Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my hitch I can’t fit a bigger tire under there. Chances are if I ever need it I won’t NEED to be in 4WD. How bad is it driving on it short term?

·
Registered
4,021 Posts
After blowing my 285 duratrac on elephant hill I drove about 1.5hrs back to town on the stock spare. It was fine, I just drove the speed limit. I'd just say to make sure your two back tires are the same size and have one of the fronts be the smaller one.

·
Registered
254 Posts
What type of hitch?
I have a 285 BFG under mine with a Curt hitch.
Same here. I was really surprised that the 285 fit in the stock spare spot under the truck and that the drop hitch didn't interfere. It's tight, bit it fits

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
another thing to consider is you could deflate the spare slightly to make it fit, just need to have a compressor on hand to fully inflate it before using.

alternatively, I wonder, if you had to run a smaller spare on a drive axle, would it make sense to lower the pressure in the larger tire to "Even it out"

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Put the smaller spare on the front when possible, if you have a long distance to go. Can deflate the opposite side a little to help balance out the diameters too.

·
Registered
696 Posts
My 285 KO2 fir under mine with stock hitch.

·
Premium Member
2005 Xterra 4wd 6MT 1.5" lift Heftyfab skids,Shrockworks diff guard,Hardcoreoffroad sliders
471 Posts
With my 285 treadwright guard dog I had to elongate the bumper and hitch mounting holes a little to push the bumper and hitch out to make it fit and that barely got me enough room. Stock bumper and hitch. My tires measure in at 33 3/8" tall.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
With my hitch I can’t fit a bigger tire under there. Chances are if I ever need it I won’t NEED to be in 4WD. How bad is it driving on it short term?
Have you tried putting one of your 33” tires up there?

Also there’s plenty of previous discussions about this, some good info and links to more here:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Put the smaller spare on the front when possible, if you have a long distance to go. Can deflate the opposite side a little to help balance out the diameters too.
The tire doesn’t stretch or contract based on useable air pressures. It simply deforms and slightly changed shape while retaining the same overall diameters

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
The tire doesn’t stretch or contract based on useable air pressures. It simply deforms and slightly changed shape while retaining the same overall diameters
Lowering tire pressure reduces the distance from the axle center to the ground, which changes whats called "effective rolling radius" or "rolling circumference".

This explains it far better than I ever could, if interested :)

·
Registered
2,978 Posts

Disagree, it deforms( compresses) more under the weight of the vehicle when the pressure is lowered.

·
on line
7,145 Posts
Just get a cheap 33" tire. It fits

·
Registered
6 inch suspension lift with 33" tires and ShockWorks front bumper, sliders, and skid plates.s.
318 Posts
I have Nitto Trail Grappler M/T (285/70R17 - “33 inch”) on Method 301 (17x8.5) rims with a trailer hitch and the spare fits. It fell down the first time I placed it. I then put more effort into it and it has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
36 Posts
You’re completely overthinking this. Yes, the rotational velocity will be offset somewhat but if you’re worried about the differential just imagine the different speeds of the wheels when you’re offroad. I stuff for 285 up there and your 265s will be just fine for a spare. I blew the sidewall of my tire on the Escalante Grand Staircase in Utah and drove all the way to Phoenix with a smaller spare no problems. 500 miles.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts