Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
on line
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found my '06 OR rear pinion seal leaking a couple weeks back. Probably caused by the rear diff breather being completely rusted shut. I cleaned it off and got it working again and brought the truck into the dealership. They confirmed that the rear pinion seal was in fact leaking and replaced it, although used a non OEM (but Nissan equivalent) crush washer so that I could get done while I waited (about 5 hours - dealership is far from home in an inconvenient location). Rear breather was also supposedly checked and now working.

Truck was driven less than 50km total this week, city driving. This afternoon I drive it maybe 6km. When I get out, I smell the hot diff fluid (probably sprayed up on the exhaust like last time). Come back in 2 hours, look underneath the truck and there's the puddle. Crawl underneath and sure enough the diff fluid leaking out in the same area as last time (it had been dry before today).

If the rear breather is supposedly working, and the trip was short, what could possibly cause the rear pinion seal to fail again? Maybe the breather isn't really working - it does pop up and down easily, but perhaps it is clogged inside? Improper seal installation? Supposedly the mechanic that worked on it last time had 25 years experience and had done hundreds of these pinion seal replacements. Can't believe that I have to take it back again.

Any suggestions to bring to the dealership/ask to have checked/something they may have missed the first time?

·
Registered
193 Posts
I guess I dont know why they pulled the crush washer to change the seal? Man these dealerships really get my bloodpressure going... they dont know **** about the vehicles they are supposed to know the most on. The seal is either the wrong one, or installed improperly. But yah if they told you they removed the crush washer they don't know what they are talking about. The crush washer is behind the pinion seal and most dealerships wont ever pull a pinion because they dont have the techs there that know how to set a pinion that has been removed back up to specs.

·
on line
8,599 Posts
I need to replace my pinion seal. It's been leaking for a while.
It's easy to do you self. Remove drive shaft, count the number of turns on the flange nut when removing it, then pry out old seal, and put in new with a brass hammer/punch.
Then reassemble and tighten the nut the same amount of turn. Add a 1/8-1/4 turn over the original number along with some lock tight! You'll be good.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
478 Posts
My pinion seal went out in a hurry and in a big way. No slow leak for me. Rear axle was replaced under warranty due to gear mesh issues anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
If it's Nissan dealership that did it the first time, it will be covered under labor and parts warranty which is like 6 months or something.
But sounds like you are still under factory warranty anyway.

When they did mine they said the flange was damaged and caused an improper seal and mine started a slow leak again 3 months later. All replaced under warranty. Could be they didn't clean up the area where the old seal was. They also may have overfilled your diff (which I think my dealership has a bad habit of doing).

Just replace the breather - it's like a $5 or $10 part.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts