Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
on line
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2wd xterra, and I was wondering if it was possible to put 4WD in it. I am moving from south Georgia to upstate NY.

Here is my Parts list:
Transfer case complete
Front Drive Shaft
front Axle Complete
Transfer case slector knob
Rear drive shaft is different length?

anything else?

how much will it cost? My other solutions are buy snow chains, or buy an suzuki samuri.

·
on line
2,459 Posts
I'm not so sure on the parts you'll need....

But where in NY you moving to?

·
on line
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am moving to Theresa, NY on Moon Lake

·
on line
2,459 Posts
You might as well be in Canada! And I see you signed up on our UNYX board, very cool. :)

When do you move?

·
on line
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will not trade in the X for a 2WD it would cost me almost 10k once all is said and done.

·
on line
3,272 Posts
x67934 said:
I will not trade in the X for a 2WD it would cost me almost 10k once all is said and done.
Do you mean to say you will not trade your X for a 4wd? If you plan to do the work yourself then I believe it can be done for about 6-8 grand in parts considering you have to locate the parts you need first. To have a shop do it would be almost double if not more.

I had a 2wd Dodge Ram and I inquired about it. They quoted me 15 to 20 grand.

·
on line
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I will be doing the work myself. If i buy the parts from courtesy parts it will only be 5k, but i plan on scouring junk yards for the parts i need. I really just want to know if someone can verify that it can be done.

If the transmissions is different, if the frame is different, if the computer is different, if the diffs are geared differently then i will not do it.

If it is jsut a matter of finding parts and turning wrenchs and it can be done for less the 5k I thinki will do it

·
on line
266 Posts
x67934 said:
I have a 2wd xterra, and I was wondering if it was possible to put 4WD in it. I am moving from south Georgia to upstate NY.

Here is my Parts list:
Transfer case complete
Front Drive Shaft
front Axle Complete
Transfer case slector knob
Rear drive shaft is different length?

anything else?

how much will it cost? My other solutions are buy snow chains, or buy an suzuki samuri.

well, i think chains are illegal in NY (might just be the county i live in), and a sammy will be damn drafty in the cold winter (even worse than a jeep)

as for the 4wd conversion..I'd at least wait until the warranty is up on your X before doing something that major. You're going to run into A LOT of headaches doing something like that and IMO the X does pretty good (for RWD)in 2WD in the snow up here.. I only have to use 4x4 when im in deep snow

Either way, Good luck, call me if you need a tow :geek:

·
on line
246 Posts
I know a Frontier guy did this, but I can't find the site. Also, it was the previous gen Frontier. Seeing as all of our lifts are the same 4wd and 2wd I would imagine that the frame and suspension are the same. If BoondoX hasn't sold all of his front suspension you might be able to source some parts from him. If you plan on lifting your X it might be easier to just buy a list and source the rest of the parts.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
It will be very hard to do in a 2nd gen. The problem is if you use a stock TC, it's all electronic and has many many many hooks into the computer. You also have to find all the parts, which is easier said then done.

You need, front diff, half shafts, front drive shaft, hubs, spindles, Transfer case (I think you will pretty much have to go with an after market case with a lever and get it to fit), My guess a new tranny, new rear drive shaft.

It would probably be cheaper to send it off and do a SAS with like an Atlas TC.

·
on line
641 Posts
Muzikman said:
It will be very hard to do in a 2nd gen. The problem is if you use a stock TC, it's all electronic and has many many many hooks into the computer. You also have to find all the parts, which is easier said then done.

You need, front diff, half shafts, front drive shaft, hubs, spindles, Transfer case (I think you will pretty much have to go with an after market case with a lever and get it to fit), My guess a new tranny, new rear drive shaft.

It would probably be cheaper to send it off and do a SAS with like an Atlas TC.
I talked to AA, Stak4x4 and a few others and no one makes (or plan to) a TC for the 2nd gen. The AA adapter for the Titan won't work on our trucks.

·
on line
3,484 Posts
I'm with a trade in, there is no way you can make it right and save time and money as compared to a trade in and buy what you need in this case. The electronics will be a major PITA and who knows if the BCM and PCM are even compatible, I seriously doubt it.

Your not going to loose as much as you think, and I'd do the deed down there as a 2WD is almost worthless in NY.

I done a few of these conversions in old days, it never goes as planned and it never works as good as one that was done from factory. And back then it was easy compared to what it would be now.

Convinced?
MC

·
on line
874 Posts
your better off trading it...trust me on this...I just did it myself.
I got my 05 X 2wd in Florida and moved to new hampshire 3 months later, drove the truck for 2 years up here with only a minor issue in the snow here and there, I came across a deal i could not pass up, found it on the inter net(just serach for xterra 4x4 price quote and click away) I pinned my local dealer against one that was about an hour away they finnaly gave in and said they would do it. my trade was an 05 S with 28000 miles on it, they gave me 13500 for it($2000 over what i owed) and got me in to an 07 x 4x4 sticker was $27,800 but i took it for $22,150
alot of the nissan dealers up in the north have 5-10 xterras that they need to get rid of before the 08 comes out, now is the time to buy....BTW my monthly pament did go up but not much, less than $30 more a month...

·
on line
358 Posts
I would say either trade for a 4wd or buy a good set of studless snows or studed snows. Do not buy a Sami to get you thru the winter. Samis can be great trail rigs but that is it, it's a trail rig.

·
on line
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
new solution i think will be to get a shrockworks bumper and winch. If i get stuck i will unstuck myself.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts