Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Thread Subject Title: Building a Unicorn: 2015 Pro-4X 6MT

Username: Zanethan

Message Body: If anyone’s been following my old build and posts my 2011 X was totaled in June when a distracted driver rear ended me. (Old Build Thread: Zanethan’s Slow but Steady Build ). I went back and forth on a buy out or turning it over an ultimately decided that a new start was best due to the age and some rust issues on the frame. I briefly considered a new platform but Toyota’s and Jeeps are at least 50% higher for a model comparable to the Xterra so I decided to stick with the X. I searched high and low and eventually found this 2015 Pro-4X with the manual and 77k on the odometer. Majority of my build will initially be moving over/redoing my old mods. There are a few lessons from my old build that I will be changing but mostly going for a mild build that looks like it could be factory.

Xterra's Nickname: Alina

Make: Nissan
Year: 2015
Model: Xterra
Trim: P4X
Color: Silver

Mods:

Shrockworks Sliders [X]
Tow Hitch [X]
P&P Rear Recovery Points [X]
Doubled Up Factory Skids [X]
Custom Shift Knob [X]
Wet Okole Seat Covers [X]
PRG Diff Cover [X]
Rear Axle Breather [X]
EVAP Breather [X]
WAM Winch Mount [X]
Smittybuilt X20 10k Winch [X]
Ditch Lights [X]
CB Radio [ ]
Suspension [X]

Comments: First task was a baselining of the fluids. Replaced all dif fluids and the transfer case fluid with fresh fluids. I still need to do the transmission. Fluids looked old but nothing odd in them.

Photos:

How she looked at the dealer.

First Mods! Recovery points and trailer hitch with 7 pin connector.

Original diff cover was weeping (and rusting) so I picked up a PRG aluminum one. (Yes I realize it’s not the strongest on the market but it’ll suffice for my needs)

Phone mount and accessory bar added.

Sliders installed!

Shift Knob (in a fitting fashion the one I made for my 2011 split in half while I was removing all my old mods. Seemed appropriate as a stripped away a year and a half of work).

Smittybilt X2O winch installed with WAM hidden mount.

Small ~1.5” lift installed. I’m sure it will settle some but maybe not since it was on my old 2011.

Interior control panel and fuse panel installed (a while ago at this point. Oops)

Also added my off-road lights back. They’re cheap chinese specials but at least they aren’t knock offs!

Made my own axe and shovel mount. Mounts aren’t kept up for daily driving duties.

Did the raptor grill mod using 6mm amber LED bolts for funsies.

More to come as I move over my old stuff over time.

Most recent pics:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry to hear about the accident but nice find on the new X!

One of my first mods (dealer paid for actually) but getting custom Katzkin Leather seats put on. Something to consider, if you DIY around $1k or so! I never understood why they offered the Auto w/ leather but not the manual. So much easier to keep clean.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry to hear about the accident but nice find on the new X!

One of my first mods (dealer paid for actually) but getting custom Katzkin Leather seats put on. Something to consider, if you DIY around $1k or so! I never understood why they offered the Auto w/ leather but not the manual. So much easier to keep clean.
Thanks! I actually looked into Katzkin covers but decided on Wet Okole neoprene ones. They combine the lack of maintenance of cloth with the ease of cleaning of leather. They also have the added benefit of not scorching my behind in the summer. I got them in the new X but don’t have any pics yet. Here they are in my old one:

·
Registered
2013 Pro4X, 6MT
1,227 Posts
Nice looking truck! I'd put the roof light covers back on unless I was wheeling at night and needed them. Expensive to fix a rock hit. My 2 cents, and it's worth about that!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Nice truck! I've got a 2011 pro 4x 6 speed with about double the mileage but going strong....other than a nagging p0021 code that won't go away. I saw you're in Charlotte. I'm in Winston, so not to far away. It's awesome to see another 6mt out in the wild close to home. It's also my 2nd x. Used to have a first gen manual that was totaled on 77 on my way home from Charlotte about 5 years ago.

·
Registered
2009 Off Road 6 speed, 55,000 miles...
189 Posts
Winch installed! Still need to wire up my in cabin control panel but the hard stuff is done!

Looking real nice!

I'm looking to keep mine stock-ish, but if I were to get a winch, I would do exactly what you did...put it in the existing front bumper.

If you dont mind me asking, I see that its a Smittybilt. Would you mind saying which model? Also, how hard was it to install?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking real nice!

I'm looking to keep mine stock-ish, but if I were to get a winch, I would do exactly what you did...put it in the existing front bumper.

If you dont mind me asking, I see that its a Smittybilt. Would you mind saying which model? Also, how hard was it to install?
It’s the X2O 10k with synthetic line. Install isn’t too bad it took me 5 hours this time around. The hardest part is trimming the bumper since you have to trim a little then check fitment. Also finding a place to mount the remote box took a while the first time. Luckily I was able to just pull the entire thing off my previous X and plop it onto this one.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Installed my old lift (Bilstein 5100 set at 1.5”). Found out one (1!) of the stupid LCA bolts is seized. So I’ll have to chop that out to get my cam bolts in. For now I’m just going to run it as the camber shouldn’t be too far out of spec (if at all). Total front lift is right at 1.25” and rear is 0.5” with the helper springs. I’ll be going with a different lift down the road but for now this will suffice.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Got my lights on, switch panel in, and replaced the blank switch with a Bluesea USB charger. I was hoping it would blend a bit more but it’s central location doesn’t aggravate my ocd too much. Also replaced the toggle covers with custom ones from CH4X4. Winch controls are also wired up so I’m 90% back to where I was before the accident. Also added a few patches to the collection.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
X saved the day today. My wife and I went out to the beach and we’re going for a walk. Along the way ran into a situation where a Suburban essentially died and wouldn’t start with the tide coming in. His brother in law was attempting to tow the suburban to a safe spot in his 90s era F-150 single cab and bald tires. He made it part of the way but the bald tires and weight disadvantage became too much and the F-150 began to get stuck. I walked up and asked if they needed assistance and the said yes. When I told them what I was driving they gave me the side eye not thinking the X could pull them to higher ground. However, no one else on the beach (a lot of people BTW) seemed interested in assisting. Went and got the X threw in in low and locked the diff and pulled the two of them in a train well above the high tide line. When we were disconnecting the owner of the Suburban came up to me and said something to the effect of I’m impressed you got us out of there. I told him that everyone underestimates Xterra’s but that they’re one of the best rigs out there. Unfortunately, I didn’t grab and pictures of the train but the story is worth it for the simple fact that no one knows what the X is actually capable of.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
A few updates since the last post.

Made an ax and shovel mount using some truss clamps.

Picked up the knock off hood strut kit

Upgrade the lighting to LEDs. Went with the Nineo Gen II and yellow beam tech fogs.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Noticed a wobble a 70+ mph and narrowed it down to the u-joints so I went ahead and replaced them all as they were all showing signs of age. Was puppy sitting for my brother and sister in law so I had a good helper since our dogs don’t like being in the workshop.

Also decided to do the raptor grill mod. Used the 6mm Oznium LED bolts. Tapped into the parking lights (which wound up being a more difficult tasks than I anticipated lol)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Some small updates.

Swapped out my cheap lighting for Baja Designs on the winch mount and Diode Dynamics for the roof lights.

Ditched my axe and shovel mount for an improved design (pics needed). I also improved the mounting system for my homemade awning (pics also needed).

Installed custom camping lights. They are dim LED bolts hidden in the dome lights on a 2 switch circuit. Switches are on the b and d pillar so I can turn them on/off from sleeping or when getting in/out.

Had to rebuild my entire winch control box due to sh*tty wiring from Smittybilt. To be fair to Smittybilt, they did send everything but the winch under warranty to fix it but the crappy wiring still exists in the replacement.

Picked up a hatch tent for the next camping trip. It was cheap and isn’t the prettiest but having the extra leg room and ventilation will be nice.

Got to do some exploring out in the Croatan National forest this past weekend. Found a great camping spot right next to a saltwater creek.

Unfortunately, my exploring was the last straw for my front sway bar bushings and they’re clunking like a mother. New poly ones are on the way. Also have supplies gathered to spray my plastics with raptor liner.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i see you removed your rear sway bars, any reason for that
Sorry just seeing this, the rear sway bar is fairly pointless IMO. I don’t tow much and it limits articulation. I’ve not noticed it missing back there at all.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts