Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in the Harbor Freight floor jack. I had a couple of tech questions so I called Harbor Freight and learned there are no repair parts available for these jacks or any Harbor Freight jack I was told. The jack would see very little use however no parts concerns me. Yes, I know, for the price I guess you take your chances but I'm wondering If anyone has needed to repair a jack and how the issue was resolved. Thanks for your comments in advance.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts

·
on line
391 Posts
for the guys that have the 3 ton floor jack from HF. The max height says 18 1/4", is that high enough when you've got a lift?

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
for the guys that have the 3 ton floor jack from HF. The max height says 18 1/4", is that high enough when you've got a lift?
How much of a lift are we talking. TS?

I've used it on most Xterras up here in Mass RI and CT (stock to TS). Never had a problem with them.

Worst case, I use a 6x6x8" piece of wood to lift and secure with Jackstands. Just use common sense and slow jacking process. :eek:ccasion5:

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Buy the yellow and black 3-ton. The cup screws up and down allowing a much wider range. All the way down its low enough to go under my wife's little vw Cabrio, all the way up it gets my lifted x way up high.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
How much of a lift are we talking. TS?

I've used it on most Xterras up here in Mass RI and CT (stock to TS). Never had a problem with them.

Worst case, I use a 6x6x8" piece of wood to lift and secure with Jackstands. Just use common sense and slow jacking process. :eek:ccasion5:
:laughing3::laughing3::laughing3::laughing3:
HA!!!!!

2" spacer and 2"aal and I cannot lift both tires on the same side of my truck at the same time (for example, tire rotation). Otherwise I am ok. Maybe I need to start my slow jacking process in a different location.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
Buy the yellow and black 3-ton. The cup screws up and down allowing a much wider range. All the way down its low enough to go under my wife's little vw Cabrio, all the way up it gets my lifted x way up high.
Posted via Mobile Device
:laughing3::laughing3::laughing3::laughing3:
HA!!!!!

2" spacer and 2"aal and I cannot lift both tires on the same side of my truck at the same time (for example, tire rotation). Otherwise I am ok. Maybe I need to start my slow jacking process in a different location.
The yellow/black HF jack with the adjustable cup can easily lift both tires up on a lifted Xterra, here is a shot of mine doing just that:

Sears is having a nice presidents day sale that I saw in the Sunday paper.

The 3-ton jack is down to $90:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-service-jack/p-00950139000P?prdNo=2

Or you could get a set including a creeper & 2 jacks for $100:
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-ton-floor-jack-stands-and/p-00950188000P?prdNo=1
i would avoid that $100 set you are recommending, the jack itself is very small, and will not be able to reach the frame on a lifted Xterra. Furthermore, those 3-ton jack stands are too short. They barely reach the frame on a stock xterra, on their highest setting. For a lifted Xterra, you will want to have 6-ton jack stands. See my comparison pics for reference:

Here are photos of a 3-ton jackstand and a 6-ton jackstand in front of my X, which is has a 3" suspension lift . If you jack the X up, by the time the suspension strecthes and the tires come off the ground, the 3-ton jackstand is too short to reach the frame. Thus the 6-ton is a better fit.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
To clarify, I have the silver one that does not have the adjustable cup. I need a 4x4 block of wood.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Holy crap that's the 3 ton jack stands! Those things look tiny!

I use the 3-ton Sears jack on a stock suspension. It works fine, but I did opt for 4-ton jack stands instead. Mostly cause I can use them both on my wife's car as well. And the 3-ton jack is easy enough to move around (I had a 4-ton trolley and it was a pain to manuveur in the small spaces I have in the garage)

The yellow/black HF jack with the adjustable cup can easily lift both tires up on a lifted Xterra, here is a shot of mine doing just that:

i would avoid that $100 set you are recommending, the jack itself is very small, and will not be able to reach the frame on a lifted Xterra. Furthermore, those 3-ton jack stands are too short. They barely reach the frame on a stock xterra, on their highest setting. For a lifted Xterra, you will want to have 6-ton jack stands. See my comparison pics for reference:

Here are photos of a 3-ton jackstand and a 6-ton jackstand in front of my X, which is has a 3" suspension lift . If you jack the X up, by the time the suspension strecthes and the tires come off the ground, the 3-ton jackstand is too short to reach the frame. Thus the 6-ton is a better fit.

·
on line
4,196 Posts
There's some great info in this thread!

All I want to add is that I have a 3-ton Craftsman & the only issue I have with it is that it is has always been VERY hard to get it to lower gently. I will twist the handle slowly, gently, carefully, so I can ease it down, and just when I think it's about ready to start lowering, whoooosh & CLANK as it let's go all at once and rapidly dropping. I've lubed it often since new but this one annoying problem remains. I just am now ready for it to drop whenever I release it. I've heard others mention this same problem with the Craftsman 3-ton. Does the HF yellow/black lower in a gentle and controlled manner?

·
Registered
601 Posts
LOL literally just got done reading a article about Harbor Freight tools over on Glock Talk, there is probally a reason why there are no replacement parts for it.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
LOL literally just got done reading a article about Harbor Freight tools over on Glock Talk, there is probally a reason why there are no replacement parts for it.
As I've always seen it:

HF tools are great if you don't need precision work or one of those every once in a while tools. A toss away tool you usually buy for a single project, and if you get more projects out of it, even better.

IMO some of their stuff is great, like a set of jack stands or a breaker bar tool chest or even a hand held air grinder, but would I buy their drill presses... hell no. I've even purchased a metal chop saw for $60 and am still happy with it.

My HF jacks and stands hold up amazing and the silver one has such a nice and easy ability to lower your truck that you could finish a beer in the time it settles on its suspension.

On another note: they have the 4ton low pro jack for 99.99 right now. :eek:ccasion5:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts