Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bone stock X....you have $3,000 to make it fun! I'm trying to get a good grasp on what are some good mods to go with here pretty soon...

Heres what I've come up with so far:

$100 cb / antenna (cobra)
$385 3.5 inch lift (shackle / spacer / camber kit)
$162 rola rack
$65 tail light guards
$595 winch mount (RockyMntX)
$300 winch (harbor freight)
$25 tree saver strap (4wheelparts)
$75 rear recovery brackets/D rings (RockyMntX)
$1215 wheels/ tires (285's + level 8 wheels discounttire)
$50 hi lift jack (harbor freight)
$50 off road lights 2x (harbor freight)
--- total $3022

Am I on the right track?

I'm planning on eventually upgrading from step bars to sliders and a rear tire carrier with a Gobi ladder.... but that can wait for now...

the vehicle is a DD with weekend mountain trails / occasional trip to MOAB

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Heres what I've come up with so far:

$100 cb / antenna (cobra)

$385 3.5 inch lift (shackle / spacer / camber kit)

$162 rola rack

$65 tail light guards

$595 winch mount (RockyMntX)

$300 winch (harbor freight)

$25 tree saver strap (4wheelparts)

$75 rear recovery brackets/D rings (RockyMntX)

$1215 wheels/ tires (285's + level 8 wheels discounttire)

$50 hi lift jack (harbor freight)

$50 off road lights 2x (harbor freight)

--- total $3022

Am I on the right track?

You may want to shift your attention to sliders and undercarriage protection depending on the type of trails you are planning to hit in MOAB

I would ditch the rear light guards and rola rack for protection otherwise I would go with DepHep roof rack.

I dont know anything about winches, so I dont know how good the HF ones are.

With 3.5 inch lift you are going to experience coil bucket contact, you will need to invest in upper control arms.

But at the end its your build so you decide what to do with no or little regard to what we have to say.

Ramiro Munoz

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
615 Posts
a hi-lift should get you out of most situations, that your winch would, esp with experience. That being said, you'll need sliders to get the full use out of it.
Without armor in general, its likely that you will end your off road experience early due to damage, before you ever get to use your recovery gear. This isn't a reason to leave it on the shelf, but you don't want to be high- centered, dragging your armor less t-case on the ground, while winching over a crest. However, if your only play in the mud, I guess that's a different situation.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
the lift kit comes with UCAs
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271321845289

I've called them and spoken with them and they offer a 100% money back guarantee... so if i do not like it, I can return it for a full refund. but the associates seemed very knowledgeable and said that I should have no clearance / issues running the tire setup

and as far as harbor freight winches, I have personal experience with them and would recommend them to any / everyone. I've seen them outperform the Warn winches and the only time it failed was when we tried to winch a 12,000 diesel truck (the winch was rated for 9500lbs) and i took it back to HF and they replaced it for free because I bought extra the warranty.

but it seems the general consensus is to shoot for sliders and skids a lot sooner.... I am going to look into running them.... but wouldnt the running boards / nerf bars act as some sort of protection?

and I'm guessing the factory skids are crap if everyone is replacing them

but I am not the kind of person that decides what I want and ignores the opinions / advice from seasoned vets with these trucks... this is not my first offroad rig but this is my first X. I appreciate any / all advice given to me and it's all taken into consideration

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
A hilift is pretty useless if you dont have sliders or aftermarket bumpers. Unless you get the tire strap.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
A hilift is pretty useless if you dont have sliders or aftermarket bumpers. Unless you get the tire strap.
Posted via Mobile Device
yup. if you don't have hard point you can get under, that jack is pretty useless for lifting the X. Sliders are fairly cheap though. It's not ideal but you can use a Hi-lift with slider alone. That tire mount is ok as long as you don't need to remove that tire

·
on line
1,922 Posts
Look at all the crap you want. Decide what you want most and buy quality products. Unless you're just trying to make it look like you wheel it, but it's going to stay on pavement. When you buy cheap stuff you get cheap sh!t that breaks when you need it.

·
Banned
4,806 Posts
You don't need UCA's with what your talking about doing.. Call Nisstec and get a basic lift from them you'll be better off in the long run, I'd also focus on Sliders, and skids(you could even go with stock Nissan skids to start) just my .02 cents.

He absolutely would need UCAs with that lift. Anything over 2" is horrible without them.

·
Registered
1,743 Posts
He absolutely would need UCAs with that lift. Anything over 2" is horrible without them. Sent from AutoGuide.com App
My point was this, I ran an OME w/ a spacer on Stock UCA's and had no issues what so ever. Was it perfect No!! It was a starting point, Which is why I ended up doing an Ultimate extended Travel the right way on my 12' Pro 4X.. I think there are better options to look at. What it sounds like he's looking for a basic starting point if I'm wrong so be it.

After re-reading the entire eBay post and not scanning it like I did the first time with this kit he'll definitely need the UCA's..

·
Registered
2008 Xterra Off Road
1,708 Posts
No, factory nerf bars will not provide any protection. They are thin walled and will crumple under the first impact .

Heftys sliders have a built in step option if you want to keep a step.

Xoskel sliders also stick out enough to use as steps.

I am currently upgrading my skids but honestly, my stock skids have held up so far. I have been conscious of their thickness though and do not bash on them.

·
Registered
667 Posts
A friend has a 2010 S with the factory step bars. Took a peek and it looked like they were not mounted to the frame!? Could be a damage multiplying situation.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
With $3k, I would get front bumper, skids and sliders and if there's any left over, rear bumper w/ tire carrier.

·
on line
1,296 Posts
He absolutely would need UCAs with that lift. Anything over 2" is horrible without them.

I'd have to agree. You may not notice it but any lift over 2" and you are banging the coilbucket. Not even off road but big dips in the road,speed bumps etc. Forget About 3",you will almost be sitting on the coilbucket.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 20 of 21 Posts