Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

3.69 vs 4.10 and Driving on 33" Tires...

6K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  SledheadX 
#1 ·
I'm still in the weeds on researching a re-gear from my very aenemic 3.13 differential to a front R180, and rear M226

I think for the 33" tires I'm driving, a 3.69 ratio is better. I'd still feel some amount of boost in power - where going up to 4.10 is... too much ? Can that be right ?

Mr Bojangles had a 3.69 front differential that's now on my patio. I'm looking into a M226 w/ an air locker. Just still unsure of the re-gearing.

I'd like to hear feedback on those who've actually done this.

Regrets ? Whats would you do differently - if anything ?

#2 ·
I have 4.10's and 35s normally. In the winter, I have 4.10 and 33s. IMO the 4.10s and 33s are just a tad too tall for the highway. 70mph is around 3k RPM. My MPG is actually worse with the 33s than the 35s because of this (by like 0.5 MPG, but still).

However, the 4.10 and 33 are GREAT for offroad. I had that setup for about 4 months before I went to 35s, including one long road trip to California. Again, the highway was "ok". You weren't lacking for power at all. TBH it drove normally, it's just that staring at 3k RPM for 6 hours while cruising is not ideal to me.

The 4.10 and 35s are probably pretty comparable to the 3.69 and 33s, and I think that is the best compromise between highway driving and offroad. If you don't plan to ever go up to 35s, then I'd say stick with 3.69. I will say, I think regearing was one of the single best mods you can do for your Xterra.

PS: The manual PRO-4x trim is 3.69. So if you find an M226, you will not have to regear AND it will have a locker already in it. That will save you a ton of money. Problem is they are hard to come by.

PPS: You can drive my truck this winter if you wanna try it out

#4 ·
What about going from 3.36 to 3.69 with 33's. How noticable would that be?

Mpg difference? Or just acceleration?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I went from the 3.36 to 3.69 on 33" KO2. Mileage was maybe a hair better, but the truck came back to life. It was really sluggish with those heavy tires and gearing. Performance was a noticeable change.

Keep in mind, this was an auto. I think if you have a manual, you should be looking at 4.10s.

#5 ·
I'm still in the weeds on researching a re-gear from my very aenemic 3.13 differential to a front R180, and rear M226

I think for the 33" tires I'm driving, a 3.69 ratio is better. I'd still feel some amount of boost in power - where going up to 4.10 is... too much ? Can that be right ?

Mr Bojangles had a 3.69 front differential that's now on my patio. I'm looking into a M226 w/ an air locker. Just still unsure of the re-gearing.

I'd like to hear feedback on those who've actually done this.

Regrets ? Whats would you do differently - if anything ?
I'm assuming you're an auto, but I have an auto with 3.69 gears and 33" tires. KO2s, specifically. I'm pretty pleased with the 3.69s. If I were going to go up to 35", I'd want 4.10s.

3.69 and 33" is just right, IMO.

#7 ·
Even though you have taller gearing, that doesn't necessarily mean your MPG will go down. I think as long as you don't go too tall, it actually goes up as your not lugging the engine as much.

@BlackbirdSR71 where you will notice it the most is on mountain passes. No more hovering between 3rd & 4th gear trying to get to Snoqualmie

#10 ·
BTW @IM1RU, I know we always disagree on this, and I think I can finally shed some light why :)

With my 4.10s and 35s, I went to CO in mid-July. Loaded with me, my girlfriend, 2 weeks of camping gear, & two mountain bikes, the X was pretty stuffed. I drove through Durango, Telluride --> Imogen --> Ouray, past Gunnison, over pikes peak, & finally up into the Rockies & out through Denver.

I will definitely say that the elevation makes a HUGE difference. Man I the X was struggling, especially on the pass near Pike's Peak (I don't remember the name). I could have it FLOORED and I would barely maintain 55mph on a slight uphill. This was not my experience when leaving town and driving mountains back in WA (lower elevations) or when driving through some of the passes in Idaho.

So I can finally say, I'd agree with 4.10s and 33's if you live in a high-elevation state like UT or CO. If you are at lower elevations, I think you could probably get away with 3.69 if that is the experience you want.

#15 ·
The R180 is 3.69 gears for the 6 spd manual 2nd gens. Were they thinking the M205 making that statement? That one has no option for 3.69. I can’t upgrade to the M205 for TS unless I change to another ratio (4.10 typically). Closest is 3.73 and is borderline within safety margin for mismatched ratios I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.