Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
589 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
LOL...I was joking guys. Realistically I get about 13-14 with all the mods on a good day; just having fun with all the super high MPG guys :drunken:

·
on line
1,114 Posts
PonyBoy said:
Damn it. I just realized I can't take advantage of this increase in MPG. My tripmeter doesn't work :(
I'm going to get serious about getting my ODO and Speedo working again, Jordan. I'll let you know how it goes.

ETA - July "ish"

·
on line
576 Posts
8th Man said:
PonyBoy said:
Damn it. I just realized I can't take advantage of this increase in MPG. My tripmeter doesn't work :(
I'm going to get serious about getting my ODO and Speedo working again, Jordan. I'll let you know how it goes.

ETA - July "ish"
Awesome! I really would like to know if you can find a fix.

·
on line
641 Posts
PonyBoy said:
8th Man said:
PonyBoy said:

ETA - July "ish"
Have you heard about this:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ategory_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd126.htm

I asked them if it would work on our Xs and this was their answer:

"It should work as long as the ECM is not getting a secondary speed input
from the ABS system."

Here's a review/how-to on a taco:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tacoma_speedometer/

·
on line
576 Posts
Well, we would probably need that. However, it still needs a reading to calibrate. Steve and myself don't have a tone ring for the speed sensors to read. The first step would be to find a way to add a tone ring. If we are able to get our speed sensors to get a reading, then we would use something like this to get an accurate speed.

·
TNX Administrator
20,248 Posts
Offroad said:
PonyBoy said:
8th Man said:
PonyBoy said:

ETA - July "ish"
Have you heard about this:

http://www.dakotadigital.com/index....ategory_id=-1/home_id=-1/mode=prod/prd126.htm

I asked them if it would work on our Xs and this was their answer:

"It should work as long as the ECM is not getting a secondary speed input
from the ABS system."

Here's a review/how-to on a taco:

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/tacoma_speedometer/
For what it's worth, when my ABS Control Unit wasn't working, my Speedo & ODO also didn't work and when the unit was replaced it fixed both of them along with some other problems.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
PonyBoy said:
Steve and myself don't have a tone ring for the speed sensors to read. The first step would be to find a way to add a tone ring.
Jordan

It is actually a "Ring Tone" and you can just download one from the internet... :geek:

·
on line
576 Posts
RogueClimber said:
PonyBoy said:
Steve and myself don't have a tone ring for the speed sensors to read. The first step would be to find a way to add a tone ring.
Jordan

It is actually a "Ring Tone" and you can just download one from the internet... :geek:
I was looking for the slap smilie, but didn't see one. You still get this though, *slap*

·
on line
641 Posts
PonyBoy said:
Well, we would probably need that. However, it still needs a reading to calibrate. Steve and myself don't have a tone ring for the speed sensors to read. The first step would be to find a way to add a tone ring. If we are able to get our speed sensors to get a reading, then we would use something like this to get an accurate speed.
So the ECU gets speed readings from the ABS sensors and the T/C, or just the ABS.

I'm asking this because when the new R&P gears come out, how changing them would affect the speedo and other speed related systems?

If the ECU only gets the readings from the ABS, then no calibration is needed, but if them gets them from both the ABS sensors and the T/C then the VDC, ABLS and ABS systems will get crazy unless we calibrate the T/C reading.

·
on line
576 Posts
Offroad said:
PonyBoy said:
So the ECU gets speed readings from the ABS sensors and the T/C, or just the ABS.

I'm asking this because when the new R&P gears come out, how changing them would affect the speedo and other speed related systems?

If the ECU only gets the readings from the ABS, then no calibration is needed, but if them gets them from both the ABS sensors and the T/C then the VDC, ABLS and ABS systems will get crazy unless we calibrate the T/C reading.
Nope, it gets no reading from the T/C. Its gets it straight from the wheels.

·
on line
1,884 Posts
PonyBoy said:
RogueClimber said:
PonyBoy said:
Jordan

I was looking for the slap smilie, but didn't see one. You still get this though, *slap*
This good enough?

·
on line
641 Posts
PonyBoy said:
Offroad said:
PonyBoy said:

Nope, it gets no reading from the T/C. Its gets it straight from the wheels.
Well, that's too bad if you SAS your X. They were moding a JK X (the one with a front D30) at Xtreme 4X4, and they couldn't find an aftermartet axle with speed sensors, so they went with a D44 from the Rubicon.

On the other hand, that's good news if you're planning on changing diff gears but keepping your stock axles.

·
on line
355 Posts
i drove my 2006 really soft for a few days and got up to an average of 17.8mpg.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts