Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just changed out all my fluids(Front ,rear diff,tc and eng oil) noticed metal on drain plug for front dif and TC case. The guy at the shop said that was normal and thats why they put magnetic drain plugs in. The amount on them wasn't great and it was real fine almost like a powder. Does this sound off to anyone?

The vehicle seems to drive nicer now though with fresh blood in it. I used all synthetic Amsoil products. Monday I'll go to the dealership and have them do a flush and fill on the transmission as even Amsoil recommends Nissans fluid only for the trans.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
You should not be getting any kind of metal shavings in anything. That's a sign of internal problems going on. That's the reason that they have started to put those kind of plugs in there. That way when you do go to drain the system and see that on the plug that indicates something wrong and needs to be checked because a lot of the time you don't see them since the fluid comes out at to fast of a rate to spot during the draining process.

If you had that done at the dealer then I would take it back and have them check it or see if it can be checked under warranty. I had a magnetic plug in my '66 Ford. The one thing that you should do is to have a lab perform an analysis click here to make sure that there still isn't any metal showing up and will tell you a lot about what's going on inside if the dealer won't do it. Trust me that's something that needs to be dealt with no and not later. If you have to spend the money for the analysis then I would recommend that you do it because it will save you a lot of money in repairs and headaches of not having a truck. That's assuming that the dealer doesn't do the work.

You can also find another company that will do the analysis maybe cheaper. That's the first one that I found. Good luck and keep us updated.

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I switched to Amsoil Severe Gear 75/90 in the front and 75/140 in Rear and used their ATF for the T/C as well as their filter and 5/30 in the engine. It may be just in my head but the truck seems to drive a lot easier now. The engine doesn't seem tobe working as hard at any givin speed. On another note themetal fuzz I pulled off my drain plugs appears to be normal. I've asked several people around here and showed it to them and they say it's normal especiall in the T/C case. I'm still going to bring up at the dealer so they can check it though.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Dag Dan! That analysis place is right there in Norfolk for you! Must be there because of the port.

Anyone else looking for that service, a lot of the truckstop oil change places do it on the spot while you wait. Same computer. Not sure if they can do up Trans fluid though.

I dusting of metal in the 1st change I was told by GM powertrain engineer:
"Bobynski" is not that big a deal. He said some particles come off the case and ew parts after so long. He also said be concerned if you see a lot of different colors. That's bad, and chunks. He said same thing about magnet in plug.

I think it's smart though to do an oil analysis of all fluid before the warranty gets too close to the end.

And this question. Anyone know the magic of the ATF for the X? If Amsoil won't even mess with it.... I might glow in the dark!

MC

·
on line
496 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was going to change the trans fluid myself but there seems to this dark aura surrounding it and cats yowl and their hair stands up when near it. :geek:

·
on line
3,484 Posts
dynamix said:
isnt the trans fluid good to like 100k or somthing? why change it?
Yea, that's what service Rep told me. DON'T touch that dial! He says it has a light that goes off if anything is wrong. He was pretty sure it's a bulletproof unit. And I think I saw a breather for it today. Along with the front diff.

MC

·
on line
112 Posts
USMC XTERRA said:
dynamix said:
isnt the trans fluid good to like 100k or somthing? why change it?
Yea, that's what service Rep told me. DON'T touch that dial! He says it has a light that goes off if anything is wrong. He was pretty sure it's a bulletproof unit. And I think I saw a breather for it today. Along with the front diff.

MC
Breather......MC why don't you post some info in the breather extension section. Many of us are patiently trying to figure out how to get those breathers extended in case of a H20 mishap.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
Breather......MC why don't you post some info in the breather extension section. Many of us are patiently trying to figure out how to get those breathers extended in case of a H20 mishap.[/quote]

Kind of a long post, but it's a done deal. No pictures.
MC

·
on line
168 Posts
I asked the same question some time ago and then did some further research. The diffs in the New Gen X's uses synthetics. Don't change the trans fluid. It is good for 100,000 and it is a synthetic. Castrol Synthetic Gear Oil claims to meet the Nissan trans fluid specification. I would recommend a synthetic, but whatever you do, make sure it meets or exceeds the manufacturers spec.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
xterra4me said:
I asked the same question some time ago and then did some further research. The diffs in the New Gen X's uses synthetics. Don't change the trans fluid. It is good for 100,000 and it is a synthetic. Castrol Synthetic Gear Oil claims to meet the Nissan trans fluid specification. I would recommend a synthetic, but whatever you do, make sure it meets or exceeds the manufacturers spec.
Now that's good info. I mean I wonder what we would do on a Sunday, Ya bash a line and it leaks 3 qts out. What do ya do, wait for the Nissan Wizzard Parts man to give you new fluid is a blank magical container with signs of magical dust all over it?

If it happens, Id just try the Castrol.

MC

·
on line
111 Posts
When I used to work at a shop, everything from 4Runners to GMC Sierras had nice layer of metallic powder around the drain plug of the TCs and rear diffs. I always assumed it was normal.

·
on line
295 Posts
If you see this in the oil plug you can always cut open the oil filter too.
See this alot in Cessnas.

·
on line
1,407 Posts
Re: amsoil

blogGreen88 said:
Are you talking about amsoil or something else?! Umm. There is a good page for amsoil perhaps!
Also,you can find some other content on it,such as flat screen or certificate or hotel rochester.
You can search on the homepage try some other keywords,no ads even.these page updated every day.Because of the huge database,it perhaps not very fast,if you don't like it,take it easy.
Ahhhhh spammer!!! :whax:

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Not no more.

·
on line
3,217 Posts
Re: 4x4 parts

blogGreen88 said:
This is a good talking about the 4x4 parts!!I learn a lot more about 4x4 parts here,I like it.
I search Yahoo for long time and find here.By the way I found some content on another website about it.Also,you can find some other on it,such as ftd flowers or webconference or heat sealing.
LOL!Good job and go on talking plz,boys :)
You have been banned and your account deleted. Please discontinue. Next step will be recording your ISP and notification of your ISP will be taken.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts