Second Generation Nissan Xterra Forums banner

285/75 vs 265/75 pics

19K views 24 replies 19 participants last post by  FrankB 
#1 ·
Im going to be getting new tires sometime this summer, and i cant decide which size i want to go with (285/75 or 265/75) the only reason i would get the 285's is if they looked that much better. an extra half inch of ground clearance isnt really of concern to me.

Does anyone have a picture of an X with 285's next to an X with 265's? i'd like to see what the difference looks like.

#3 ·
i know we can run the 285's with a small mod w/no rubbing but how does it handle off road??? i mean do they rub any on bumps mud holes stuff like?? and sorry ahead of time if this was discussed on another thread!!! :toothy10:

#8 ·
my point is...most people when they switch tires aren't going with a P265/75R16 (stock on the OR) but to LT265/75R16....

meaning even if your stock is 265...and you to go to another 265...you'll loose mileage.

maybe not as much as with a 285, i'll buy that...but people who keep touting that the difference between the 265 and 285 is a HUGE bother me.

#16 ·
Not that you would notice much loss, but remember, since the new tires are 1.5" or so bigger diameter, at 75mph on your speedo, you're probably going about 78mph (since speedos count wheel revs, and it now takes less revs to go a mile). Therefore, when your odometer says you've gone 300 miles on a tank of gas, you've actually gone, say, 312 miles.

The margin of error in calculating mpg is large enough so that this isn't much of a factor, but, hey, for the sake of accuracy, I thought I'd mention it. And beware, the speedo is too low now, so you're speeding a bit more than you think!

BTW, does anyone know how accurate Nissan's speedometer is out of the box in the first place?

#21 ·
I know this is way old but I wanted to comment.

I just went from stock 265/70R16's on my s to bfg 265/75R16 KO's and my speedo is now dead on accurate. before with stock, the speedo was like 2 or 3 mph off to the fast side meaning if it said i was doing 65, i was really doing 62 or 63. Now with the bigger tires, the speedo says 65 when I am doing 65. I confirmed this with my gps before and after the switch. The speedo matches the gps perfectly and my scan guage has been adjusted accordingly.... :) now we shall see true mileage. last fillup i got 22.5 mpg and that was driving no faster than 63mph on interstate and taking it easy. pretty good in my book. If i get at least 22 with same conditions and heavier meats, i will be ecstatic.. 21, happy....

#17 ·
Ski2856 said:
I went from the S stock P265/70 to the LT 265/75 BFG's. I havent noticed any mileage loss with the switch
can I see a pic??? curious how it looks...

#18 ·
I didnt loose any milage with my 285 mud terrains. On the trip to TN I was following mcampana he is running 265 and on the way down i used one more gallon than he did and on the back he used more thn me. Take this as you will but this was my experiance dont let it scare you off. I actually gained 3.5 mpg overnight somehow the only thing i did was change my front and rear diff fluid. now im getting a solid 16.5 to 17 mpg

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.