Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did some searches to see if anyone has posted whether or not a 285 75 R16 tire will fit in the factory spare location underneath the vehicle. I found one thread that seemed to indicate that it will fit, but can anyone confirm? I'm looking at rear bumpers and would prefer to buy one without the tire carrier. I need a hitch so chances are that kills the chances of storing the bigger spare under the back once I buy the replacement bumper, but I'm curious whether one will even fit with the factory rear bumper? If so, I could at least carry the right size spare for the time being.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
As long as your aftermarket doesn't have the flush mounted receiver you should be able to still fit your 285 in the stock spare spot.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fantastic. Many thanks guys and once again his site proves to be the bomb (although my search skills seem to need some work). Thanks again.

·
Registered
321 Posts
...I need a hitch so chances are that kills the chances of storing the bigger spare under the back once I buy the replacement bumper, but I'm curious whether one will even fit with the factory rear bumper?
As noted in the linked thread, 33's will fit in the stock spare location -- with the stock bumper.

If your replacement bumper has its receiver inset, the tire might not fit. See post #34 of this thread. My OEM spare (the Pro-4x size) fits fine, and I suppose a 33 would, too. HPH

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I really appreciate the info - thanks everyone. The Maxterra is the one I like best so this is really helpful.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I did some searches to see if anyone has posted whether or not a 285 75 R16 tire will fit in the factory spare location underneath the vehicle. I found one thread that seemed to indicate that it will fit, but can anyone confirm? I'm looking at rear bumpers and would prefer to buy one without the tire carrier. I need a hitch so chances are that kills the chances of storing the bigger spare under the back once I buy the replacement bumper, but I'm curious whether one will even fit with the factory rear bumper? If so, I could at least carry the right size spare for the time being.
Reviving an old thread....Does your X have the factory installed hitch? I looked under there and it was already tight. Just curious if you have the factory hitch installed and the 285s fit. Have you done it yet?

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Reviving an old thread....Does your X have the factory installed hitch? I looked under there and it was already tight. Just curious if you have the factory hitch installed and the 285s fit. Have you done it yet?
I'm not the OP but I have a factory hitch with a 285/75R16 spare and it is snug but yes it does fit. Note that this spare I bought used at about 1/2 tread. It's a Hankook Dynapro ATM and it's a heavy sucker with the steel rim, weighing 86.5 pounds.

See also
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/69-brakes-tires-wheels/25922-285-75-16-spare-tire-well.html
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/69-brakes-tires-wheels/5316-does-285-75-16-fit-factory-spare-tire-location.html
http://www.thenewx.org/forum/23-exterior/42788-rear-hitch-33-spare-possible.html

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm not the OP but I have a factory hitch with a 285/75R16 spare and it is snug but yes it does fit. Note that this spare I bought used at about 1/2 tread. It's a Hankook Dynapro ATM and it's a heavy sucker with the steel rim, weighing 86.5 pounds.
86lbs Holy!! I was wondering if the steel rim used too. Looks like I'm good to go with the Duratrac 285s. Thank You!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts