Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
on line
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening fellow X owners,

I just passed 30k in my '06 S AT 4WD, and when I got an oil change at the dealership [::read- bend you over and don't even give a reach-around::], they mentioned that I should schedule a time for the 30k service maintenance. When I inquired what all this was, they gave me a list that detailed the following (I'll just include the ones in question):

Inspect all Brakes, Flush Brake Fluid
Inspect PCV system
Battery Terminal Service, test battery, charging system & starter
Flush engine coolant system
Flush AT transmission fluid
Replace Radiator Cap
Throttle Chamber service - clean, lube shaft
4x4 Driveline fluid change, front/rear diff. & transfer case

This, plus an oil change, is estimated to cost $510.00 plus tax. I am in outside sales, so I put lots of highway miles on, with maybe 10% off-road driving.

So my question is, does that seem like a lot of maintenance to you, or is this the norm? I also was a bit sticker-shocked by that price, although I don't work on my X at all, so I guess if that's what it costs, I'm screwed... Please let me know your experiences at this mileage point, and what out of that list, is essential and what is the dealership ripping me off. Perhaps you fellow Minnesotans could chime in and let me know if there's a cheaper place to get this stuff done. I would really appreciate it!

Thanks,

John

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I'm going to stick in the Amsoil sever gear into the transfer case and the diffs. It last a lot longer and is suppose to be best thing for that. Tranny fluid is still ok at that miles. I think the price is a rip considering you can do that yourself. It's a lot of hype. Dealer wanted $79 to change In cabin microfilter, DIY in like 5 Min. But they are more likely to give you help if you have problem and they serviced it. But I don't think that you are going to have a problem. Keep the receipts for proof of service. I'm doing all that stuff myself. I did my 15K service, a lot of what they say they do is "Looking" Expensive looking eh? MC

·
on line
735 Posts
coolant change is more of a time / hours of operation thing IMO. I do coolant every 3 years and the brake fluid flush when the brakes are redone. Just save that for the 60k service. the rest of it is normal oil and inspection fluff.

I change my air filter when I feel it needs one and not to any schedule. strictly off road use should be done at every oil change, but otherwise 2 years or so.

driveline fluid should be fine for years and years unless you tow heavy all the time and/or have been underwater for more than a brief moment.

·
on line
1,361 Posts
yeah, I agree that seems very expensive and most can be done by yourself, or hell, take it to a mechanic you trust and they could do all that for half probably.

·
on line
1,320 Posts
Flush engine coolant system
Flush AT transmission fluid
These are both big ticket items pretty much anywhere you go... usually about $100-140each. In my experience anyway.
It's been discussed before about having things FLUSHED... IMO it's better to just drain and refill so you're not flushing someone elses used fluid through your engine leaving behind more metal particles than you had before.

The diffs can also add up when you have the dealer using OE brand synthetic stuff that's usually like $15-20 a QUART and then you realize you need over 6 qts to do both diffs... that adds up REAL quick.
As the other guys said... your diffs can probably go to 60k, no problem!

So, yes, I can see how the stealership comes up with those prices but a good local mech. can usually do it for about 2/3 that price.

·
on line
120 Posts
Just remember with diffs that they are not filtered and all those metal partilcles from the break-in just float around in your lube and wear the gears. Most diff wear occurs during the first 5000 miles or so...

·
on line
189 Posts
The dealer over here wants 425.00 plus tax for the 30000 service. I am trying to find time to do it myself, Also looking for an amsoil rep to se how much it would be if I bought everything I needed..

·
on line
109 Posts
You can go to the Amsoil site www.amsoil.com and register as a "Preffered Customer" for $20.00 a year and start buying at wholesale pricing... You will save atleast 20.00 over the year purchasing product...That`s all that I use!...PR...

·
on line
168 Posts
Read your Maintenance Guide. You don't need to do a tranny flush. According to Nissan, that is a 100K item. I will do it at 60K. All the rest of the stuff is pretty easy. I did my own at 30K. I am over 52K now and everything is fine.

·
on line
2,938 Posts
sleepyt said:
I just took mine in to get 30k service done. Quoted me at $255 for 30k service and alignment.
Wow for that price I would pay to have it done!

·
on line
92 Posts
Gunn Nissan in San Antonio.

I bought the X at Ancira, took it in for replacement of defective hitch, waited for 3 hours to have them tell me it wasn't on the recall list. I walked out there, pointed to the serial number and they said "oh..." I felt that since they couldn't even read and their customer service sucked the balls, I'd go somewhere else. Gunn's closer to where I live and work now anyways, and I have no complaints at all about them. Every time I've taken the X in at Gunn they've been great. Maybe it helps that my family has purchased 3 other nissans from them....

·
on line
612 Posts
I take it they are done with the renovations to that dealership. When I lived out there last year that dealership was a mess. I went to Gunn and it just so happened that I knew someone there and he hooked me up on all of my service. Ancira was a lot closer to the t-bars though.

·
on line
92 Posts
Not sure about the renovations at Ancira - I got my X over 2 years ago and they haven't even started yet. The last time I went there was summer of 2005.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts