Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
on line
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I kept the stock OR wheels for studded tires this winter. I have 2" of lift and plan on doing the melt mod. A lot of guys are running 285/75r16 but has anyone tried this size or does anyone think that it won't fit? I've heard that this is a good MT and it is pinned for studs. I don't mind being the guinea pig, i just don't want to loose money if someone knows that it's too tall for the frame or too wide for the OR Wheels.

http://www.hankooktireusa.com/product/tire_detail.asp?pid=358

Thanks

·
on line
2,248 Posts
I'd be willing to bet you could get away with it. According to Hankook's website the overall diameter of the tire is 33.6" (compared to an even 33" for the 285/75). That means you're going to be pushing an extra .3" into the plastic inner fender. The melt mod should take care of it, as long as you really push it back. Things will be tight in there though. Chains probably won't be an option, if you even care about that.

I'm assuming that the OEM OR wheel is 7.5 inches wide. It should fit on there. According to the Hankook specs sheet, the tire section width is the same as the 285/75.

I heard that there were a few tire shops that were refusing to mount 285/75s on OEM wheels, because the manufacturers usually called for at least an 8 inch rim. However, a lot of guys (myself included) have run on the OEM wheels without any problems.

·
on line
15,651 Posts
Stock OR wheel is 7" wide.

You also have to remember that those are 12.50" wide, which will make a big difference as well when turning and stuffing. I am pretty sure you will need to trim metal, but do not know that for sure. I just know that my 285/75R16's rub on the frame at full lock in the front and rub on the frame at full stuff in the rear (it's even worse when aired down).

·
on line
1,284 Posts
I'm running 295/75/r16's Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine. There was was quite a bit of rubbing when I had only a 3 inch lift. But after I got a 3" body lift on top of that it pretty much solved the rubbing problem.

·
on line
2,248 Posts
Muzikman said:
Stock OR wheel is 7" wide.
Thanks for correcting me.

Muzikman said:
You also have to remember that those are 12.50" wide, which will make a big difference as well when turning and stuffing.
Ummm.... not quite. As indicated in my first response, the section width on the tires is the same as the 285/75/16, which according to the Hankook specs sheet, is 11.60" wide. The tread width is .4 inches wider than the 285s, however.

With most tire manufacturers the metric equivalent of a 12.50" wide tire is a 315 (315 mm = 12.4015748 inches).

·
on line
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Xterror said:
I'm running 295/75/r16's Nitto Terra Grapplers on mine. There was was quite a bit of rubbing when I had only a 3 inch lift. But after I got a 3" body lift on top of that it pretty much solved the rubbing problem.
What wheels do you have? Was the rubbing on the frame or on the plastic or inner fender? I don't mind trimming the fender a little beyond the melt mod... but if it rubs the frame more than full crank then 285's for me or even 255/85's. I'm looking at the Dynapro MT because I can have it studded for trips to the mountain and an MT will be great for winter wheeling. So if this tire is too wide for the rims I probably can't expect the studs to touch the road unless I run low pressure since the studs are on the shoulders of the tire. It does come in all three of these sizes. Maybe the 255/85 is better for the snow and the 295 is better for the trail...just thinking out loud.

·
on line
1,284 Posts
I'm just running stock wheels. The rubbing was just on the plastic liner. I would post a picture but I forgot how. I think my tires measured 33.6"

·
on line
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Xterror said:
I'm just running stock wheels. The rubbing was just on the plastic liner. I would post a picture but I forgot how. I think my tires measured 33.6"
In the picture your tires look like toyo AT's. Is that correct? Also how much lift and what type did you have before the 3" body lift? That way I can compare the height and width to the hankook tires and find out how close they are in size. Thanks dude

1 - 15 of 15 Posts