Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have an '05 Off Road Automatic with over 200K on the clock. The motor is dead. I also have a '02 Pathfinder with just a tick over 100k that runs great with an automatic, but the strut towers are rotted out. I guess you can see where this is heading. What I would like to know is if anyone else has tried to go backwards with the motors, or is this a stupid idea??? I have the garage and the tools, just wondering if it is a practical swap.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
you'd be better off rebuilding the VQ40. the VG33 is a good motor, but the electronics in the 2nd gen X is going to give you nightmares if you try to swap in the older motor.

can it be done? yes
would it be cool to see it done? i think so
would it work? anything is possible
would it be worth the cost to do it? for 99% of us no

i think that JWT builds the VG33 for sandrail applications and they can flash the ECM to omit all the other controls and just control the engine. then you'd have to find away around all the 05 xterra's systems to work in harmony with the VG's ECM.

you also would have to either adapt the VQ's drive by wire system to the VG, or convert your Xterra to a cable accuated accelerator pedal.

i say go for it if you want a project, but if you want to get the X going again a engine rebuild or swapping in another VQ40 long block will be the quickest, easiest, cheepest alternative.

T

·
Registered
6,026 Posts
The 3.5l is a VQ engine.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
And he is referring to the 3.3L which is not a VQ engine...

Although you are normally very correct, I have owned multiple nissan's including the 350Z; there are a ton of different VQ engines that they have made for years... And IK I went to a better college than this, but I'm going to post a wikipedia link for a source:/
"The VQ series engine was honored by Ward's 10 Best Engines list almost every year from the list's inception."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_VQ_engine

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
if it's the VQ35 instead of the VG33 engine then you'll have fewer issues, but will still have to fight through the ECM issues UpRev or JWT should be able to help with most of those program issues though.

T

·
on line
10,980 Posts
Haven't heard of it being done ... and I can see why these guys are saying what they are, but I'll temper it slightly.

I can pretty wholeheartedly agree that it isn't something I can see suggesting to set out and achieve with a project started from scratch ... there are other motors that I would swap before either the 3.3L or 3.5L from the previous gen Pathys. However, if the VQ40 in the X is dead-dead (and not just mostly-dead) and you need a motor anyway, and the chassis of the Pathy is dead-dead ... well, then you'd be saving yourself the cost of whatever motor you'd choose to put in instead.

I see a few options:
- Fix/rebuild the VQ40, scrap the Pathy to recoup some of the cost
- Fix the coil buckets on the Pathy (these might be of some help, there), scrap/sell the X to recoup some cost
- Combine both vehicles to get one running one, scrap/sell what's left
- Scrap/sell both and use proceeds to get yourself a good runner

... do a quick (but honest, realistic & thorough) analysis for each one, and it should turn up a fairly clear path forward - and there's nothing wrong with including a 'because I can/want to' quotient in the analysis.

ETA: I composed this before 5l33p3r posted his thoughts on the swap, and I agree with him regarding the complexity. It may not be the slam-dunk that you think it is ... be sure you understand what you're getting into as you assess what it will be, as a project.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. My bad the '02 Pathy is a 3.5, my '96 is a 3.3... I will look into rebuilding the 4.0... It has just been a pain, not like my 3.3 that just needs the oil changed and plugs one in awhile. I really don't know how bad it is inside, the timing chain broke.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
Way too much work in the end you have a slower motor if your talking about the 3.3. Source out a 4.0 or go 5.6 swap if you have deep pockets and all the time in the world . The 3.5 is in the same motor family and some parts can be swapped over but again not worth it. What is wrong with your motor now ?

·
on line
1,340 Posts
yeah the 02 pathfinders had a 3.5.
i use to have one back in high school, very good engine. But i'm not sure if it would match up to your ECM

·
Registered
434 Posts
The timing chain broke in the 4.0? Wow. Look into a used long block with low miles. That will be your best bet. Or.......

take the 3.5 and make a 900hp sleeper.

·
on line
951 Posts
Broken timing chain will mean pistons in at least 2 cylinders, valves and maybe heads. Not as much work as one would think, but there is the time factor involved in doing things right. If it was me I would pull the motor, strip it down to a bare block and send the block and crank to a shop and have them checked. After that, new pistons where needed, rings all the way around, head work to fix the bent valves, then reassembly and installation. Then comes the fun of breaking in a new motor. It's not like buying a new truck and driving it, you have to do certain procedures to seat the rings, plus retorque the head bolts, some of which are difficult to get to. Figure 3 weeks to get all this done, and that's if you are not working a 60 hour a week job.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Broken timing chain will mean pistons in at least 2 cylinders, valves and maybe heads. Not as much work as one would think, but there is the time factor involved in doing things right. If it was me I would pull the motor, strip it down to a bare block and send the block and crank to a shop and have them checked. After that, new pistons where needed, rings all the way around, head work to fix the bent valves, then reassembly and installation. Then comes the fun of breaking in a new motor. It's not like buying a new truck and driving it, you have to do certain procedures to seat the rings, plus retorque the head bolts, some of which are difficult to get to. Figure 3 weeks to get all this done, and that's if you are not working a 60 hour a week job.
If he has the time and the ability, rebuilding it himself might not be such a bad idea.
I also found a remanufactured long block on the O'Reilly website but it's spendy.

EDIT: Found it cheaper on this site but I don't know how reputable it is.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts