeezed on there? Probably. Safely? Probably not.

Agreed - but when it comes to my tires, I've never been keen to rest my safety and well-being on the idea that a shop was 'willing to do it'. I think the big shops avoid it for a reason.
I'd agree that the manufacturer specs should be followed... but there are many that dont and I havent seen anyone on this site having an issue with doing so. No 315 that I know of lists anything than an 8" width.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts