Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That’s just amazing! Any major issues along the way..differentials, transfer case, timing chain?
Thanks. Replaced the catalytic converter somewhere around 200k miles as well as the timing chain. No other major issues (i.e. I don’t ever recall spendings more than $100 on a random maintenance item). I did proactively address the SMOD issue when I first learned of it. She spent the first 3 years in PA so has some under body rust from the snow. Then 9 years in Texas and then in CO since 2018. The fake aftermarket hood scoops that the dealer installed are starting to show some paint fade but the rest is fine.

·
Registered
3,624 Posts
man, thats really cool! and I thought mine was getting a bit 'long in the tooth at 175k! just did a bunch of fluids and PM so hopefully it will keep running for me a good long time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wondering, how much of it are off-road miles?
I would guess approximately 10% of the miles are off-road but 40% of engine running time. While the purpose 50% of the trips are off-road and 50% on road the last few years, from a mileage perspective, we may spend all day on a trail and only cover 15 miles but pre-pandemic I’d drive 45 miles one way down the mountain to work or 45 miles from the suburbs to downtown Dallas. Working from home I typically just drive her to the trail head (highway miles) and then off-road for the day.

a high level breakdown would be:
2006-2009 2-4 days a month of off-roading in PA
2009-2018 2-4 days a month of off-roading in TX
2018 - Present 10-15 days a month of off-roading

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would guess approximately 10% of the miles are off-road but 40% of engine running time. While the purpose 50% of the trips are off-road and 50% on road the last few years, from a mileage perspective, we may spend all day on a trail and only cover 15 miles but pre-pandemic I’d drive 45 miles one way down the mountain to work or 45 miles from the suburbs to downtown Dallas. Working from home I typically just drive her to the trail head (highway miles) and then off-road for the day.

a high level breakdown would be:
2006-2009 2-4 days a month of off-roading in PA
2009-2018 2-4 days a month of off-roading in TX
2018 - Present 10-15 days a month of off-roading
Oh nice, hopefully I could get that much on my mine. Thanks

·
Registered
216 Posts
Thank you for giving the rest of us hope! I am the original owner of mine, 2007 with 261,000 miles. I have replaced my timing chain at 100,000, valve covers around 170.000. The starter started getting flakey a few months ago so I broke down and had it rebuilt at a shop in Dallas. That is it. Transfer case, both axles, the engine and transmission are untouched otherwise. OH, I did replace the output shaft seal on the transmission and transfer cases due to oil seeping but it was very very minor.

Reactions: Greg Azar

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you for giving the rest of us hope! I am the original owner of mine, 2007 with 261,000 miles. I have replaced my timing chain at 100,000, valve covers around 170.000. The starter started getting flakey a few months ago so I broke down and had it rebuilt at a shop in Dallas. That is it. Transfer case, both axles, the engine and transmission are untouched otherwise. OH, I did replace the output shaft seal on the transmission and transfer cases due to oil seeping but it was very very minor.
Nice! I was in Dallas from 2009-2018. Had lots of fun at Bridgeport, OK and AR. If you get the chance to spend a few days exploring CO during the summer, don’t hesitate. I started to let the higher miles impact my thinking with regards to road trips after I hit 150k but I’m glad I didn’t let that hold me back for long. I’m sure at some point I’ll drive my last mile but as long as we keep the maintenance up we should have plenty of life left. I’m sure you’ll have some great trip during your next 100,000 miles!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Nice! I was in Dallas from 2009-2018. Had lots of fun at Bridgeport, OK and AR. If you get the chance to spend a few days exploring CO during the summer, don’t hesitate. I started to let the higher miles impact my thinking with regards to road trips after I hit 150k but I’m glad I didn’t let that hold me back for long. I’m sure at some point I’ll drive my last mile but as long as we keep the maintenance up we should have plenty of life left. I’m sure you’ll have some great trip during your next 100,000 miles!
We actually just moved back to Dallas after living close to Durango CO for 3 years. We spent as much time in Silverton and on the trails there in our Xterra as possible. I admit, the last few years I've started to worry a bit about getting stranded and having to be towed off Engineer Pass or something like that. My fuel pump is original. Alternator. Axles, CV joints etc etc etc. But every time we have gone to test drive a new vehicle, my wife and I panic on the test drive when we imagine what it would be like to buy the new vehicle and drive away leaving our Xterra behind. Our daughter was 4 when we bought the Xterra in 2007 so she grew up in it. We were national media storm chasers for 10 years and the Xterra was our chase vehicle. We transported victims, transported firefighters into areas when their trucks were too big to get in, used it as a cross band repeater to get radio traffic in and out (ham radio), pulled people out during ice storms, and of course it kept us from getting killed while chasing tornadoes and hurricanes. The memories of all the off roading. I had a massive heart attack 2 years ago, and it was in the Xterra that my wife rushed me to the hospital. It has been coast to coast and border to border. Thank you for the encouragement to see another 100,000 miles (at least). BTW, just today I bought 12 quarts of Matic S to do my 30,000 mile transmission fluid swap. Take care.

Reactions: Greg Azar

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We actually just moved back to Dallas after living close to Durango CO for 3 years. We spent as much time in Silverton and on the trails there in our Xterra as possible. I admit, the last few years I've started to worry a bit about getting stranded and having to be towed off Engineer Pass or something like that. My fuel pump is original. Alternator. Axles, CV joints etc etc etc. But every time we have gone to test drive a new vehicle, my wife and I panic on the test drive when we imagine what it would be like to buy the new vehicle and drive away leaving our Xterra behind. Our daughter was 4 when we bought the Xterra in 2007 so she grew up in it. We were national media storm chasers for 10 years and the Xterra was our chase vehicle. We transported victims, transported firefighters into areas when their trucks were too big to get in, used it as a cross band repeater to get radio traffic in and out (ham radio), pulled people out during ice storms, and of course it kept us from getting killed while chasing tornadoes and hurricanes. The memories of all the off roading. I had a massive heart attack 2 years ago, and it was in the Xterra that my wife rushed me to the hospital. It has been coast to coast and border to border. Thank you for the encouragement to see another 100,000 miles (at least). BTW, just today I bought 12 quarts of Matic S to do my 30,000 mile transmission fluid swap. Take care.
First and foremost, I’m glad you’re ok. Secondly, thanks for the service to your community. Looking forward to buying you a drink and hearing about some of these great stories at a meet in TX or CO at some point!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts