Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just saw a new Frontier with a 2.5L 4 banger? wow. I thought the frontier was identical to the Xterra except it had a bed. Didn't realize they had different powertrain options

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I dont think the pro4x 2wd ever came with a locker from factory. Considering you need to be in 4LO to use the locker why would they put it in a 2wd? And there never any factory logos that said pro2x. There is a guy on club frontier and here that has a 2wd nismo and it didnt come with a locker, I think his screen name is x_mods
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
in 2005 and maybe 2006, they had a 2wd offroad model xterra. but it didn't come with a locker. (thanks S&S)

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
It did not. The 2wd Off Road Xterra is open diff. 100% confirmed on this.
and there you have it! i'll modify my post so that the confusion doesn't spread

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Buying a 2WD pickup is like buying a sportster.. Expect your friend to make fun of you.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I know a few people who have other pickups (ford and chevy) that are 2wd with rear lockers. trucks with this set up are know as "farmers 4wd" out by me.

and the base frontier always came with a 4 cylinder.

·
on line
2,234 Posts
I owned an '08 2WD Nismo with a factory locking rear axle. They do exist. I think '09 was the last year for it. I needed more secure interior space so I traded for an Xterra. The good part is I got the 6-speed manual. The 2WD Nismo locker could only be had in the automatic transmission. I took that truck through some places that fully locked and built up 4WD rigs struggled at times.

Anyone who says they don't exist just isn't educated enough to know that they really did exist.

And the 2.5 I4 is the base engine for the Frontier. Only available in the 2WD king cab. Transmission options are 5-speed manual (not 6), and 5-speed automatic. Towing capacity is only 3500#. When you start checking option boxes like 4WD or crew cab you are forced into the V6.

·
on line
22,508 Posts
I owned an '08 2WD Nismo with a factory locking rear axle. They do exist. I think '09 was the last year for it. I needed more secure interior space so I traded for an Xterra. The good part is I got the 6-speed manual. The 2WD Nismo locker could only be had in the automatic transmission. I took that truck through some places that fully locked and built up 4WD rigs struggled at times.

Anyone who says they don't exist just isn't educated enough to know that they really did exist.

And the 2.5 I4 is the base engine for the Frontier. Only available in the 2WD king cab. Transmission options are 5-speed manual (not 6), and 5-speed automatic. Towing capacity is only 3500#. When you start checking option boxes like 4WD or crew cab you are forced into the V6.
No one said they didnt exist. I said the XTERRA 2wd off-roads did not have a locker. I said nothing about Frontiers.

·
on line
2,234 Posts
No one said they didnt exist. I said the XTERRA 2wd off-roads did not have a locker. I said nothing about Frontiers.
I never put your name in the conversation. You did that yourself. I was commenting only on the Frontiers, never once did I bring 2WD Xterras into the conversation. And true, 2WD Xterra never got a locker option.

·
Premium Member
9,791 Posts
i think S&S is seeing in your post that you didn't say frontier.
'08 2WD Nismo with a factory locking rear axle.
now, we all know that xterras haven't been labeled nismo's, but new people might not know that. Nissan had some really oddball setups early in both trucks' lifecycles.

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Looks like a cross breed between a lifted Frontier and a VW Beetle

1 - 18 of 18 Posts