Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
on line
2,876 Posts
If you are mechanically inclined why not do most of it yourself?

I am a computer it guy by day and I can do the following and will do the following so I can save some green:

diffs
xfer case
oil
all the checks they do.

I might have a shop do the radiator flush only because of all the mess. The tranny I might let sit till 60k or might just drain and refill with no flush....

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: This is what Mr. Nissan says to do !!!

--

--Plus whatever--

-- :geek: :geek: --JIMBO

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Well, I've heard charges from $150 to $450, depending on the EXTENT of service that you agree to--

--I'm sorry I can't give you an example, I just don't have the dealer do any of my services--

--Of course, that will change, if anything ever fails/falters, but so far --it's OK--Good luck !!

·
on line
155 Posts
I just picked up my X today from getting the 30K. I got the premium maintenance and switched all the fluids to NEO Synthetic for $276. WOW! What a difference the synthetic gear oils make on the drivetrain. The shifting is sooo much smoother.

·
on line
1,891 Posts
Dealer wanted $550 for my 30k, so I just did it myself before I left for my deployment for way less then then $150 for all the fluids and random stuff I changed out.

·
on line
707 Posts
I did my own changes also. I haven't been overly impressed with the dealers close to me so it was just easier and cheaper to do it myself. Plus it was a good learning experience and I know what fluids went where and how much. I also switched everything to synthetic(Royal Purple/Mobile 1).

Just make sure to keep those reciepts and you should be fine for warranty.

·
on line
13 Posts
Has anyone tried synthetic in the 5 spd auto.?

Also, are you all talking about putting synthetic in the diff. and transfer case as well?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: All the X's come with syn in the rear diff. anyway--

--At least in '06--

-- :geek: :geek: -JIMBO

·
on line
129 Posts
I just got mine back from getting the 30k service at the dealer. My broether in law is a master tech there so he always does my services, with a disocunt. My question is, if you do the service yourself and you have to some repair done, can't they deny your warranty for not having the required mx done?

·
on line
1,864 Posts
:clown: Cowboy, we've heard a lot about Dealers, so it probably depends on each situation--

--Probably, on how stock your suspension/engine is and how LOUD you yell !!!

--I haven't had any dealings with Nissan, so I don't know, my dealer fights, were wirh Chrystler 30 yrs ago and I didn't lose then !!

·
on line
707 Posts
cowboy119 said:
I just got mine back from getting the 30k service at the dealer. My broether in law is a master tech there so he always does my services, with a disocunt. My question is, if you do the service yourself and you have to some repair done, can't they deny your warranty for not having the required mx done?
I was told that as long as I kept my receipts and a log of the date mileage and what I did I would be fine for warranty. Just like changing your own oil.

·
on line
13 Posts
A couple questions:

Is this a 30K or mile service requirement?

Does it need to be done at 24 months even it you haven't reached the 30 mark?

thanks

·
on line
2,876 Posts
HRUDU said:
might just drain and refill with no flush
whats the different?

This is what Mr. Nissan says to do !!!
OK Thats what I want too!
So how much should I shove in Mr. Nissan's pocket?

Any idea?

To drain you just undo the drain plug and count the drops. Put the same amount back in. A flush is a whole different animal...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts